• In total there are 44 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Recommend a specific book for me to read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
giancarlo_A
Official Newbie!

Recommend a specific book for me to read

Unread post

Hi, could you recommend me some literature? I'm really not a reader, but I wanna change it. I'm looking for something sad, melancholy, but not depressing.. well it's kind of hard to explain... Did you see Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands? So that's what I'm talking about. Some deep story with fine mixture of real world and fantasy. You know just something unbelievably believable. By the way I also really enjoyed Burton's other movies Big Fish and Corpse Bride. I'm open to fairytale books as well. Oh and I hate Harry Potter and LOTR (sorry to say, no offence). Any suggestions?
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Recommend a specific book for me to read

Unread post

My girlfriend doesn't read much and she really enjoyed this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremel ... ibly_Close
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Or you could try Metamorphisis by Franz Kafka. It has a fantasy element and might be a good introduction to some good literature.
Seriphos
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Name Of The Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)
giancarlo_A
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Ptimb: Oh yes Kafka, that's it.
giancarlo_A
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Seriphos: I had a quick look at wikipage about this book and there is a lot of magic inside as well as fantasy creatures, mystical legends... so not for me I guess. There is a reason for what I wrote about hating Harry Potter and LOTR. Not pure fantasy please, I like "fantasy elements" but not "fantasy worlds". You know like movies Forrest Gump and Big Fish - this kind of fantasy, more like imagination and deformed world, telling real stories in unique way and its intentional exaggeration if you catch my drift. More like children dreams, that type of fantasy. Not dragons and magic.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

My first thought was Metamorphosis, and I see that's been taken. You can also try other books by Kafka which while they may not have the grotesque element in them they do share a blending of reality and of course the Kafkaesque.

This is more off the track, but I'm also thinking of William Gibson, and in particular Neuromancer. I will also suggest Sputnik Sweetheart by Murakami, again not really what you're asking for but there is a strong melancholic tone to the book and a blurring of reality and, besides all that, I find Murakami to be absolutely an wonderful writer. As with Kafka while one book is specifically mentioned for this author they all pretty much fit the same bill.

Actually looking back now at your initial post I think these two suggestions very much conform to your wants.

One more, if you really want to experience deformed worlds try Thomas Pynchon. One more, again, is The Double by Dostoyevsky, a story that played a part in Kafka writing Metamorphosis.
Last edited by Kevin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
giancarlo_A
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thank you Kevin, I'll definitely look into it.
Seriphos
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

If a movie of warped reality then Pans Labyrinth, in book form check out Luminarium (also the wiki doesn't do The Name of the Wind justice.)
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Have you read any of the British author, Philip Pullman? His trilogy "His Dark Materials" is very good. A bit of a crossover from a YA to an adult book. But there is some challenging stuff in there. It is set partly in the real world, and also in a fantasy world. Very gripping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/His-Dark-Materi ... 384&sr=1-1
Emma Clark Lam
Blogger and author of Kindle book, A Sister for Margot
"Such an enjoyable read and the quality of the writing was what made it so. I could not put it down..." - Amazon review

Emma's blog

Return to “Everything Else”