• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Reading Lists - Selections for Further Study by Our Members

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Reading Lists - Selections for Further Study by Our Members

Unread post

For now...post all suggestions for reading list books here. I want Chris to have input, so we can modify all this later. If the suggestions are all in one thread, I can move them around later.If you add a book to the thread, please try to remember to change the SUBJECT to denote what category it should belong to...use csflim's topics for now as they seem very adequate!-History-Current Affairs & Politics-Evolution-Physics & Cosmology-Religion-Paranormalism and debunkeryOr add a suggested topic. Lets not worry about sub-topics for now.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 3/18/05 10:20 am
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Suggested topic

Unread post

As per my thread in the Book Suggestions folder, I's suggest that we add a topic for:MathematicsI'm also a little surprised that you guys haven't already included a topic to cover the arts, literary criticism, theater, et al. Nor is there a topic to cover philosophy.
CSflim

Re: Suggested topic

Unread post

Well I just came up with those topics off the top of my head as an example. I never meant for them to be definitive. I think that the best way to do this would be to come up with a number of broad topics to use as the "official" ones. People could post recommendations in these threads. Or if someone decided that they wanted to provide a list on a more specific topic, then they could go ahead and do so by creating a new thread. So we could have a Philosophy thread and people could post general interesting philosophy books in there. Then someone else could create a thread if they wanted to create a list on some specific aspect of philosophy.What do people think of this idea?Further, I think there should be a strong emphasis on quality over quantity. Someone posting in a thread a list of 60 book titles and nothing else, is of no use to anybody. A similar etiquette as is found in the Book Suggestion thread should be encouraged ___________________Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?-Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
CSflim

Unread post

Also, people should be encouraged to post a comment about at what level the book is pitched. Can anyone with no prior experience pick up this book, or would a bit of background knowledge be required?. For instance there are a number of popular books about maths out there that can be enjoyed by anyone with no great apptitude for maths, whereas others would actually require you to be able to 'do' the maths under discussion.Just a thought. ___________________Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?-Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Mad:We do have forums for these...if you mean for this thread...as I said, it is temporary until Chris has some input. He may even want a full forum.Any suggestions should have the headin of the topic the poster feels it should go to, as if there WAS a specific forum. We can start with csflim's suggestions and add to it...I dont know...have a ton of sticky threads would be bad...another forum? Up to Chris. I think there may be too many if we add more. A while back, Chris deleted some forums to make the home page more focused.Suggestions are good, but maybe we should not post chit chat here, in this thread. Use the original thread in the "development" forum for that.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
yellowlight

Mathematic book suggestion

Unread post

a good book that is readable on the fundamental concepts of mathematics is "What is Mathematics?" by Richard Courant. First published in 1941, but revised I think in 1996.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Mathematic book suggestion

Unread post

I made a response to this topicin the BookTalk Development forum found here. I'll post more, but here is my general opinion...1. We should discuss this topic in the "BookTalk Development" forum as it pertains to developing the community.2. We should not create any new forums unless absolutely necessary. More forums means our community looks too intimidating to new people, and a forum that doesn't get enough activity makes us look less active than we actually are,3. All book suggestions should go in the book suggestion forum, independent of whether or not they are suggestions for our quarterly selection. Creating new threads is an option, but making too many sticky makes that forum useless. Read my post in that other thread in the booktalk development forum for further explanation.I definitely like this idea, but am always thinking about the big picture and what is best for the community. We don't want a bunch of sticky threads in each forum for book suggestions. We already have a forum for that.I have to go to bed. Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Mathematic book suggestion

Unread post

I'm going to post a bit more on this subject, but I really think we ought to discuss it in the BookTalk Development forum. Please see the "Reading Lists" thread created by CSflim.Chris

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”