• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

RE: Dawkins' BBC Interview/church and 'happiness'

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: RE: Dawkins' BBC Interview/church and 'happiness'

Unread post

Quote:HaloJesus*: for you, Frank. If, he, provably, lived. Oh, and you said,"Frank starts at consciousness and nature ends at instinct."But our conscious selves experience intellectual 'instinct' which has nothing to do with survival, and our instinctive selves can be objectively coerced in to obeying stop signs. I don't completely agree (its most likely just a difference in our use of the word instinct) instinct is what I would label as biological urges and needs. Training yourself and your reflexes to respond to stop signs is a learned skill not instinct. Quote:HaloIt is almost as if you describe your entire physiological Frank as separate from, you, "thinking therefore you are", Frank. I was not trying to spawn a discussion about nature and consciousness; I do know that I am part of nature, created by nature. But without consciousness I could not be Frank either.Heck it's just something I jotted down off of the top of my head, and it sounded good at the time. Later
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: fireworks

Unread post

Quote:NiallHow do you support this assertion? Because of the way it was explained to me by Mad. This unknown thing must topple our current set of scientific theories rendering them completely invalid, and yet remain invisible to our senses. Quote:NiallNo doubt, it is difficult, to imagine a world where the actions of something beyond the potential reach of science could affect the workings of the aspects of reality that can be measured and observed without having some material impact, but that amounts to a lack of imagination. You cannot say that just because you cannot imagine something, it is impossible.But again just because I can imagine something does not mean that a philosophy of doubt should be built around its "potential" existence. First find some evidence of said unknown, then we can consider its impact.Later
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Frank 013: Because of the way it was explained to me by Mad. This unknown thing must topple our current set of scientific theories rendering them completely invalid, and yet remain invisible to our senses.When did I say that?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

MadWhen did I say that? This is an extension of the other thread and we were debating the accuracy of our senses, and our possible "faulty" view of reality, where I misunderstood your argument as the extreme view. Later
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

So... um... did I say it, or didn't I?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I thought you implied it.The implications of faulty senses and our reality being fundamentally different than what we perceive (at the extreme) are confounding.Later Edited by: Frank 013 at: 4/4/07 9:16 pm

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”