Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Put on your dress, cool the Champagne... it is Oscar night! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Nut

Post Put on your dress, cool the Champagne... it is Oscar night!
Nominees 85th Academy Awards

Here are some of the categories:

Best Picture:
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor:
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
Joaquim Phoenix - The Master
Denzel Washington - Flight

Best Actress:
Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

Actor in a Supporting Role:
Alan Arkin - Argo
Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Amy Adams - The Master
Sally Field - Lincoln
Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables
Helen Hunt - The Sessions
Jacki Weaver - The Silver Linings Playboook

Directing
Amour - Michael Haneke
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi - Ang Lee
Lincoln - Steven Spielberg
Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Roussel

Cinematography:
Anna Karenina
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

Writing - Original Screenplay:
Amour
Django Unchained
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

Music - Original Song:
"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice
"Everybody Needs A Best Friend" from Ted
"Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi
"Skyfall" from Skyfall
"Suddenly" from Les Misérables

Music - Original Score
Anna Karenina
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

Documentary Feature:
5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man

Documentary Short:
Inocente
Kings Point
Mondays at Racine
Open Heart
Redemption

...whom are you crossing your fingers for?

[edited to highlight the winners]

Last edited by Aomame on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:46 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Put on your dress, cool the Champagne... it is Oscar night!
It'd be funny if "Django Unchained" won some awards, because then Tarantino could go on a very entertaining "in your face" press tour :D

also i'm hoping Hugh Jackmans "singing" in Les Mis doesn't get any encouragement :lol: (just kidding) (well he does "sing" better than Crowe or is that a crow)

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Nut

Uhh, so what is your pick on the best actress, best movie and so on?

Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Amor is best foreign movie. And the main actress Emmanuelle Riva is having her 86 birthday(!). Wow!

Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Hah, best Supporting Actor is Christoph Waltz and best Supporting Actress is Anne Hathaway!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Adele on stage now - oh, I love that girl!!!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

shreee. I do not have a tv - I only see what she is doing. Would love to see "Skyfall" live...

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Adele won the Oscar for Skyfall!!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Original Screenplay: Django Unchained!!!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Ang Lee Best Director for Life of Pi!!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Jennifer Lawrence!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Aomame wrote:
Uhh, so what is your pick on the best actress, best movie and so on?

i haven't really seen any of these properly (all the way through) except "Django Unchained" and "Skyfall" so i have not much to relate to in all of this.

i've been mainly watching old pre '63 stuff. i accidently downloaded several episodes of "kleiner roter tractor" which seemed quite well done! :lol:

oh and watching some old old twilight zone eps.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

oh, i see the oscars will be on australian telly tonight 9:30, i will be asleep no doubt and miss the whole thing.

Last edited by youkrst on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:50 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Kleiner roter Traktor? I just had to look that up - I have never seen it.

I missed the last part, but as I was only seeing the livestream from ABC where the happening was discussed but not fully shown, it was not too much fun. Maybe next year!

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

i caught seth, joseph and daniel doing their little musical number and that was enough for me.... off to bed :D i probably missed a great show.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next