Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Professor Stephen Hawking - The Man, The Physicist 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Experienced

Post Professor Stephen Hawking - The Man, The Physicist
Someone just sent me this funny (to me) comic about Professor Hawking: http://xkcd.com/799/

I'll be adding videos and links in the coming weeks in this thread, that don't deal with the book, as I don't want to spoil anything for the readers.

The following user would like to thank Jim Watters for this post:
lindad_amato
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Experienced

Post Re: Professor Stephen Hawking - The Man, The Physicist

The following user would like to thank Jim Watters for this post:
lindad_amato
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am
Profile Email WWW
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

I don't know if he says it in that documentary, but I remember him saying that because of his disease he thinks slower than the average person. I found that amazing because my brain probably works a lot of faster (maybe?) and yet I'm still so much stupider in comparison!

It's clear that one of the things that separates the genius from the normal person is that they have the ability to concentrate hard for a long period of time on a question or problem -- so Hawking has to do that even more than the "average" genius.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 am
Profile Email
Experienced

I haven't heard that myself. Usually people with this disease are fully cognitive, trapped in their atrophied bodies. But due to the lack of mobility, they often sit or lay down and can only think. Professor Hawking was already a genius physicist when the disease started effecting him. He had thoughts of suicide though, until he met his first wife Jane IIRC. I think he was able to clear his mind and focus on the complex mathematics in his head, visualizing the math, tinkering with it, and working out solutions. That is amazing. I believe Einstein would often do that as well.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

In Stephen Hawking Robot Voice: Thah-nk you for shay-ring this enligh,ten,ing vidy-yo, I le-rn,d so much from iit.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile Email YIM
Experienced

U R wel-come Mr. Pre-si-dent. I hope you will read my book. Damn, I have crapped in my pants.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile Email WWW
Experienced

BTW: This is the way Professor Hawking used to communicate before he completely lost use of his vocal chords and lips/neck. This is the condition he was in when I first started watching PBS shows about him mid-1980's.

Stephen Hawking (Creation of the Universe)

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:27 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.