• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Problem with evidence

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Problem with evidence

Unread post

Quote:MeasterAuronIsn't it physically possible?Yes but only if all of the prayers are schizophrenic or delusional. Quote:MeasterAuronThe odds of impossible things happening at a macro level are astoundingly low from what I hear.Or impossible, if the impossible happened even once in a millennia life would not be able to exist on this planet.Quote:MeasterAuronWho says it has to be our technology? And how can we be sure of what technology exists.We have physics to help us know what would be possible through technology and what should not. Quote:MeasterAuronThe point of a coincidence is there's no reason it happened it just did due to random unpredictability.Actually coincidence is predicted all of the time it is as reliable as the sun rising. Just as we know that some people will survive what is normally deemed terminal cancer, we can generally predict what events have a chance of being random enough to allow for coincidence. My example is too impossible for coincidence to play a part.Quote:MeasterAuronAnd? Maybe our study is just not advanced enough to understand it.That is always a possibility.Quote:MeasterAuronHow will we be sure that these events are really happening? Even if we did it ourselves how would we know it's not an illusion? The same way we would determine if any earthly action was really happening corroboration. In my example the events would be common enough to allow for study.Later
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Quote:It's impossible to determine without evidence, but about the same as pink space unicorns or Galactic Chickens.We're going in circles here. How do you determine what's evidence without knowing the probability?Quote:Because any scientific answer would be insanely improbable aboveQuote:The simplest answer and so forth...Simplest? Last time I checked science was about finding the right answer no matter how complicated.Quote:Only impossible for them, not the entire planet's population, you are failing to grasp the numbers here or the whole picture. Who's to say that some super advanced culture wouldn't see these things as "impossible for them"Besides your missing the point. The point is a particular word or name associated with something can't be considered evidence that that word or name has is the thing causing that something or even that it has any real purpose or meaning.The whole computer thing is a metaphor to demonstrate this concept.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Nothing against your arguments, but I have simply lost interest in this thread.Later
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Thats fine with me. I've come across very few resolvable debates. This one had clearly reached the point where it wasn't going anywhere. Edited by: MaesterAuron151 at: 1/26/07 11:30 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The problem with evidence is that evidence can screw up a perfectly good belief.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”