• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

A voice for reason

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: A voice for reason

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Carl Sagan smoked weed
Explains a lot.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/goingto/

RIchard Dawkins on the unliklihood of life.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Compiled from another thread:

Mr. Tyson speaks about god, science and the threshold of knowledge.

a snippet:

I simply go with what works. And what works is the healthy skepticism embodied in scientific method. Believe me, if the Bible had ever been shown to be a rich source of scientific answers and understanding, we would be mining it daily for cosmic discovery. Yet my vocabulary of scientific inspiration strongly overlaps with that of religious enthusiasts. I, like Ptolemy, am humbled in the presence of our clockwork universe. When I am on the cosmic frontier, and I touch the laws of physics with my pen, or when I look upon the endless sky from an observatory on a mountaintop, I well up with an admiration for its splendor. But I do so knowing and accepting that if I propose a God beyond that horizon, one who graces our valley of collective ignorance, the day will come when our sphere of knowledge will have grown so large that I will have no need of that hypothesis.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/

UPDATE:

DOH! Those specific pages were moved. The above link will take you to his home page though. Look around. Good stuff to be had.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I like this bit:
Believe me, if the Bible had ever been shown to be a rich source of scientific answers and understanding, we would be mining it daily for cosmic discovery.
God doesn't seem too good at science, or history... or even realizing there is life outside of the ancient Middle East.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Sagan on the Seti program.

http://www.wimp.com/saganseries/
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Sagan speaks about the benefits of space travel.

http://www.wimp.com/goingspace/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Sagan speaks about the benefits of space travel.

http://www.wimp.com/goingspace/
Thanks Johnson, nice video. America has such a Star Trek myth, and cancelling the shuttle program creates a sort of loss of meaning and purpose for a people who have been expanding into new frontiers since Plymouth Rock. My view is that the real next frontier is the ocean, as a way to fix our planet before colonizing space.

Space: the final frontier

Meaning

The first line of the opening voiceover in Star Trek

Origin

This introductory text was spoken at the beginning of many Star Trek television episodes and films:

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about our interconnected universe.

http://vimeo.com/30216052
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Richard Feynman talking about the world.

This guy was good. I gotta get more richard reynman in my life.

-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

about our boy Isaac Newton.

http://www.wimp.com/isaacnewton/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”