• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The House of the Spirits; Rosa the Beautiful

#101: Nov. - Dec. 2011 (Fiction)
Damifino
Intern

Re: The House of the Spirits; Rosa the Beautiful

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica wrote: When it comes to Rosa's and Esteban's relationship - it did feel a bit off. It's not that she didn't love him, she was simply immersed in her own world. And he was allured by her beauty and the aura of mysticism surrounding her. I found it endearing that the guy was willing to sacrifice for Rosa and work hard to accommodate enough wealth to set up a life together at a decent level. The numerous letters he wrote are a proof it was not just pure lust.
I was thinking that Esteban was more inclined to be in love with the notion of being in love. A big crush that went too far.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I still have some posts on page 2 to read but I need to take my dog out for his morning hoof.

I am enjoying the book and now realize that I will get more out of it by reading it with a group. I never would of connected Barrabas like you guys. I just thought of him as some big Irish Wolfhound. Some symbolism goes over my head. Okay most of it goes over my head.

Too bad Uncle Marco had to die. I thought he was a fun character and would love to read his life story.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I know this question is off topic but could someone please direct me to a thread here at Book Talk on how to post pictures. I have done a search and nothing is jumping out at me.

Thanks
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Damifino wrote: how to post pictures
Look at the cryptically titled BBCode Explained - http://www.booktalk.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode
It explains how to use the [img] wraparound for jpg and similar files
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I’m still thinking about the link between Barrabas and Uncle Marcos. Barrabas the biblical thief lived while Jesus died. The dog Barrabas arrives caged, and is set free, while Uncle Marcos has died. Do you think that together with his ‘magical books’ (the scriptures?) we are to see him as a Jesus figure.
I also thought the scene where the crowds arrive to view his forthcoming aerial journey very reminiscent of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. ‘groups of elementary-school children paraded with their teachers, clutching flowers for the hero’. Then of course, Uncle Marcos ‘ascends’ in his bird and dies only to be reborn again. ‘Marcos’s heroic resurrection made everyone forget about his barrel-organ phase’.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Damifino - I'm sure you asked somewhere what time the book is set in. (Can't find the post now) I've been puzzling over this too. The family own a Ford? Sunbeam. Production started in about 1925, and the family had it for ten years. So I would think the events happen between 1915 -20 at the beginning. Esteban lives to be 90 just after the time of the coup, which was in 1973, and was 25 at the start of the narrative, so he was born about 1890. Maths not my best subject!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

heledd wrote:I’m still thinking about the link between Barrabas and Uncle Marcos. Barrabas the biblical thief lived while Jesus died. The dog Barrabas arrives caged, and is set free, while Uncle Marcos has died. Do you think that together with his ‘magical books’ (the scriptures?) we are to see him as a Jesus figure.
I also thought the scene where the crowds arrive to view his forthcoming aerial journey very reminiscent of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. ‘groups of elementary-school children paraded with their teachers, clutching flowers for the hero’. Then of course, Uncle Marcos ‘ascends’ in his bird and dies only to be reborn again. ‘Marcos’s heroic resurrection made everyone forget about his barrel-organ phase’.
This makes a lot of sense. Marcos's harebrained mechanical bird is reminiscent of the ascension of Jesus Christ into heaven. His magical books are the main inspiration for Clara, as we will read later, providing the heart and soul of the house of the spirits. The travels of Marcos to Tibet etc suggest the apocryphal stories of the journeys of Christ to the east.

I will have to look it up, but I was confused about how Barrabas arrives at the very start without mention of Marcos, and then we later learn that he belonged to Marcos.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Damifino wrote: how to post pictures
Look at the cryptically titled BBCode Explained - http://www.booktalk.org/faq.php?mode=bbcode
It explains how to use the [img] wraparound for jpg and similar files
Thanks. Too bad it wasn't in English. Think there is some hidden meaning in there just like The House of the Spirits. :shock: Kidding.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
I will have to look it up, but I was confused about how Barrabas arrives at the very start without mention of Marcos, and then we later learn that he belonged to Marcos.
Didn't Marcos get sick from some African plague (I'm thinking yellow fever) and died on a ship? The captain of the ship, Longfellow had wanted to throw him overboard but because Uncle Marcos made some friends on the ship he wasn't allowed. Longfellow had to send the coffin and all of Marcos's paraphernalia to his sister's house. Barrabas was included.

Oh darn....that wasn't your question.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Clara finds Barrabas who's cage has been abandoned in the commotion of the uncle's body being brought back, so at first she is unaware of his death. What amazes me about the writing is how much information Allende manages to give about the characters, while at the same time talking about the church service.

Return to “The House of the Spirits - by Isabel Allende”