Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 3:32 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
WANTED: Quality non-fiction book suggestions for December and January! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: WANTED: Quality non-fiction book suggestions for December and January!
Please notice the "Guns, Germs and Steels" forum has been pulled out of the Archives forum for a brand new book discussion. :-)

We can still continue this thread and possibly select another non-fiction book for December and January.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

Only a third of the way through Arguably? I've been debating whether to buy it or not, because its not available at my library

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:36 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Heledd wrote:
Only a third of the way through Arguably? I've been debating whether to buy it or not, because its not available at my library

Arguably is definitely worth buying. It is informative, engaging, provocative and entertaining, covering a wide range of interesting topics as listed in the forum. Hitchens is a brilliant and eclectic writer, and never dull.

Most of the essays are available on the internet, and I have linked the ones I like in the threads as we have been discussing them. If you read a few there you can try before you buy. There are still a lot of essays in it that we have not yet discussed, and that would keep us going through December.

Arguably Booktalk Forum: arguably-essays-by-christopher-hitchens-by-christopher-hitchens-f182.html

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor, heledd
Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

Oh ok. I will try and get it for my Kindle. I assumed the discussion would be almost over. am also waiting for the library to get me The House of the Spirits

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

I sent a message to Chris O'Conner earlier, to see if it's OK to suggest my own book. He assures me it is, so here goes;

My book might be a bit of a change for non-fiction readers here, but I think it would be an interesting possibility. Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything, just came out on 11/1/11. It is a memoir published by Sourcebooks.

In short, it is about my father, a WWII veteran, who began experiencing flashbacks and nightmares more than 50-years after the war. I began asking him questions, hoping to find a way to help him. What I discovered over the course of several years, is that he hadn't sat behind a desk during the war, as he'd lead me to believe all my life. He'd actually been a top secret code breaker, and was in two major battles of the war. It was this work that laid the foundation for the greatest trauma of his life.

Given the subject of the book, I think this would be a great book to start people talking about story-telling, family secrets, and the power of story to change lives. It's a great discussion book and I'd be happy to participate in any way you all see fit. My hope with the book, is to inspire others to get their own family histories written down. I could also talk about the writing and publishing process.

So, there you have it, for what it's worth. Thank you for considering, Breaking the Code. If you'd like to read an excerpt, click on the link to my website in my signature line. My father and I were also just interviewed on NPR - you can listen to it here; http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =142072750 . ~Karen

out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon

The following user would like to thank Karen Fisher-Alaniz for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks Karen. :)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile Email WWW
Doctorate

That sounds interesting Karen. I've just finished a book by Denis Avey who was a prisoner of war in World War 2 and actually swapped places with a guy in Auschwitz to see for himself what conditions there were like. He also describes the trauma of the post war years.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

This thread is being closed and locked. Not enough non-fiction books we're suggested and the feedback was virtually non-existent. As I'd said before under our current book selection process feedback on the suggestions your fellow members make is the backbone of the process. Without feedback we have no means of knowing if anyone other than the person who suggested the book will actually read and discuss it.

We can try this again in a few weeks with a new thread. As of right now we have "Arguably" to discuss and "Guns, Germs and Steel" was pulled from the archives and made an active forum again. Hopefully you can join those discussions. :)

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2