• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Original Poetry

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Original Poetry

Unread post

As a suggested title for this poem, with tongue well in cheek, how about ‘Tale of Two Swans’ or
‘Song of Two Swans’ –

The poem may be more of a tale than a song but I like ‘song’. I do see some parallel with the expression ‘swan song’, although less than perfect as this duo are not a step from death’s door. The swan is beautiful and graceful and clearly, this couple see beauty in each other no matter the ravages of age. Swans are notoriously argumentative; they seem to enjoy a good round of hissing and pecking and wing flapping but then will settle down quite peacefully, perhaps waiting for the right moment for round two. And 'white' swans might suggest the last line 'washed cleanly of their sins'.

Not sure any of this makes sense but that is my reasoning.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I had to look up the meaning of 'swan song'. The more common modern usage is a last performance before retirement rather than the last song of the swan before death. I thought that this fit in nicely with 'inharmonious' and the line, It reached a sweet crescendo, and retirement suggests the beginning of a new phase of life rather than the end of life as in the mythical 'swan song'. I have never pictured swans as being argumentative, maybe geese, but not swans.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Sea of Love

Sleek ship’s a-sail,
Tall masts and mighty beam,
Navigating the brightest stars,
Upon a constant, boundless sea.

Not shore, nor shoal, nor swell,
Nor worn plank or blissful barnacle
Can impede her speed or trouble
Her firmly held rudder.

Not young, not old, but in between,
Upon a shining sea of love,
A family’s love,
She sails the steady current and gentle breeze.

Untold horizons, far places to be,
The sea of love shapes her destiny.
Sal_McCoy
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Sunrise at Byron
Captured in the sand
And the dew on the leaves
Whip birds'
sonic scythes
Cut the canopy
While bush turkeys
Sort the fallen
Debris
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

The Pets Add Life campaign holds a poetry contest for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders - I'm really amazed at how good some of the poems are! You can read them here: http://petsaddlife.org/poetry_contest/

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”