• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Suggestions needed for November/December fiction discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Suggestions needed for November/December fiction discussion

Unread post

I agree with that. Many of us do not have easy access, especially to new titles. So when do you actually decide on what book to discusss, and do you only do one at a time?
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

Looks like I can get this one from my local library easy enough. Not sure if I am allowed to vote as I am a newbie.
In the first post Suzanne explains that you need 25 or more posts to vote. You currently have 18. Keep posting quality stuff and you'll soon be able to vote.

-- Chris O'Connor
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I read Allende's 'Island Beneath the Sea' not too long ago and I'd be intreested to read another Allende for comparison.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

heledd wrote:So when do you actually decide on what book to discusss, and do you only do one at a time?
We only have one main fiction disscusion.

This thread will remain open for suggestions until October 21. The two to three novels that receive the most positive feedback will go into a poll. The poll will be open on Sat, Oct. 22.

There is a nice selection of novels for this discussion, making a decision is going to be difficult.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Aqueda_Veronica:

There is an interest in your suggestion of Polish Literature. It is a great suggestion by the way. Which book would you recommend we read if your nomination does in fact get selected. There is enough positive feedback for a Bruno Schulz novel to be placed in the poll.

Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hi Suzanne :)

As I've mentioned in my previous post I haven't read them just yet. To be honest they are considered as w whole set and usually published in one volume. The theme, place of action, style and even the narrator's name are the same in both short stories collections.
If we have to choose just one title, let's go for "The Street of Crocodiles" since it was published first. To be honest I'll probably read both anyway while on it.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I'm interested to seeing how this works for you guys. How you pick a book.

Also I am surprised more people haven't put in their suggestions. I mean...when I read a good book I want to shout it out. I have less then 25 posts so I'm out.

I am not understanding why you give a book 2 months to read.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Damifino wrote:I'm interested to seeing how this works for you guys. How you pick a book.

Also I am surprised more people haven't put in their suggestions. I mean...when I read a good book I want to shout it out. I have less then 25 posts so I'm out.

I think it's just to give everyone enough time to read the book, digest it, & share their thoughts with everyone. Everyone has different work/class schedules, so sometimes a little extra time is needed. Plus, everyone reads at a different pace. n_n
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I agree with Damifino. I don't have enough contribtutions to post either, but when I read a good book I want to tell everyone about it, but no one is ever interested! Is why I joined this site I suppose. But the two month thing doesn't really matter because the forums stay open for a couple of years, from what I can see. I've just finished the Joyce Carol Oates 'The Falls' and am gradually working my way through the various topic discussions on the forum. So there was no fear of being told the end of the book before I got there. There is also a section here, I note where you can start your own book discussions. I might do that.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Damifino wrote:I'm interested to seeing how this works for you guys. How you pick a book.

Although a 25 post minimum is needed to vote, all members are encouraged to participate in the book discussion once the novel has been selected. There are four novels in the poll, and each one was given positive feedback during the the suggestion phase. The amount and the quality of the novels suggested were high.

Most novels are given a two month discussion period, however, the novel is always open if the discussion runs over this period. We have had novels in the past where a three month period was given to fully explore the novel.

The poll for the next fiction discussion is now open for votes. Please check it out! The book that receives the most votes will be the next fiction discussion novel.
:)

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”