• In total there are 27 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

My New Favorite Typo

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

My New Favorite Typo

Unread post

I like to note typos--doesn't Leno or Letterman have a segment on this? My new favorite comes from a scholarly book on the Declaration of Independence. In Gary Will's article we find the following sentence: "He [Jefferson] had a low regard for Geek metaphysicians in general and for Aristotle's politics in particular."
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: My New Favorite Typo

Unread post

DWill wrote:I like to note typos--doesn't Leno or Letterman have a segment on this? My new favorite comes from a scholarly book on the Declaration of Independence. In Gary Will's article we find the following sentence: "He [Jefferson] had a low regard for Geek metaphysicians in general and for Aristotle's politics in particular."
I had to read this sentence many times before I found the typo. One, I am not a very good proof reader and two, our brains are set-up to fill in the missing pieces (this was a good example of how our brains can lead us astray) - mine supplied the missing r. Interestingly, Google is also set-up to correct or fill in the missing or misplaced letters.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think if readers don't focus so much at the word level, they'll miss the typos. Reading more at the sentence level is said to be the most efficient, but it's not what I do. I usually pick up on typos (except the ones that I commit!).
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I think if readers don't focus so much at the word level, they'll miss the typos. Reading more at the sentence level is said to be the most efficient, but it's not what I do. I usually pick up on typos (except the ones that I commit!).
I had the opposite experience. When I was reading the sentence I could not find the typo. It was when I just looked at each word that I found it, then I am backwards in most things.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

If you are really interested in finding typos, or are considering becoming a proof reader, one of the most effective techniques is to read backwards, starting at the end of the work and reading word-for-word from back to front. This, however, is far from an enjoyable experience, so I wouldn't recommend it for the average reader who is not interested in or engaged in proof reading.

One problem with finding typos (especially if the writer is editing his/her own work), is that once you read through a passage and miss the typos that exist, a mental image of correctness is created and stored in the brain. After that, when reading the same passage over again, the mental image will often block out the errors that were missed initially. This is one reason why most authors have several "readers," who read through their work before it is even submitted to the publisher's editing crew. The more eyes that see the work, the better chance there is of finding typos, because we all read differently, and what one person does not see will be seen by another.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote:[Jefferson] had a low regard for Geek metaphysicians
We would be likely to see this one these days as a Freudian slip, except that there were no Geeks in Jefferson's day. All geeks are metaphysicians aren't they?
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

LOL Typos always make me laugh. And my brain seems to always catch them - except in my own writing, probably.
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

You can get some quite funny phrases in the short stories in Gambian newspapers. The level of English is sometimes not very high.
One story stated that 'he was a bad man, and had been an arm robber'. Another that 'Jane came into the sitting room with a toilet tied around her chest half naked. Tunde’s eyes screwed around her body. As he tried to turn his eyes Jane teased him with suggestive words. “Am I not beautiful?
http://www.foroyaa.gm/modules/news/arti ... oryid=7585,
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”