• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Mote in God's Eye

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

The Mote in God's Eye

Unread post

I was going through some boxes of my dad's old books, and was intrigued by the title of this one. It's by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, and one of the quotes on the back was from Robert Heinlein, who said, "Possibly the finest science fiction novel I have ever read." I'm about halfway through and am beginning to think Heinlein was right. It is a first-alien-contact story, but it's different in the sense that this first contact occurs in 3017, after the earth-based Empire of Man has already traveled to the stars and established a vast network of settled planets. The alien culture is completely different from most I've read about in other SF novels, but I won't go into that because I don't want to give anything away. Anyway, unless something changes drastically, I think this is going to end up being one of my favorite SF novels. :D
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Mote in God's Eye

Unread post

Thanks! I know one of Heinlein's books is touted as the best sometimes, so I'll definitely check this out. Stranger in a Strange Land was the one I was thinking of.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: The Mote in God's Eye

Unread post

I've got an old paperback of this somewhere, and had forgotten all about it. I read it back in the '70s, I think, but now that you've reminded me, I'm going to dig it out and read it again. Thanks!
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/

Return to “What are you currently reading?”