• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What's Your Favorite 'Bad' Movie?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: What's Your Favorite 'Bad' Movie?

Unread post

Why does every occupation have to be neutered? Linda Hamilton is hot, but she is an ACTRESS, not an ACTOR. And, there's nothing demeaning about being an ACTRESS. So, why the trend to label every person in a movie or play an "actor"? I know, political correctness. A damned plague upon mankind, if you ask me.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

James Vaught wrote:she is an ACTRESS, not an ACTOR..
I am afraid you are mistaken in thinking that the word "actor" refers only to the male of the species. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with "political" correctness; it has to do with grammatical correctness:

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

Actor \Ac"tor\, n. [L. actor, fr. agere to act.]
1. One who acts, or takes part in any affair; a doer.
[1913 Webster]

2. A theatrical performer; a stageplayer.
[1913 Webster]

After a well graced actor leaves the stage. --Shak.
[1913 Webster]

3. (Law)
(a) An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes.
--Jacobs.
(b) One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
[1913 Webster]e
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
dmalcolm
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Big Trouble in Little China! It's so cheesy yet I always find myself watching it when it comes on TV.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

What! Big Trouble in Little China is a classic Kurt Russell movie! Ok its a bit cheesy but I think its intended that way, like his Escape from NY/LA movies .... baddest movie ever has to be "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" .. an epic on the bad scale .... late 70's, spoof of B movies, but a spoof that in itself is really terrible ... but somehow memorable. I saw if for the first time in a falling apart cinema, sort of grubby old place with bad popcorn that I'm sure has since been condemned .. a really bad movie in a dump of cinema, hard to forget.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

giselle wrote:"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"
I had completely forgotten this one, but you're right, it was one bad movie - good for a laugh or two, but that's about all.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Avid Reader wrote:Linda Hamilton (T2), who is one of my favorite actors.
Yes, she is one of my favorite actors as well.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
dmalcolm
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Ok, I guess you could call Big Trouble in Little China classic Kurt Russell. Maybe I'm not getting the criteria for a "bad" movie.
James Vaught

Unread post

Avid Reader:

Thanks for that English lesson. I assumed "actor" and "actress" had been accepted as substitutes for male and female "actors" to the point each had become standard, until the political correctness crowd horned in. You learn something new every day.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

dmalcolm wrote:Ok, I guess you could call Big Trouble in Little China classic Kurt Russell. Maybe I'm not getting the criteria for a "bad" movie.
Oh, I was just yanking your chain. I think Big Trouble is quite a bad movie but I think Kurt Russell does an awesome job of parody of the tough guy, in this movie and in his Snake Plisken role, and so perhaps there is some redeeming value to his movies for that reason.
DamianLake

Unread post

Well, this is turning into quite a trip down memory lane! I remember Killer Tomatoes, and the various sequels, (dear god, can you believe they actually made "Killer Tomatoes Eat France"?). Funny, though...the only actual scene I can remember from any of those movies was the one where the black guy went undercover in a horrible tomato outfit and blew his cover by asking for ketchup when they were cooking out around the camp fire. Looking at the movie poster, I am surprised to see it labeled as a musical?? I can't remember a single tune from it, aside from the opening song;

Attack of the killer tomatoes!
Attack of the killer tomatoes!
Something, something, something, whatever, something else, yada-yada-yada, repeat.

As for my own opinion on "Big Trouble in Little China", I've never considered that one a bad movie, even though some people seem to. :) In fact, it tends to show up on top lists when people do top favorite movies, or top favorite fantasy flicks, or similar such things. The humor has always been the perfect accompaniment to the fantastical elements of the plot in Little China. Plus, I've loved Victor Wong in almost every role he ever played.

As for Mr. Destiny, I remember watching it, but it didn't really ring my bells one way or the other. It was more or less a retelling of the old Christmas Carol tale, as I recall, but didn't stand out one way or the other. Was it really considered a bad movie?

Last edited by DamianLake on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”