Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 1:24 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What non-fiction book would you like to discuss next?? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: What non-fiction book would you like to discuss next??
I don't think we have enough people involved in this process to do a poll and select a book. This is a bit discouraging. Maybe it is because it is summer and people are too busy for talking about books. I'm not sure.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Upper Echelon 3rd Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Book Discussion Leader
Silver Contributor

Well it is the 150th anniversary of the start of the U.S. Civil War. I don't have a specific suggestion at the moment, but if the topic is too radical, we can probably select one that includes religion. :?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:23 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

I'm still interested in anythingother than Quantum Physics.

The following user would like to thank lindad_amato for this post:
wilde
Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I almost think sticky topics get less activity. I'm going to unstick this now and see what happens.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/145550 ... 1455502774

The first new book of essays by Christopher Hitchens since 2004, ARGUABLY offers an indispensable key to understanding the passionate and skeptical spirit of one of our most dazzling writers, widely admired for the clarity of his style, a result of his disciplined and candid thinking. Topics range from ruminations on why Charles Dickens was among the best of writers and the worst of men to the haunting science fiction of J.G. Ballard; from the enduring legacies of Thomas Jefferson and George Orwell to the persistent agonies of anti-Semitism and jihad. Hitchens even looks at the recent financial crisis and argues for arthe enduring relevance of Karl Marx. The book forms a bridge between the two parallel enterprises of culture and politics. It reveals how politics justifies itself by culture, and how the latter prompts the former. In this fashion, ARGUABLY burnishes Christopher Hitchens' credentials as-to quote Christopher Buckley-our "greatest living essayist in the English language."

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

My top three from those suggested are

"Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by TS Kuhn
"Arguably" by Christopher Hitchens

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Robert Tulip wrote:
My top three from those suggested are

"Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
"The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by TS Kuhn
"Arguably" by Christopher Hitchens

I agree with Robert

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OK, then I guess I should do a poll. I was hoping to have more people involved. Maybe if I send an email to the entire community. I hate doing that because some people consider it spam.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:26 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Chris, I note in going over past discussions, an odd lack of books on the writing/editing/publishing process. It seems that, in this forum, there would be great interest in such books, however, I could be wrong. I do think that dedicated readers, not to mention authors, would be interested in learning more about the processes that go into producing the books they read and/or write. And I am not referring here to self-help books on how to write or getting published or promoting your own self-published book. I'm talking about books that tell inside stories from editors, authors and the publishing industry. I have a book in mind, but I wanted to wait to see if there is any feedback on this proposal before making a suggestion. One problem might be that, since these kinds of books are seldom best sellers, folks would have to find and read them first. Let me know what you think, and if you know from past experience that such books do not garner much interest.

The following user would like to thank R. LeBeaux for this post:
Avid Reader, Robert Tulip
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

R. LeBeaux wrote:
books that tell inside stories from editors, authors and the publishing industry.
Indeed, opening this mysterious black box would be interesting. I am hoping we will discuss Infidel next, but it would be good to plan ahead to discuss the process of communicating in print.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Avid Reader
Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist

R. LeBeaux wrote:
I do think that dedicated readers, not to mention authors, would be interested in learning more about the processes that go into producing the books they read and/or write.

I'm just a reader, not an author or editor, but I like this idea. I have a feeling the process is more complicated that we readers can imagine.

The following user would like to thank Avid Reader for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:49 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

The details have been cryptic so far, but Sam Harris apparently has a short book (possibly an e-book) coming out soon. Don't really know much about it, but I'd read it when it comes out. He did mention the idea of writing an e-book about free will a while ago, not sure if this is it.

http://www.samharris.org/media/lying/

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
Avid Reader
Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:50 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2