• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Part I: Gatekeeper's Testimony, The Bride, The Fossil-Seeker

#99: Sept. - Oct. 2011 (Fiction)
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Part I: Gatekeeper's Testimony, The Bride, The Fossil-Seeker

Unread post

Giselle,
I hadn't thought of that while reading the chapters, but you make a very good point. These chapters set the stage for the state of mind in which Ariah will function going forward.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

In her comment Giselle mentioned that the characters' states of mind were "fractured". Did anyone notice the used of mirrors in The Bride? They are foggy, broken and Ariah is unable to look at herself in them. It's a great metaphor for her psyche.
Pegasus796
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

giselle wrote: This does make the story harder to follow, especially if you put the book down for a while and come back to it. In The Falls, I think Oates uses this technique to some advantage because the non-sequential narrative emphasizes the sate of mind of the main characters, perhaps confused, disoriented, stressed and leading lives that are fractured by events.
I don't think it's particularly hard to follow as it's annoying. I respect that it is likely to add to the characters' frame of mind or possibly the disorienting effects of the falls. I do find it interesting that the fossil-seeker is the only Reverend who is rooted more to the ground than the sky. Perhaps the schism he experiences is a deep-seeded desire to become a scientist instead of a reverend. Perhaps he felt he had no control over his life and his only way to regain it was to cast himself into the mercy of the falls. I do love your notice of the socks and I have to agree. His approach to his clothes was merely as a facilitator towards his final destination.

Lindad:
I too noticed the setting of the room and how it reflected Ariah's state of mind. Her debilitating shyness was also evident in her approach to finding her husband's whereabouts. Instead of seeking him out, she timidly calls.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:In her comment Giselle mentioned that the characters' states of mind were "fractured". Did anyone notice the used of mirrors in The Bride? They are foggy, broken and Ariah is unable to look at herself in them. It's a great metaphor for her psyche.
I did notice the mirrors and the metaphor. But then I think the reader is sometimes 'setup' to believe certain things. I may be off track but I am increasingly suspicious of Ariah. Is she a distraught woman who's husband committed suicide within 24 hours of their marriage? maybe .. but she didn't love the Reverend and apparently he did not love her. she does some stuff which is a bit suspicious, like denying the existence of a suicide note ... and then what is the real reason she becomes the widow-bride in such an obsessive way, to the point of making absolutely sure she is there to identify her husband's body? is she fractured, brittle, living in a fog like the mist of the falls ... or is she haunted by the possibility that he is still alive? these are just wild guesses, i really have no idea, only a vague suspicion.
Pegasus796
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

giselle wrote: (Ariah) she does some stuff which is a bit suspicious, like denying the existence of a suicide note ... and then what is the real reason she becomes the widow-bride in such an obsessive way, to the point of making absolutely sure she is there to identify her husband's body? is she fractured, brittle, living in a fog like the mist of the falls ... or is she haunted by the possibility that he is still alive? these are just wild guesses, i really have no idea, only a vague suspicion.
I agree that this is by no means a sound, solid character. She's downright dimwitted and naive so far, but I do find it believable that she wouldn't immediately accept the death of her husband and that it would be such a haunting shock. She barely knew the man and he was exceptionally young, even for the era this is written for. From my experiences, her reaction is plausible and not defamatory to her character, in fact, I think it adds to her naivete.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I don't really see Ariah as naiive and dimwitted. Maybe a bit flighty and inexperienced with men, but then again this might be a put on. I'm reading the chapter where Dirk drives out to see her in Troy. They have an interesting reunion. Dirk's mother is certainly messed up. Their history of near-incest must impact on both of them. I think Oates is building up toward some larger revelations beyond this character stuff. There are things going on in the background, or perhaps baggage that they carry, which is affecting the characters behavior. They all seem oddly off balance.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Did anyone notice The Bride's comment that she had so hoped to marry that she would "exchange her soul" for an engagement ring? That's some pretty strong foreshadowing.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Wow, I'm impressed so far, great writing, inventive, unusual approach and I quite like the way it jumps back and forth in time and narration and viewing events through new eyes and in varying chronological sequences. The style is really interesting, actually quite brilliant, as are the characters. I felt so sorry for this sad, sad honeymoon couple, pushed together by expectation of what 'should' be, a reationship doomed before it ever got started, for even though they were getting married they really were not more than aquaintances. And what a dismal beginning, that honeymoon night, and a dismal end as it turns out.

I like the setting of Niagra falls. I've only ever seen the falls in pictures, but I think that I would find it quite uncomfortable to be close to them watching that powerful water surge over the abyss. The closest thing I can think of to this is when I've been in Hawaii and watched 30 foot waves crashing toward shore. The power of that much water does have a huge affect on a person.

I had thought I'd be behind in my reading, as I just got my book this weekend, but now I see I have moved quite far ahead. I'd better slow down.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Did anyone notice The Bride's comment that she had so hoped to marry that she would "exchange her soul" for an engagement ring? That's some pretty strong foreshadowing.
I did notice this comment and wondered if it was simply a measure of her desperation for marriage or had deeper meaning .. I suspect it is the latter.
smileyface123123
Master Debater

Unread post

I think Ariah was very suspicious when she didn't tell about the note. It's almost as if she could ignore it, it would go away. She was very driven, going to the falls day after day. I think she was trying to push the truth away by doing that. She was desperate to keep the truth away from everyone, including herself. I think she is somewhat naive, but not dimwitted.

Return to “The Falls: A Novel (P.S.) by Joyce Carol Oates”