Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Suggestions needed for our September/October fiction discussion 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Re: Suggestions needed for our September/October fiction discussion
Thank you for the suggestion, Suzanne, to start my own book discussion of The Lost Valley (1921) by J. M. Walsh in the unlikely event it is not the finalist. Doing that would not have occurred to me if you had not mentioned that as an option.

I like your suggestion of a Joyce Carol Oates book even more than my own now. She appears to be a well-regarded as well as popular author.

About ten years ago, while browsing in my library, I noticed her works spanned an entire shelf and overflowed into a second one. I was curious about that because I knew nothing of her. So, I picked one of the books at random, an earlier one I believe, whose title I no longer recall. I read the first 15 pages or so, but it didn't grab my interest; I put it down and never picked it up again. So, I still don't know what her appeal is! But I am willing and eager to give her another try. My point is that some of her work may very well be more accessible than others.

I therefore think we would be wise to be careful in selecting the work we read in order that it have the optimum chance of appealing to a first-time reader of her corpus. Perhaps we could solicit some advice on which work would be best for our purposes from a well-versed Joyce Carol Oates afficionado? Or is there a literary reason in particular you were recommending The Falls?

Dan Quigley

Last edited by DanQuigley on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank DanQuigley for this post:
Chris OConnor, Suzanne
Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:04 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

A good way to sample the writing of Joyce Carol Oates would be to read some of her short stories.

Wild Nights was really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nights-Stori ... 0061434795

I started reading JCO when I was in HS. The first novel I ever read by her was, Them. This novel has also been praised by critics. Another novel of hers, Blonde, has also been praised as one of her best.

I believe Lindad suggested The Falls, maybe she will chime in as to other JCO novels that would be good for a disscusion.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Blon ... Books_7275

Go to the site above to see descriptions of many of JCO's novels. I also enjoyed "We Were the Mulvaney's", among others. She has written 50 books. Quite a career.

The following user would like to thank lindad_amato for this post:
DanQuigley, Suzanne
Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Are any of you interested in making some non-fiction suggestions? We have a thread up requesting non-fiction book suggestions but so far the thread is a ghost town.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Yeah, I'll make a couple of suggestions. I don't usually go for the nonfiction selections, so I'm interested to see what book is picked this time.

Shelfari!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Thanks for mentioning that site, lindad. I read the description of several of her works - she sure likes short story collections - and found The Falls to appear the most interesting of them after all. A nice, juicy, complicated family drama!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:09 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

Suzanne: are you still looking for more fiction selections or are we ready to put this to the 'vote'?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Book General

Silver Contributor

giselle wrote:
Suzanne: are you still looking for more fiction selections or are we ready to put this to the 'vote'?

I think it's time to put this to a vote. There will be two novels in the poll.

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

and

The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:59 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2