• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Don't give creationists the attention they crave

#96: May - July 2011 (Non-Fiction)
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Don't give creationists the attention they crave

Unread post

ant wrote:
You say science and religion should be reconciled.
Not to quibble with words, but I said I believe science and religion CAN be reconciled, not SHOULD be. :)
If you thought they could be reconciled, why wouldn't you think they should be?

If by reconciliation you mean answering questions about the origin of life or the universe, then if religion could say something about it with any evidence whatsoever, it would cease to be religion -- it would be science.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Ant wrote:There seems to be an arrogant animosity exhibited by people who support science in a dogmatic way, while turning their nose up at people who subscribe to doctrines of faith.
This is an understandable reaction to points that crop up in religious debates. I've seen science attacked in many different ways, many of which boil down to the fact that science does not give absolute answers.

Science embodies trial and error. If we try it and it doesn't fail, we hang on to it until it does fail, or until we can think up something better to try. That isn't absolute, but it's the best we can possibly do. The position of a creationist or literalist is that the divine inspiration given during the authoring of the bible gives access to knowledge unmatched by anything we humans could come up with. Even our methods of reasoning, such as logic, are seen as human creations thus fallible. If logic is in direct conflict with certain beliefs, the person will believe it is logic that has failed, since nothing humans can come up with could match knowledge straight from god.

The belief can be internally consistent, but it has no foundation. It is ultimately founded on faith. Not the simple faith such as what we have in our senses, or the trust in a loved one, but the complex faith of accepting a worldview with vastly insufficient evidence and reasoning. In most cases, zero evidence and reasoning. So the belief that there are absolute answers is defeated by it's own foundation. It's a false position, or at least invalid.

This causes a misunderstanding. The scientist sees the creationist as having zero evidence. Which means, the magnitude of difference is vast. The answers provided by science have an exponentially enormous amount more evidence, so much so that the difference is ridiculous. But the response is always that the fallible answers of science cannot match the absolute knowledge of god. The debate misses the point, as the scientist repeatedly gives testimony of the reliability of scientific answers, and how bright a light it has beamed into the darkness of our universe.

I do not have an "ultimate concern" a la Nietzsche that would equate to a "god". I don't believe there is any intelligence that hasn't evolved, and all would be on par with our human intelligence if there is life elsewhere in the universe. The most recent Scientific American had an article about the limits of intelligence based on the constraints of physics. Not to say some novel physical basis couldn't evolve to be even more intelligent, but that hypothesis would need evidence.

Science isn't my god, but I find myself defending science in debates an unreasonable amount. I would defend philosophy or many other things which come under attack by religious people. It depends on where the weakness in their beliefs lay, and where the most effective counterarguments lay. Which is usually science based. The mention of science is a consequence of the debate rather than a representation of ubiquitous religious devotion to science.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

If you thought they could be reconciled, why wouldn't you think they should be?

If by reconciliation you mean answering questions about the origin of life or the universe, then if religion could say something about it with any evidence whatsoever, it would cease to be religion -- it would be science.[/quote]

From my personal perspective, I can reconcile the two. Should I? I think I experience personal satisfaction in doing so.
Should you? Should your friend, or spouse, or neighbor? Quite frankly, I don't really care.

No, I don't mean by answering questions related to the origin of life.
Wild guess here, but there are some things that science will never have evidence for. :idea:
If mathematics expresses the natural world, then Kurt Gödel would have something to say about science expecting to have proof about everything in existence. :P
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

there certainly IS an explanation for and about everything. Will WE know all those explanations? Certainly not.

What i mean to say by that is there is no reason to expect anything would have a supernatural explanation. Everything that is or happens is a result of the natural processes of the universe.

I have heard people argue that the big bang represents a magical 'something from nothing' event. I don't see that being the case. Big bang holds that at one point everything everywhere was in one spot. With everything in one spot there is no information to be had. no room for a binary state. So all that really means is that if there was something before the big bang (which i think is very likely) then we can't know anything about it because there was no information preserved through the singularity.

And there are some natural occurances which may be beyond our ability to grasp in any meaningful way. We are just organisms, after all, with limited intellectual capacity. That doesn't mean we should blame the things we don't understand on magic (not to assert that is what you do, ant. Speaking generally here.).

And though there are very probably some things which we can only wrap our heads around in an abstract way such as the incredible scope of the universe, there may well be other intelligences out there, or in the future, that CAN understand those things, and to whom they will be as simple a concept as basic arithmatic.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Ant,

here's one of those abiogenesis videos i referenced earlier.

http://dotsub.com/view/720518f1-8879-44 ... a75db27591
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Wild guess here, but there are some things that science will never have evidence for. :idea:
If mathematics expresses the natural world, then Kurt Gödel would have something to say about science expecting to have proof about everything in existence. :P
I agree that science cannot answer all of our questions. For one thing, we are limited beings with limited imaginations and limited senses. We are well adapted for life on this planet, but our brains were not designed to be able to understand the fundamental workings of the universe. I see science as a light into a vast dark arena. It helps us see only so far into this space, and probably most of this space will forever remain dark to us.

The statement that science cannot tell us all there is to know about the world seems to imply that religion perhaps can shed light into areas that science cannot. But I would agree with Interbane that this is a false premise because religion can only provide a subjective kind of experience while science provides an objective truth. Through science we have learned many things about the physical world that can be demonstrated in real world applciations. For example, we can inoculate against disease, improve the quality of life through technology, calculate movements of planets and stars, and land probes on distant worlds.

The key point is that the information we have discovered through science can be shared with others, and our observations and predictions can be repeated by others and thus demonstrated to be objectively true.

Religion, on the other hand, is only a subjective experience, a kind of metaphoric framework with which to view the world. Religion doesn't provide real world data that can be tested or demonstrated through repeatable experiments. Many religions makes certain claims—i.e. Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected after death—but such claims cannot be verified through objective methods. So religious beliefs have to be based in faith and this is why Muslims or Hindus or Christians have virtually the same claim to truth. Though each one may claim to be the one true religion, there is no objective basis for such a claim.
-Geo
Question everything
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

From my personal perspective, I can reconcile the two.
Something I've learned about beliefs is that the seemingly strongest reason for something could turn out to be false and you wouldn't even know it. I don't believe science and religion are reconcilable. I believe the reasons you use to harmonize them would fail if investigated in more detail. In fact, I nearly guarantee it. It has been the case countless times in countless discussions. The precedent is quite large. Sorry to doubt you, but I don't think you're any different.
Wild guess here, but there are some things that science will never have evidence for.
Precisely the same as saying "...there are some things that humanity will never have evidence for."
If mathematics expresses the natural world, then Kurt Gödel would have something to say about science expecting to have proof about everything in existence.
Then Kurt would have a mistaken expectation. The description of our world through math still requires axioms. Which have reliance on induction. Which, while reliable, is not an absolute source of answers. The proofs could all be mathematically perfect, yet false, depending on axiomatic integrity.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

It probably goes without saying that I agree with Interbane about trying to reconcile religion and science. I think it is at best a disingenuous attempt to place both on the same playing field. But they are not equal, at least not with respect to the attainment of knowledge. I attempted to explain religion and science as two completely separate domains of inquiry, referring to them respectively as subjective and objective modes. At any rate, I was reading Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things and I was amazed to come across this passage in which the author really does an outstanding job of describing the scientific process as a progressive pursuit of knowledge.
Shermer wrote:. . . Science is progressive because its paradigms depend upon the cumulative knowledge gained through experimentation, corroboration, and falsification. Pseudoscience, nonscience, superstition, myth, religion, and art are not progressive because they do not have goals or mechanisms that allow the accumulation of knowledge that builds on the past. Their paradigms either do not shift or coexist with other paradigms. Progress, in the cumulative sense, is not their purpose. This is not a criticism, just an observation. Artists do not improve upon the styles of their predecessors; they invent new styles. Priests, rabbis, and ministers do not attempt to improve upon the sayings of their masters; they repeat, interpret, and teach them. Pseudoscientists do not correct the errors of their predecessors; they perpetuate them.

By cumulative change I mean, then, that when a paradigm shifts, scientists do not abandon the entire science. Rather, what remains useful in the paradigm is retained as new features are added and new interpretations given. Albert Einstein emphasized this point in reflecting upon his own contributions to physics and cosmology: "Creating a new theory is not like destroying an old barn and erecting a skyscraper in its place. It is rather like climbing a mountain, gaining new and wider views, discovering unexpected connections between our starting point and its rich environment. But the point from which we started out still exists and can be seen, although it appears smaller and forms a tiny part of our broad view gained by the mastery of the obstacles on our adventurous way up" (in Weaver 1987, p. 133). Even though Darwin replaced the theory of special creation with that of evolution by natural selection, much of what came before was retained in the new theory—Linnean classification, descriptive geology, comparative anatomy, and so forth. What changed was how these various fields were linked to one another through history—the theory of evolution. There was cumulative growth and paradigmatic change. This is scientific progress, defined as the cumulative growth of a system of knowledge - over time, in which useful features are retained and nonuseful features are abandoned, based on the rejection or confirmation of testable knowledge.

The Triumph of Science

Though I have defined science as progressive, I admit it is not possible to know whether the knowledge uncovered by the scientific method is absolutely certain because we have no place outside—no Archimedean point—from which to view Reality. There is no question but that science is heavily influenced by the culture in which it is embedded, and that scientists may all share a common bias that leads them to think a certain way about nature. But this does not take anything away from the progressive feature of science, in the cumulative sense.

In this regard, philosopher Sydney Hook makes an interesting comparison between the arts and sciences: "Raphael's Sistine Madonna without Raphael, Beethoven's sonatas and symphonies without Beethoven, are inconceivable. In science, on the other hand, it is quite probable that most of the achievements of any given scientist would have been attained by other individuals working in the field" (1943, p. 35). The reason for this is that science, with progress as one of its primary goals, seeks understanding through objective methods (even though it rarely attains it). The arts seek provocation of emotion and reflection through subjective means. The more subjective the endeavor, the more individual it becomes, and therefore difficult if not impossible for someone else to produce. The more objective the pursuit, the more likely it is that someone else will duplicate the achievement. Science actually depends upon duplication for verification. Darwin's theory of natural selection would have occurred to another scientist—and, in fact, did occur to Alfred Russel Wallace simultaneously—because the scientific process is empirically verifiable.

pp. 40-42, Ch. 2
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

"Those of us who teach English Composition sometimes worry about getting a "tin ear" by having to read so much writing that is frankly almost never very good and frequently terrible. Some of my fellow adjuncts actually worry about how this may effect their own writing and, indeed, apparently there are studies that back them up. (I haven't seen the studies myself)."

Dont you mean "affect"?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:"Those of us who teach English Composition sometimes worry about getting a "tin ear" by having to read so much writing that is frankly almost never very good and frequently terrible. Some of my fellow adjuncts actually worry about how this may effect their own writing and, indeed, apparently there are studies that back them up. (I haven't seen the studies myself)."

Dont you mean "affect"?
Yep.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “A Devil's Chaplain - by Richard Dawkins”