• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Suggestions needed for our September/October fiction discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Suggestions needed for our September/October fiction discussion

Unread post

:lol:
Got to love a guy who loves family guy!
lindad_amato wrote:One of my favorite authors, who I feel is greatly overlooked by the American public is Joyce Carol Oates.
I love Joyce Carol Oates. I also love Niagara Falls. I would be interested in "The Falls". Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Falls-Novel-Joyce ... 0060722290
DanQuigley wrote:I'll toss another one out there. I have just begun The Lost Valley (1921) by Australian writer J. M. Walsh (1897-1952).
Hello and welcome Dan! Thanks for the suggestion. "The Lost Valley" can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg to ereaders, I'm going to dowload it tonight. You can start a discussion of this novel if you would like at any time in the "Create Your Own Discussion" forum if it is not chosen for the next discussion. :)

It's really difficult to select one novel that will appeal to many. The last few novels discussed have been a bit older with some pretty heavy themes. I'm wondering, should we choose something more contemporary?

Also, Lindad got me thinking about authors whose novels I have never read, but would really like to. This is something to think about.

I have always wanted to read something by Chuck Palahniuk

Surviror

From Publishers Weekly
The rise and fall of a media-made messiah is the subject of Palahniuk's impressive second novel (after the well-received Fight Club), a wryly mannered commentary on the excesses of pop culture that tracks the 15 minutes of fame of the lone living member of a suicide cult. Tender Branson, aged 33, has commandeered a Boeing 747, emptied of passengers, in order to tell his story to the "black box" while flying randomly until the plane runs out of gas and crashes. Branson relates in his long flashback the vicissitudes of his life: a member of the repressive Creedish Death Cult, supposedly founded by a splinter group of Millerites in 1860, he is hired out as a domestic servant who must dedicate his earnings to the cult. Despite his humble beginnings, Branson finds himself on the edge of fame and fortune when the cult members begin their suicide binge, and he keeps himself on the media radar by using the psychic dreams of his potential romantic interest, Fertility Hollis, in which the girl accurately predicts a series of strange disasters. After a brief period at the top of the freak-show heap, Branson succumbs to the excesses of his trade when his agent mysteriously dies at the Super Bowl as Branson predicts the outcome of the game at half-time, simultaneously triggering a riot and turning him into a murder suspect. Branson's spookily matter of fact account of his bizarre experiences does not excite tension until the narrative is well under way, but the novel picks up momentum during the homestretch when Branson goes on the lam with Fertility and his murderous brother Adam, and the story steamrolls toward its nightmarish climax.
http://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Novel-Ch ... 55&s=books

Keep the suggestions coming, suggestions of novels and suggestions on how to make our next fiction discussion successful!
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

The Lost Valley is available free for Kindles.
mlomalley316
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I really enjoy mystery and thrillers but also historical fiction and the classics..guess Im not too much help there am i since I cant think of a particular title lol
mlomalley316
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have a Kindle (my favorite thing in the world!) what is The Lost Valley about?
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

DanQuigley wrote:I realize I don't get a vote because I have not yet made 25 posts, but I really like Giselle's suggestion.

I'll toss another one out there. I have just begun The Lost Valley (1921) by Australian writer J. M. Walsh (1897-1952). This is one of Walsh's earliest works and out of copyright. So, it is available for free a number of places. There are no reviews of the work I could find, but I like the writing style and find the first chapter so interesting that I must continue. The story reads like an early film noir type novel minus the femme fatale set in the western Australian province of Victoria. We see the story through the eyes of its antihero protagonist, Carstairs, and his new found friend Bryce, who while out in the middle of nowhere are shot at for no apparent reason. They band together to figure out why people want them dead.

Much of the appeal for me is that the book is set in an Australia in a time period I know next to nothing about.
DanQuigley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thank you for the suggestion, Suzanne, to start my own book discussion of The Lost Valley (1921) by J. M. Walsh in the unlikely event it is not the finalist. Doing that would not have occurred to me if you had not mentioned that as an option.

I like your suggestion of a Joyce Carol Oates book even more than my own now. She appears to be a well-regarded as well as popular author.

About ten years ago, while browsing in my library, I noticed her works spanned an entire shelf and overflowed into a second one. I was curious about that because I knew nothing of her. So, I picked one of the books at random, an earlier one I believe, whose title I no longer recall. I read the first 15 pages or so, but it didn't grab my interest; I put it down and never picked it up again. So, I still don't know what her appeal is! But I am willing and eager to give her another try. My point is that some of her work may very well be more accessible than others.

I therefore think we would be wise to be careful in selecting the work we read in order that it have the optimum chance of appealing to a first-time reader of her corpus. Perhaps we could solicit some advice on which work would be best for our purposes from a well-versed Joyce Carol Oates afficionado? Or is there a literary reason in particular you were recommending The Falls?

Dan Quigley
Last edited by DanQuigley on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

A good way to sample the writing of Joyce Carol Oates would be to read some of her short stories.

Wild Nights was really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Nights-Stori ... 0061434795

I started reading JCO when I was in HS. The first novel I ever read by her was, Them. This novel has also been praised by critics. Another novel of hers, Blonde, has also been praised as one of her best.

I believe Lindad suggested The Falls, maybe she will chime in as to other JCO novels that would be good for a disscusion.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Blon ... Books_7275

Go to the site above to see descriptions of many of JCO's novels. I also enjoyed "We Were the Mulvaney's", among others. She has written 50 books. Quite a career.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Are any of you interested in making some non-fiction suggestions? We have a thread up requesting non-fiction book suggestions but so far the thread is a ghost town.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Yeah, I'll make a couple of suggestions. I don't usually go for the nonfiction selections, so I'm interested to see what book is picked this time.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”