• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Huckleberry Finn/ introduction and first thoughts

#93: Jan. - Feb. 2011 (Fiction)
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Huckleberry Finn/ introduction and first thoughts

Unread post

Robby wrote:Does a person have to be "better" in order to be worth saving?

Or is it enough simply to be human?
I think we get into the meanings of words here ... "person" incorporates "human" and, in my view, the degree to which Huck wrestled with the possibility that Jim (and all Negroes) were actually human was a measure of Huck's own humanity. Tom fell sadly below this human line in my view. I can't even like Tom.

The posession or ownership of another human precludes humaness. So once the 'possession' of Jim was so clearly in question his humaness surfaced and all bets were off, his humaness was self-evident and not even Tom's silly games could suppress it.

I'm reading Isabel Allende, "Island Beneath the Sea", at the moment, and this is a brilliant exploration of this theme, written with a more modern tone and a good deal of magic and spiritualism but in many ways not a far cry from Twain's book.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Just to clarify for Robby, I enclosed the word "betters" in quotes to indicate that at that time (and still today), certain classes of people were held to be better than others, and therefore if it came down to it would be seen as more worth saving.
howardasherman
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

tjamesmoss.author wrote:Can you all BELIEVE they are changing Huck Finn to be PC? The audacity!!!
Last Sunday's 60 Minutes piece on the PC Huckleberry Finn explains everything.

The explanation is not at all satisfying, though. Books are no different than paintings - once they're rendered they MUST be left alone.

Howard Sherman
http://www.howardsherman.net
Luis Saunders
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Huckleberry Finn is a brilliant book for a billion reasons. I loved it as a child because it delivered on its title’s promise; it really was a series of awesome adventures. I recently re-read it and it blew me away all over again; I couldn’t get over the way Mark Twain dealt with the themes of morality, race, religion, youth, etc., delivered a powerful message for equality and freedom without being preachy, and managed to make it all so much fun. Huckleberry Finn really is an American classic.
Luis Saunders
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome to BookTalk Luis!

I agree with you. Huck finds himself involved in some pretty scary adventures for a kid, and also battles some pretty heavy adult themes as well.

Return to “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - by Mark Twain”