• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Is this a worthwhile book to read?

#90: Nov. - Dec. 2010 (Fiction)
gutterkrawl
Getting Comfortable

Re: Is this a worthwhile book to read?

Unread post

Anything Cormac has written is WELL worth anyones time. His style has a unique rythm, but the content will leave you breathless.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. Cheat at all costs.
emilyrd

Unread post

I read the book but haven't seen the movie. It's definitely dark and apocalyptic, but it's a very good read. The unusual voice of the narrator made the book interesting. Hope you enjoy (or have enjoyed it)!
nfk3018
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Yes, yes, yes - definitely read it!!
Esoldra
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I had just seen the movie too and in reading in a response above that there is a unique narrator, I am going to give the book a chance. I didn't like the movie that much, I felt there were better post-apocalyptic movies out there. But then so much gets lost from the narrative of a book to that of a movie.
hesse
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

My first day on this forum was Saturday, April 23rd....after reading forum members posts on The Road I bought it and read it....surfed it would actually be a better word, as it propelled me like a huge wave through an experience both horrifying and riveting.....
I can think, I can wait, I can fast........
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I found The Road an ok read. There are some great comments about it here. I agree with the majority that the movie is a dud. Perhaps to McCarthy it is just a story (as suggested above) but what I found compelling was the way the father and son relied on each other when all the systems of society had collapsed ... the son for protection and guidance and sustenance and the father for a reason to get up in the morning and keep going. I think it is essential to McCarthy's story that the father and son were alone until the father died. If they had met up with others while the father was still alive (as Chris suggested) I think this would have drained the story's meaning, at least, the meaning I took away. I suspect most of us don't like to think of apocalypse as one of our alternative futures but, with the disaster in Japan and the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl and other stuff that's happening, one might treat The Road as a warning in among a series of warnings.

Return to “The Road - by Cormac McCarthy”