• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Case for God

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The Case for God

Unread post

geo wrote:I don't quite understand the purpose of a theology related to the apophatic view which considers God a mystery beyond the ability of any human language to comprehend. If God is an unknowable entity which cannot even be presumed to exist, what exactly are we talking about? Instead of calling it "God," why not call it x, an algebraic notation that stands for the unknown? I guess I'm always suspicious of the notion of "God" even when it's used for allegorical purpose.
A silly suggestion; right?
X, a variable in an algebraic expression is a totally inappropriate represenation of God who is NOT variable. Further, x is only unknown in a sense. When additional information becomes available, the value of x is quickly revealed and in the set of data provided x has a clearly defined set of values which do not vary. God is most certainly not unknowable, only beyond our comprehension. You would have done better to propose representing God as i (the square root of a negative 1). While it is unsolvable mathematically, it can be represented graphically and used in formulas and therefore is usefull, and can be appreciated if not fully comprehended. But you weren't really serious were you?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Geo:
I don't quite understand the purpose of a theology related to the apophatic view which considers God a mystery beyond the ability of any human language to comprehend. If God is an unknowable entity which cannot even be presumed to exist, what exactly are we talking about? Instead of calling it "God," why not call it x, an algebraic notation that stands for the unknown? I guess I'm always suspicious of the notion of "God" even when it's used for allegorical purpose.
Ditto

Interbane:
There is usually a point in my adherence to an idea where I simply call it quits. I realize my pursuit is fueled by emotion rather than reason. If there is no reason, I stop pursuing the idea. If the usual imagination of god fails, attempting to redefine him is only moving the goalposts to avoid error. It isn't a response to anything real. If the usual imagination of god fails, why do you not abandon the belief that there is anything such as a god? Why do you instead seek redefinition to keep the belief alive? Why rescuscitate the belief if there is no reason?
Right.

Stahrwe:
God is most certainly not unknowable, only beyond our comprehension.
Then he is unknowable. Hence non-existent.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
geo wrote:I don't quite understand the purpose of a theology related to the apophatic view which considers God a mystery beyond the ability of any human language to comprehend. If God is an unknowable entity which cannot even be presumed to exist, what exactly are we talking about? Instead of calling it "God," why not call it x, an algebraic notation that stands for the unknown? I guess I'm always suspicious of the notion of "God" even when it's used for allegorical purpose.
A silly suggestion; right?
X, a variable in an algebraic expression is a totally inappropriate represenation of God who is NOT variable. Further, x is only unknown in a sense. When additional information becomes available, the value of x is quickly revealed and in the set of data provided x has a clearly defined set of values which do not vary. God is most certainly not unknowable, only beyond our comprehension. You would have done better to propose representing God as i (the square root of a negative 1). While it is unsolvable mathematically, it can be represented graphically and used in formulas and therefore is usefull, and can be appreciated if not fully comprehended. But you weren't really serious were you?
How about this: ?
-Geo
Question everything
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Stahrwe:
God is most certainly not unknowable, only beyond our comprehension.
Then he is unknowable. Hence non-existent.
The two are not the same; for example, I have heard many attempts to help us conceptualize $one Tillion - Cover the state of Texas with silver dollars to a depth of 40 feet and you have 1 trillion. Sorry, still doesn't work. 1 trillion exists but I still can't comprehend it. God exists. I can appreciate some of who He is but the totality excapes me.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

The question of whether something can exist that is not an entity can be explored by comparison with the concept of beauty.

Beauty exists, but is not an entity, rather it is a quality that people perceive in entities. We say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', to indicate that our understanding of beauty is relative to human concern. And yet, beauty has an objectivity, with symmetrical and complex natural shapes regarded as more beautiful than shapes that lack these qualities. Beauty is relational, a human construct perceived in natural shapes.

We can consider God the same way as we understand beauty. Understood as a natural purpose that matches to the ideal purpose of human life, God is inherent in nature, as an underlying direction that indicates the path of human goals. This inherent quality of nature is not an entity, like a material object, but rather a unifying quality that gives all entities their meaning.

This more abstract scientific concept of God matches to an underlying truth in the Bible, but is hidden by the desire to imagine God in a way that can be simplified to match popular ignorant desires.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert, have you had your O2 levels checked?

Beauty may not be an entity but it is a characteristic, and a physical one at that, of an entity or object.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

What have O2 levels got to do with the price of fish?

Beauty is not a physical characteristic as such. It depends on cultural perceptions, rather like God.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Robert Tulip:
We can consider God the same way as we understand beauty. Understood as a natural purpose that matches to the ideal purpose of human life, God is inherent in nature, as an underlying direction that indicates the path of human goals.
I fail to understand why we should construct a God to be understood as a "natural purpose" matching the ideal purpose of human life. This sounds mightily like a Biblical God except now we are defining God as matching us.

What is the ideal purpose of human life? For most of us the purpose of our lives is very simple. We did not call our selves into being, so why should we (that is the bulk of us) be concerned with an "ideal purpose" to our lives?

Basically we want to be loved, safe, sheltered, educated, employed, productive members of our societies who hopefully raise any offspring to be the same, thus making our contributions to the continuum of human life for as long as natural conditions make our species as we exist now necessary and viable.

I can understand that such questions and quests and definitions are important to you Robert. I don't understand why but that doesn't mean I don't recognize that there is a why. I also realize that you are mentally superior to me but I think there also are not too many people that will be willing to join you in your understanding of a God inherent in nature. Even if you wish to see such a God personally, why does it need any further discussion? I mean why could we not say the same thing about the sun and consider the sun in all the ways you speak of God inherent in nature.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote: I fail to understand why we should construct a God to be understood as a "natural purpose" matching the ideal purpose of human life. This sounds mightily like a Biblical God except now we are defining God as matching us.
The underlying question here is whether language about God can be meaningful. Science indicates, rightly in my view, that all supernatural claims are meaningless. The scientific critique of religious speculation implies that any genuine meaning in religious language has to refer to something natural, and that unnatural statements (eg miracles) must be allegory for something natural if they are to have any meaning.

Many atheists believe that all religious language is inherently meaningless. Against this atheist attitude, it can be argued that a sense of human spirituality is meaningful when it articulates ethics that point to a universal truth about human potential. This is what I meant by talking of God as a natural purpose, as the set of ideas that sustain human flourishing. If the God described by such a method indicates a path of global evolutionary success for humanity, it can be argued that such a natural purpose is as much a discovery as a construction. This idea provides a natural basis to understand the old myth of humanity as made in the image of God.

As an example of how to interpret the Bible in natural terms, we can read the Sermon on the Mount at Matthew 5 as saying that life in the Roman Empire was seriously alienated from values that are essential to human flourishing. The imperial ethics of conquest and control applied a monolithic doctrine with the basic agenda of justifying Roman rule, regardless of the consequences. Against this worldly ethic, Jesus presented a theory of blessedness, the idea that people who behave in defined ways are in tune with universal values. Jesus counts among the blessed the pure in heart, the peacemakers, the meek, those who mourn, those who seek the good, those who are persecuted for doing good, the poor in spirit and the merciful. Just considering these values on their own terms, we can see that they run counter to basic human instincts such as revenge, hatred and greed, and present a higher and more rational path. A world in which these values were made central would be far better than our current situation. The Sermon on the Mount can be read as an evolutionary ethic, a vision of benign cultural mutation towards human ability to live on the basis of reason rather than instinct, a program for transformation to adapt to our real planetary environment.

Jesus goes on in the Sermon on the Mount to deliver a series of pointed concealed barbs against Rome. ‘Give your cloak as well as your coat’ is actually a teaching to shame those who put people into destitution by harsh enforcement of debt. ‘Turn the other cheek’ is a call to nonviolent integrity in defiance against those who enforce unjust hierarchies and regard others as beneath contempt. ‘Go the extra mile’ is a call to shame the Roman legions who were permitted to force locals to carry a soldier’s pack one mile but not two. The essential message is that our world enforces unjust inequality, but the path of God seeks to transform the world in line with universal values, in order that ‘thy will be done on earth as in heaven’. By this vision, heaven is not a location for an afterlife, but a vision of a transformed earth.
What is the ideal purpose of human life? For most of us the purpose of our lives is very simple. We did not call our selves into being, so why should we (that is the bulk of us) be concerned with an "ideal purpose" to our lives?
Simplicity conceals great complexity. You may be right that not everyone should worry about an ideal purpose, but I would be worried if no one at all worried about such complex questions. The rarity of such enquiry does not invalidate it. The basic question of ideal purpose is how philosophy can articulate a coherent and consistent universal ethic to enable humanity to prosper in peace and freedom.

My view is that the Christian doctrine of fall and redemption helps us to formulate a universal ethical cosmology. The Christian theory of redemption can be read as holding that people should live in accord with an ideal purpose, whereby everything would steadily improve towards peace, love and freedom, but that our world is now very far from such an ideal, and in fact is getting steadily worse.

Redemption can be interpreted in purely evolutionary terms, as the set of behaviors that will sustain a steady increase in universal wellbeing. Jesus explains his vision of such an ideal purpose in Matthew 25, where he argues for a combination of entrepreneurial investment and works of mercy.

Texts that suggest a supernatural theory of redemption are irrelevant to this underlying universal purpose, because the supernatural symbols such as the last trumpet and the four horsemen are just blinds that conceal a hidden real message.
Basically we want to be loved, safe, sheltered, educated, employed, productive members of our societies who hopefully raise any offspring to be the same, thus making our contributions to the continuum of human life for as long as natural conditions make our species as we exist now necessary and viable.
The Bible endorses these values, but it also contains an apocalyptic claim that our world is actually trending in the reverse direction, and that efforts to alert people to this problem are systematically ignored. We certainly see this refusal to see the big picture at the moment with climate change, where the general desire for simple pleasures is risking the end of life on our planet.

Christ, understood as the archetype of the perfect man, suggests that recognition of the depth of evil in the world is unwelcome because the ruling powers and systems are themselves evil. What this means, again in evolutionary terms, is that our world is trending towards human extinction, and a comprehensive shift of mindset is necessary to reverse this dangerous trend. The story of Easter is that telling people about the problem led the messenger to be crucified, but that the truth of the message led to resurrection and vindication.
I can understand that such questions and quests and definitions are important to you Robert. I don't understand why but that doesn't mean I don't recognize that there is a why. I also realize that you are mentally superior to me but I think there also are not too many people that will be willing to join you in your understanding of a God inherent in nature. Even if you wish to see such a God personally, why does it need any further discussion?
These questions are important to me because I care about the future of our planet, and because I believe that this same natural vision of God was at the heart of authentic ancient religion and should be restored today. My view is that the understanding of God as inherent in nature was at the source of the original message of Christ, but this message was systematically denied and concealed because the dominant powers of the world found it to be against their temporal interests.

The original message was steadily diluted to make it palatable to a mass audience, but it remains at the core of the Bible as a natural message of salvation. The true kernel is surrounded by weeds that will eventually be burnt away as truth comes increasingly to be defined in terms of evidence rather than authority.

The church presented the message of Christ as a supernatural miraculous fable, close enough to the original natural truth to resonate intuitively with a mass audience as a source of salvation, but far enough from it to be neutered as a message of real change. The lies at the foundation of Christianity are so great that they are the origin of what Hitler called the big lie, a deception on so grand a scale that people simply cannot imagine anyone having the effrontery to tell such whoppers. The biggest lie of all is the claim that the Gospel account of Jesus Christ is historically literal, when in fact it is allegory for an eternal cosmic vision.
Why could we not say the same thing about the sun and consider the sun in all the ways you speak of God inherent in nature.
We can in fact consider the sun as an analogy for God, as the source of light and life, and this has been a very widespread religious idea. In Christianity, the rising of the sun is a metaphor for the rising of Christ. Veneration for the sun has some merit, considering that it holds 99.8% of the mass of our solar system, and so puts the scale of our earth into some natural perspective. The sun is at the center of the long term natural cycles of the solar system, causing deep evolutionary patterns on earth, such as cycles of glaciation. Putting mythology into this long temporal frame of natural reference can help us to understand myth as containing a real evolutionary message.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

geo wrote:Impressive review, Robert. I'm currently reading Armstrong's Buddha. I find her to be a very capable writer, able to explain complex ideas and frame ancient eastern philosophy in a western context. She's very scholarly and materialistic in her approach, never condescending to mystical or non-empirical vagueness. Based on the text of Buddha, I wouldn't be surprised to learn she was an atheist, although I find the distinction between agnostic and atheist to be largely semantic anyway.
Robert Tulip wrote:Her first principle, per Calvin, is that if theology is incompatible with science then the theology is wrong. She argues on this basis that existence is not an attribute that applies simply to God, because it makes God into an entity modelled on existing entities. Richard Dawkins has argued this makes Armstrong an atheist. Armstrong says it gives life to the real allegorical intent of the Bible writers.
I don't quite understand the purpose of a theology related to the apophatic view which considers God a mystery beyond the ability of any human language to comprehend. If God is an unknowable entity which cannot even be presumed to exist, what exactly are we talking about? Instead of calling it "God," why not call it x, an algebraic notation that stands for the unknown? I guess I'm always suspicious of the notion of "God" even when it's used for allegorical purpose.
To explore the meaning of talk about God, it is useful to start with what Martin Heidegger called the ontological difference, the distinction between entities and being. The set of entities is the set of everything that exists. But being, the fact in itself that entities exist, is not an entity, so is outside the set of entities, and is therefore not something that exists. We can then start to ask if being, although not an entity, has any qualities. We readily see that the fact that all entities on earth exist in a common environment gives them the common quality of existing on earth. By analogy from earth to infinity and eternity, seeing earth as within these extended frames, we can then say that because all entities on earth are surrounded by eternity and infinity, all entities have being surrounded by eternity and infinity as common qualities.

The earth shapes our being through the operation of causality. At a diffuse and abstract level, eternity and infinity, the ideas of for ever in distance and time, also shape our being through the causality of sensitivity to initial conditions. From human scales, the universe seems eternal and infinite. Whatever the actual qualities of ultimate distance in time and space may be, the actual reality of the universe provides the initial conditions that all entities share and reflect.

Infinity and eternity are the ultimate apophatic realities, necessary truths that we cannot understand. To drill down to how this ontology can inform theology, we see that the earth has a path that reflects its ultimate source, observable in the operation of the laws of physics. The question for religion, as I see it, is how humanity can understand this ultimate natural path of the earth, and how we are part of it. An apophatic stance recognises that the scientific facts may be beyond our knowledge, but these facts have a necessary connection in terms of the actual causality of the evolution of the universe.

The causality of evolution is all about how the past causes the present and the future. This relation between the past and the present is an idea that helps to think about ontology. Can we say the relation between past and present exists? Yes. Is this relation an entity? No. If God is the sum of intertemporal relations, we similarly find that this nebulous idea is very far from being an entity. And yet, we see that the relation between past and present has actual influence in the world, even though it is not an entity. This inter-temporality is part of what we mean by soul, deep identity, the recapitulation of what made us in our presence.

Looking then to how an apophatic outlook informs the Bible, I remain of the view that the Beatitudes are a sublime logical starting point for ethics. For example Jesus says blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. My reading of this line is that the meek stand for those who are open to the mystery of life, in contrast to the proud who claim that they can explain it in full by dogma. From this meek starting point flows the entire Christian ethic of love as an openness to mystery.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”