• In total there are 57 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Fighting Science.

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Squelch
Experienced

Re: Fighting Science.

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I question everything I believe.
Then you must, logically, question your own ideas in the areas in which you disagree with Stahrwe. Which means that you must allow the possibility that you could be wrong and he could be right.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Then you must, logically, question your own ideas in the areas in which you disagree with Stahrwe. Which means that you must allow the possibility that you could be wrong and he could be right.
Yes, that goes without saying and at the same time raises an ironic conundrum. In admitting any sort of uncertainty, a person who thrives on certainty such as Stahrwe would falsely get the impression that I am 'doubting' parts of my worldview. The word 'doubting' stays the same, but the context around it is drastically different.

On the other hand, the basis for disagreeing with Stahrwe has it's roots on a lower level of my belief system. Over the course of many years, my use of logic has shown inductively to always yield truthful results, if used properly. This is corroborated by the entire width and breadth of the intellectual community. When Stahrwe repeatedly and often commits logical fallacies, uses faulty logic, or non-sequitur arguments, there is not much room for uncertainty that he is wrong.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Some people seem to think that defending science against religion equates to a claim that science is infallible.

Talk about a straw man -- has there ever been anyone in the history of the world who has held that view?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane wrote:On the other hand, the basis for disagreeing with Stahrwe has it's roots on a lower level of my belief system. Over the course of many years, my use of logic has shown inductively to always yield truthful results, if used properly. This is corroborated by the entire width and breadth of the intellectual community. When Stahrwe repeatedly and often commits logical fallacies, uses faulty logic, or non-sequitur arguments, there is not much room for uncertainty that he is wrong.
As Interbane was going along in life, he fell into a swamp of confusion and pulled himself out by his own hair into his pristine world of pure clean logic. Not exactly true, but I ask forgiveness for a sloppy application of an event in the life of Baron Munchhausen.

A sad reliance on logic and claim that it always yields truthful results, corroborated by the entire width and breadth of the intellectual community is clearly wrong. Perhaps he neglected to consider the heights. The Münchhausen Trilemma demonstrates it is impossible to prove any truth even in the fields of logic and mathematics. So, if Interbane always finds the truth with perfect certainty using logic, he must not understand logic. Additionally, one must understand that pure truth cannot be found using logic.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

A sad reliance on logic and claim that it always yields truthful results, corroborated by the entire width and breadth of the intellectual community is clearly wrong. Perhaps he neglected to consider the heights. The Münchhausen Trilemma demonstrates it is impossible to prove any truth even in the fields of logic and mathematics. So, if Interbane always finds the truth with perfect certainty using logic, he must not understand logic. Additionally, one must understand that pure truth cannot be found using logic.
Here is a list of things that I didn't say which you included above:

That it's possible to prove the truth.
That I always find the truth.
That perfect certainty can be arrived at by using logic.
That pure truth can be found using logic.

It's simply the extent to which you misunderstand me. One or two misunderstandings I can deal with. Please don't reply to me until you think things through, it's almost as though you're committing libel against me using faulty reasoning. Stahrwe, please think.

:troll:
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Squelch wrote:
johnson1010 wrote:A sad state of affairs./
It's only good to deny people the right to speak against science if you're really, absolutely sure that science has it 100% correct on the subject they're speaking against.
That's a strong line you're taking! Well, it's not good even when it is a given that science is 100% right on a particular subject to not allow people to speak out against it, or so I believe... but, did anyone here (or on the clip which admittedly I only browsed through) actually advocate denying anyone the right to speak out against prevailing scientific ideas? I just don't see what prompted your defense of free speech. It's one thing to say that so-and-so is foolish, stupid, backwards, and so on for not believing such-and-such in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I think this is what has been going on here. But it's a far worse thing to advocate banning stupidity!

I appreciate stahrwe as much as the next person! He could be defending the continued use of harmful pesticides one moment and going on about how evolution is just a theory the next. A person can do worse than to think about these things! (He told me once that I made a perfect post!) ~ ~ and I do love me JS Mill ~ ~ but it's OK to say stahrwe is all wet!
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Kevin wrote: did anyone here (or on the clip which admittedly I only browsed through) actually advocate denying anyone the right to speak out? I just don't see what prompted your defense of free speech. It's one thing to say that so-and-so is foolish, stupid, backwards, and so on for not believing such-and-such in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I think this is what has been going on here. But it's a far worse thing to advocate banning stupidity!
I agree and extend that sentiment to censorship.
kevin wrote:I appreciate stahrwe as much as the next person! He could be defending the continued use of harmful pesticides one moment and going on about how evolution is just a theory the next. A person can do worse than to think about these things! (He told me once that I made a perfect post!) ~ ~ and I do love me JS Mill ~ ~ but it's OK to say stahrwe is all wet!
I believe the post I praised actually advocated a postion I opposed.

thank you for your comments.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://gizmodo.com/5835389/the-republic ... es-science

Why do republicans hate knowing things?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

These Republicans Are Crazy!!.GIF
These Republicans Are Crazy!!.GIF (38.79 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
johnson1010 wrote: http://gizmodo.com/5835389/the-republic ... es-science
Why do republicans hate knowing things?
Sam Biddle wrote:One of the two viable political parties in the United States has an institutional agenda against scientific fact. That's very bad.

The GOP's refusal to believe the world's smartest people isn't accidental. It's smart strategy. As the party of business, the GOP has to oppose scientific findings that threaten business. That means denying climate change—because the reform to fix it would cost corporations money. That means pushing for the abolition of the EPA—because environmental regulations cost corporations money. In order to fight for a society in which smokestacks flow freely and all slimy shit in christendom can be dumped into lakes, the science that says these things are bad and dangerous has to be suppressed. Or at least opposed and dismissed. It's a typical tactic across the GOP gamut, to wave off science as silly, contrived, made-up, voodoo, and various other demeaning adjectives. It's been this way for decades, but with the infiltration of Tea Party loons like Bachmann, the blinders are strapped on extra tight—and non-business worm-cans like creationism are popped open too.

By not having to take an issue seriously, the GOP can remain unengaged with the empirical world.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

here's an article about vaccines which relates to the opening post of this thread.

Vaccines are one of humanity's greatest achievements. Is it any surprise the un-educated reject them out of hand?

http://io9.com/5840419/how-vaccines-saved-the-world
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”