• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Suggestions needed for March/April fiction discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Suggestions needed for March/April fiction discussion

Unread post

Anyone else want to make any suggestions?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

What about these three for the poll?

Madame Bovary
Gustave Flaubert

Death in Venice and Other Stories
Thomas Mann

The Iguana
Dinis Thérialut
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I take back my suggestion. There doesn't look like there is much interest and I think I'm going to start on Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.
kyjake23
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I would definitely read The Brothers Karamazov (again).
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I would too! This is a great choice!

kyjake23, do you plan on participating?

The Brothers Karamazov
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The final novel by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, first published as Bratya Karamazovy in 1879-80, and generally considered to be his masterpiece. It is the story of Fyodor Karamazov and his sons Alyosha, Dmitry, and Ivan. It is also a story of patricide, into the sordid unfolding of which Dostoyevsky introduces a love-hate struggle with profound psychological and spiritual implications. Throughout the whole novel there persists a search for faith, for God--the central idea of the work. The dramatization of Ivan's repudiation of God is concentrated in the famous "Legend of the Grand Inquisitor." A response to Ivan is contained in the preaching of the monk Zosima that the secret of universal harmony is not achieved by the mind but by the heart.
http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Karamazo ... 55&s=books

I don't want to make translation a huge issue. The above link is for the Penquin edition. It can also be downloaded for free on ereaders. It's a bit long, the length does not bother me, we could always extend the discussion period to include a third month.

Lets give this a few days to see if we can get more people on board. But right now, we have three nods.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Having just mentioned The Brothers Karamazov in the thread on coming out as an atheist, that is the only one mentioned so far that I would just love to read again. It is up there with Don Quixote as a great literary classic.

I was thinking of suggesting Anthill by E.O. Wilson as it should be of interest both to anyone who would like to explore the sociology of Alabama and the comparison of humans to ants, as I explain in my review in the fiction section. But I am not suggesting it, and will probably dip out this time unless Dostoyevsky gets up.

ETA: E-book @ Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28054
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: It is up there with Don Quixote as a great literary classic.
I agree with you Robert. Well, on BK at least. But, I do want to tell you that I did finally finish DQ. I found that the second book held my interest more than the first book.
Robert Tulip wrote:and will probably dip out this time unless Dostoyevsky gets up.
Well we can't have that! That makes it four nods, lets just pick it for the next
discussion. Yes?

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”