• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
hmrush
Gaining experience

Re: Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

Unread post

I wrote a paper once called "The New Author: A story not written while drinking vermouth"

For a few very long years I was a constant drinker and user and my writing suffered tremendously. It was darker, scarier at times and didn't flow out well at all.

I have been sober for two years in June, and I think that my writing now is the best I have ever done. I guess it depends on the person, really, but I know for myself it hindered my ability to write and my ability to live.
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
Darcia
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Congratulations on your upcoming 2 year mark, H.M.!

Your point is exactly what I was getting at earlier. Constant use/addiction is completely different than occasional use of any substance. Creativity is just one of the many things that suffer with addiction.
purplesilk
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Maybe but it is also entirely possible that the end product will be a lesser quality writing. I guess it all depends on the person doing the writing and how they function when they drink/do drugs. If you are not 100% mentally due to drugs/alcohol then your writing may come out like someone's slurred drunken ramblings.
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

They might, but first you have to be a good writer.

The bars of America are filled with drunks who think they can perform like Dave Matthews. Kids see Keith Richards and think, "Oh, he's on drugs, so I'll take drugs, too," but they fail to realize Keith Richards is FIRST a great rock and roll composer...and THEN he's a drugie.
nspeed
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with reader2121.
As I see it alcohol or drugs are ways to free yourself further and release your conscious into the world. The question then is whether the 'you' is good or bad at writing..

edit: wow oct! sorry I didn't notice at first..
kyjake23
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Well since we've brought it back...

If the foundation isn't there, nothing is going to help. Now I will admit to partaking in some pot from time to time, but I don't think it helps writing...I would say it gives you a different perspective on an idea, much like looking at a house from a different angle makes you notice new things.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

:hmm:

I did drink quite a bit during the writing of my second novel which helped me out, but after awhile my writing became sloppy. I now just drink lot of caffeine.
A lot of great books were written under the influence but yet they also ruined a lot of great writers, so I guess it can go both ways. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

That my opinion anyway...drugs sure helped The Beatles though.
:D
Last edited by EndlessLaymon on Wed May 04, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

My hypothesis is: If you're a radical left brain person. You've analyzed everything to death. You are math and logic personified... then something which may stimulate your more creative side would help you achieve genius in fictional literature.

Just because someone is a brilliant author with a drinking problem probably doesn't mean much. A lot of people have drinking problems. I'm one of them. I'm drunk right now. Hemingway had one and was a flash in the pan in my opinion. Superb genius tripped upon through life experience, writing style, and numerous other factors including natural talent and personal desire.

Something that helps with loosening inhibitions can be great for cutting loose but if there is nothing pent up... if there has been nothing that has been worked on for long periods of time then the only thing that's going to be broken loose is 'minimum'... Your minimum... everyone's minimum... garbage.
jamessanderson
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I agree with Gabriel Garcia Marquez that writing is so demanding that what is required is good health and excersice, not drinking and drugs. Why mask the talent with mind-numbing substances? To write something great, we must suffer for it. Drugs and alcohol reduce the suffering. Jim
v_serkov
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Darcia wrote:Ken Kesey wrote One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest while on acid.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's a smart idea or that it works for everyone in every situation. Using any sort of mind-altering substance changes your outlook and, therefore, sparks a new type of creativity. Or it can stymie creativity completely. I don't plan on an acid trip to see if the next book I write will be a bestseller and a blockbuster on the movie screen. But, who knows? For those who are suffering with writer's block, it might be an option. :twisted:
Hello Darcia! :) I wonder when is "you can call me ari " going to be continued ?

Vyacheslav.

Return to “Creative Writing”