• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Hot 100

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: The Hot 100

Unread post

I liked the Lake of Innisfree very much. I have a personal fantasy about such a place. Even though I live a relatively quiet and strife free life, still the isolation, quietude and especially ". . . small cabin . . . of clay and wattles made" is so appealing.

I agree with Penelope that the two (although not meant to be compared) seem jarring in the same post.

Froglipz, "Papa's waltz" while to me seems to have sort of bizarre frenetic appeal, to my husband just seem dismal. Maybe because he had a father who drank. I guess we can't divorce who we are. . . not only intellectually and emotionally but our experiences; from our response to artistic expression.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: 86. "The Lake Isle of Innisfree," by W. B. Yeats.
I wish I could remember or find the explanation I heard or read a few years ago, of the unique way Yeats read his poetry aloud. It is a sing song kind of chant. Does this ring any bells for anyone out there? DWill?
You can hear for yourself. Here is Yeats reading The Lake Isle of Innisfree.
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15529

It is hard to give it 3 dings, but 2 is not quite enough.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Saffron wrote:

Give it 2 and seven eighths.....because this is one of the loveliest lines:

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Saffron wrote:

Give it 2 and seven eighths.....because this is one of the loveliest lines:

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
Bingo! These are my favorite lines and definately worth the 2+ dings.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
I wish I could remember or find the explanation I heard or read a few years ago, of the unique way Yeats read his poetry aloud. It is a sing song kind of chant. Does this ring any bells for anyone out there? DWill?

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but was W. B. on his deathbed when he read that? That gives a new meaning to "gravelly voice"!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Saffron wrote:

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but was W. B. on his deathbed when he read that? That gives a new meaning to "gravelly voice"!
He was near the end of his life. There is an interesting history to this recording. I will try hard to remember what I know or more like refind somewhere on the web. It is the rythym of his voice while reading that I remember hearing was intentional. In fact, while looking for something to back me up, I did find a passage from the following book that describes Yeats instructing some one on how to read his poetry for a BBC production.

The last minstrels: Yeats and the revival of the bardic arts By Ronald Schuchard

I just found what I wss looking for, but first here is a link to a complete recording of Yeats reading the poem with his introduction.
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarch ... oemId=1689
Yeats recorded this for the BBC in 1932, about 7 years before he died.

I fist came across this recording in a CD/book collection of poets reading their own work. In Their Own Words: A Century of Recorded Poetry.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

84. "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. We haven't been in the habit of posting long poems, and this one takes up 23 pages of Harmon's anthology. But does anyone want to read it? I would kind of like to read it again. This was the centerpiece of Wordsworth's and Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads of 1798. It's not difficult. There was an 1887 edition illustrated with Gustav Dore prints that is a treat to read. You can see the pictures at http://www.artsycraftsy.com/dore_mariner.html. Maybe we'll just mull it over and have another poem on Wednesday if nobody has a chance to read about the old sailor.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:84. "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. We haven't been in the habit of posting long poems, and this one takes up 23 pages of Harmon's anthology. But does anyone want to read it? I would kind of like to read it again. This was the centerpiece of Wordsworth's and Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads of 1798. It's not difficult. There was an 1887 edition illustrated with Gustav Dore prints that is a treat to read. You can see the pictures at http://www.artsycraftsy.com/dore_mariner.html. Maybe we'll just mull it over and have another poem on Wednesday if nobody has a chance to read about the old sailor.
Maybe you could, or anyone for that matter, could post choice morsels.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

There is a "squashed" version on the 'net, but I didn't find it helpful. This poem reads faster than 23 pages of prose would, so it's really not that imposing. I find that the simple ballad meter and rhyme gets bit wearing, though.
Dawn

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Whew! I did it, the Ancient Mariner's tale...and my favorite lines, of course the sweet finish:
Farewell, farewell! but this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all.

And the whole thing needs a grand 'Amen!' But not being much for fantasy I can't say it was a favorite. The Lake of Innisfree was enchanting, more my speed (and length!)...
"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."--Jesus
"For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."--Jesus

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”