• In total there are 54 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Zodiac in Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: The Zodiac in Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper

Unread post

Penelope,

Can you elaborate on the geometric orbits?

Orbits are eliptical.

Take a look at this thread where we have been having fun with orbits. (yes. i said fun. *push up horn-rimmed glasses*)

http://www.booktalk.org/planetary-orbit ... t8576.html

of particular interest might be this link

http://www.wimp.com/earthyear/

which is a nice illustration of what our orbit actually looks like. All orbiting objects necessarily share similar orbits as their mass pulls against the sun, as well as all the other objects it pulls the center of the orbit slightly out of center, creating an elipse.

Objects on different trajectories are either ejected from the solar system, or collide with one of the stable orbits.

Sorry Robert, slightly off-topic here.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Leonardo's use of the zodiac here involves no astrology. It is just astronomy, just stars, just observation of the path of the sun against the galaxy, 100% empirical description.
I get the difference between the zodiac and astrology. But is there any evidence at all that Leonardo was encoding zodiac symbolism into his paintings?
-Geo
Question everything
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

johnson wrote:

Penelope,

Orbits are eliptical.

As Venus orbits the Sun, it would follow an elliptical orbit, but only from the point of view of the Sun. Because Earth also orbits the Sun, the two motions are combined, giving a different shape.

The orbits of Venus and Earth are almost a perfect 13:8 resonance, meaning that Venus does 13 orbits for every 8 of Earth. 13:8 is a succession in the Fibonacci Sequence, and the previous one is 8:5. Because of the time it takes for Earth to complete this orbit (8 years), Venus has moved in a sufficient manner to trace a pentagram with curved sides.

From the point of view from Earth, every planet has an irregular orbit, because we are coupling the motion of Earth to the motion of the other planet. Venus, due to its distance, has the most pronounced irregularity, and due to the very close resonance orbit, it traces an almost perfect geometrical shape. It's pure coincidence.
Source(s):
See http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en… for an image of the way the shape comes about.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

"So, applied to The Last Supper, these comments indicate that the embedding of the stars of the ecliptic is entirely empirical in intent, that the story of Christ reflects the natural story of the cycle of the year."

Dwill, I read Robert's sentence above to SUPPORT his theory of the embedded stars in the painting. He is only negating Leonardo's interest in Astrology, not astronomy
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

gotcha.

Thanks, Penelope.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson wrote:

gotcha.

Thanks, Penelope.
johnson, that reply was so bloody beautiful....it belongs on the poetry thread.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Penelope,
Orbits are eliptical.
Take a look at this thread where we have been having fun with orbits. (yes. i said fun. *push up horn-rimmed glasses*)
http://www.booktalk.org/planetary-orbit ... t8576.html
of particular interest might be this link
http://www.wimp.com/earthyear/
which is a nice illustration of what our orbit actually looks like. All orbiting objects necessarily share similar orbits as their mass pulls against the sun, as well as all the other objects it pulls the center of the orbit slightly out of center, creating an elipse.
Objects on different trajectories are either ejected from the solar system, or collide with one of the stable orbits.
Sorry Robert, slightly off-topic here.
The geometry of the relation between Earth and Venus is actually entirely on topic and I had already raised it myself, but naughty Penelope neglected to quote.

The Venus Pentagram is used by Dan Brown as the key to his Da Vinci Code. I first raised it back in 2007 (on my grandmother's 99th birthday) at the bad astronomy forum where I said
The Earth Venus conjunction features interestingly in The Da Vinci Code. Because 13 Venus years are almost precisely equal to 8 Earth years, there are 13/5 = 2.6 Venus years for each 8/5 = 1.6 earth years. The common "0.6" in the two cycles means that when Venus has orbited 2.6 times, the Earth has orbited 1.6 times, so they line up exactly again with the sun. The five inferior or superior conjunctions are therefore at 1.6, 3.2, 4.8, 6.4 and 8 earth years = 2.6, 5.2, 7.8, 10.4 and 13 Venus years. For example, the inferior conjunction of Earth and Venus on 18 August 2007 was the fifth such event since the same date in 1999. These five points form a perfect pentagram in space, the divine shape of Pythagorean lore and the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo, as discussed by Dan Brown. There is reportedly a 0.0789 day slippage of this pentagram every 584 days.

The inferior conjunction of Venus occurs every 583.93 days as Venus passes between the Earth and the Sun. Most recent was 18 August 2007. The period for every fifth event is eight years minus 2.4 days, so it will happen on 16 August 2015. This regular period, due to the 13/8 relation between the orbits of Venus and Earth, also applies to the superior conjunction (Venus behind Sun), the dates of change to forward and retrograde motion, and the dates when Venus is at maximum apparent angle of 45-47 degrees each side of the sun. Venus was recently at maximum angle on 9 June 2007 and went retrograde on 30 July. In eight years, it will reach these positions on 7 June 2015 and 27 July 2015 respectively, 2.4 days before the corresponding days this year.

For the ancients, the date when Venus as evening or morning star changed direction could have been a main temporal marker, observed 2.4 days earlier against the zodiac stars every eight years. I would be interested in any information on this - did the ancients monitor the apparent 2.4 day precession of the position of Venus each eight years? This movement is certainly much easier to observe than the precession of the zodiac recorded by Hipparchus in the second century BCE.

The ten points of the apparent change of direction of Venus (five each for the evening and morning stars) form two pentagons, each evenly spaced around the zodiac. These pentagons precess with an orbital period of about 1217.5 years, as do the inferior and superior conjunctions. The Pythagorean School of ancient Greece used the pentagon as its symbol, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Pythagoreans. They had a strong interest in the mathematics of celestial observation, and had cultural affinity to the themes of beauty and love symbolized by Venus/Aphrodite. For these reasons, I imagine it is likely the Pythagoreans monitored this nearly exact eight year cycle. Would their secrecy mean we will never know?

Fifty years of Venus Dates

Inferior Conjunction; 10/11/1970; 18/6/1972; 24/1/1974; 28/8/1975; 6/4/1977; 8/11/1978; 15/6/1980; 21/1/1982; 25/8/1983; 4/4/1985;
5/11/1986; 13/6/1988; 19/1/1990; 23/8/1991; 2/4/1993; 3/11/1994;
11/6/1996; 17/1/1998; 20/8/1999; 30/3/2001; 31/10/2002; 8/6/2004;
14/1/2006; 18/8/2007; 28/3/2009; 29/10/2010; 6/6/2012; 12/1/2014;
16/8/2015; 25/3/2017; 27/10/2018;

Average Days between aspects: 583.93
Year x 8/5: 584.4 days
Days lost per eight year cycle: 2.4
Years lost per 8 yr cycle: 0.0065708
Cycles per precessional rotation: 152.19
Years per Precessional rotation: 1,217.5
Years per pentagon point precession: 243.5
Dates of Venus Earth Conjunctions over 50 years.jpg
Dates of Venus Earth Conjunctions over 50 years.jpg (219.98 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert wrote:

The geometry of the relation between Earth and Venus is actually entirely on topic and I had already raised it myself, but naughty Penelope neglected to quote.
I didn't neglect, I didn't know.

johnson's query was directed at me, and I did not give him duff information.

The point is that the pentagram is true. I hand the stage over to you Robert.

Far be it from me....etc...etc..

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Forgive my gentle laughter at you Penelope. I simply assumed you were reading the thread. Or maybe what I write looks at first glance like such a dense and impenetrable thicket that even Prince Charming would struggle to hack through to find Sleeping Beauty, and I will remain invisible for another hundred years. I do try to write simply, but this material involves deep challenges to philosophical assumptions. The common derision of The Da Vinci Code is a case in point. I thought it was a superb book, following Leonardo's genius in embedding high secrets in a potboiler, rather like the New Testament in that regard in fact.

One of the books that inspired Dan Brown was The Templar Revelation - Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince. I just dug out my copy, and its opening chapter on Leonardo begins with a study of secret messages in The Last Supper. The great irony is that they focus almost entirely on whether the beloved disciple is Mary Magdalene rather than John, and completely miss the real cosmic coding that I am explaining now.

Here is how they open their book on the Templar legacy, edited to highlight their comments that are accidentally supportive of my observation of the zodiac in the Last Supper:
The Secret Code of Leonardo da Vinci
It is one of the most famous and enduring works of art in all the world. Leonardo da Vinci's fresco The Last Supper is the one surviving piece of the original church of Santa Maria delle Grazie near Milan...

Leonardo's [painting of the last supper] has for some reason captured the imagination more than most ... Some images may be so familiar that they are never truly examined, and although they lie openly before the viewer's gaze and invite closer scrutiny, at their most profound and meaningful level they actually remain totally closed books. So it is with Leonardo's Last Supper... Generations of academics had simply not observed what leapt to our startled notice... such explosive information had lain patiently waiting all this time for writers like us from outside the mainstream of historical or religious research to discover.

So to begin our story proper we have to return to Leonardo's Last Supper and look at it with new eyes... to let the scales of preconception fall from one's eyes and perhaps for the first time really look at it... Leonardo must have hoped that perhaps others who shared his unusual interpretation of the New Testament message would recognise his version, or that someone, somewhere, some objective observer, would one day seize on the image ... and ask the obvious questions...

We have often heard it said that Leonardo was a pious Christian whose religious paintings reflected the depth of his faith... Nothing could be further from the truth than the idea that Leonard was a true believer - a believer, that is, in any accepted... form of Christianity. Already, the curious and anomalous features in just one of his works seem to indicate that he was trying to tell us of another layer of meaning in that familiar biblical scene, of another world of belief beyond the accepted outline of the image... Whatever those heterodox inclusions may mean, they were... totally at variance with orthodox Christianity...

Leonardo was the first real scientist, a man who had no time for superstitions or religion in any form, who was the very antithesis of the mystic or the occultist. Yet [materialists and rationalists] have failed to see what is plainly set out before their eyes...

Leonardo's other works ... underline his own specific heretical obsessions through carefully applied and consistent imagery... they are not just the equivalent of sticking a red nose on St Peter, for example. What we are looking at in The Last Supper and other works is the secret code of Leonardo da Vinci, which we believe has a startling relevance for the world today....

He despised fortune tellers but his accounts list monies paid to astrologers ... he was both a profound thinker and a master of riddles... there was surely no need for him to put his head on the block by working such heretical messages into his paintings unless he had a passionalte belief in them ... Leonard was deeply, seriously committed to a system of belief that ran totally counter to ... mainstream Christianity.

The lynchpin of all the groups of the day was hermeticism, which takes its name from Hermes Trismegistus, the great, if legendary, Egyptian magus... the most important part of hermetic thinking was the idea that man was in some way literally divine - a concept that was in itself so threatening to the Church's hold on the hearts and minds of its flock as to be deemed anathema... Giordano Bruno (1548-1600) ... proclaimed that his beliefs came from an ancient Egyptian religion that preceded Christianity - and which eclipsed it in importance ... given the risks involved in being openly part of them, it is unlikely that Leonardo would commit any evidence of this to paper...

was the message that can be read into his paintings in some way actually true?
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Interesting Robert. "The Tulip Code" continues...

It's definitely something to consider. I tend to think that LD was on to most of this as others were. We always find those here and there who understood the links to ancient Egyptian lore and it wasn't completely lost at any point when you really get into it. It was just lesser known for a while. I can see how this particular correspondence seems odd at first glance because as we know the DC is largely fiction and any speculation concerning The Last Supper is immediately suspect in likewise fashion. It's still worth considering though.

The pentagram of Venus is a good case and point for how something simple like the basic mapping of a planetary orbit (the orbit of a wanderer unlike the back ground stars which do not wander in the way that planets do) drew attention from ancient observers. Venus, among other things, was the morning star and the "light bearer" of myth. The story of the fall of Lucifer from heaven is pretty much based on an old allegory about how the planet Venus shines bright just before sunrise but then the sun comes up and blows it into insigficance - Jesus verses Lucifer:

So in time the pentagram became associated with evil and so on. And Venus was eventually viewed with negativity because of this. Some people could see this correspondence between Venus and the pentagram of occult lore and start thinking 'well that's a coincidence' when it really isn't much a coincidence at all. The pentagram is what it is today because it's based on astronomical observation from the beginning and also tied into the mathematical geometry of the heavens in likewise fashion.

It's interesting to look back at all of the superstition and nonesense going around from believers and satanist and occultists about this astral symbolism which is simply a small piece of the old astronomical observation given allegorically in myth. In the end it boils down to the question of whether or not there's anything evil or spooky or even good about the freaking planet Venus wandering about the night sky and shinning bring just before sunrise...
:P
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”