• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Most popular Book in year 2010

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
apurvaa

Most popular Book in year 2010

Unread post

hey do you know which is the top selling and popular book in 2010
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Most popular Book in year 2010

Unread post

apurvaa wrote:hey do you know which is the top selling and popular book in 2010
I didn't realize at first that you'd posted in the poetry forum. Did you mean to ask which is the top-selling poetry book of 2010? That would be an interesting question. I'd like know not just that, but how many copies it sold, even though the number would be dismayingly low. I could only find the top ten poetry books, not the sales figures. The list is in reverse order.

10. Lighthead by Terrance Hayes

This year's National Book Award winner, Lighthead is Hayes's fourth collection of poems and continues in his particular style, with influences ranging from Wallace Stevens to Marvin Gaye: "Ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and children of the state, / I am here because I could never get the hang of Time."

9. If There is Something to Desire by Vera Pavlova

The first full-length collection of this renowned Russian poet's work to appear in English, many of these hundred short poems first appeared in Poetry magazine, including "Am I Lovely? Of Course!"

8. Hard Times Require Furious Dancing by Alice Walker

Slender lines of verse from the author of The Color Purple, one of America's "best-loved writers," according to Booklist.

7. The Living Fire by Edward Hirsch

New and selected poems from the author of How to Read a Poem (and Fall in Love with Poetry): "In the lion's den / of our bed, I could not cope / with your rude remark."

6. Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon

A poet and a cartoonist, Kleon took the erasure tradition to the New York Times and made poems that the New Yorker declared "resurrect the newspaper when everyone else is declaring it dead."

5. White Egrets by Derek Walcott

The fourteenth collection of poems from the Nobel Prize winning Walcott "contemplates his own demise," according to the Guardian.

4. The Human Chain by Seamus Heaney

Another fourteenth collection from a Nobel Prize winner, this one also contemplates mortality, days gone by, and missing friends: "The door was open and the house was dark / Wherefore I called his name, although I knew / The answer this time would be silence."

3. Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty by Tony Hoagland

The latest from the author of What Narcissism Means to Me, as well as a diagnostic essay on the tribes of contemporary American poetry called "Recognition, Vertigo, and Passionate Worldliness."

2. Swan by Mary Oliver

The twentieth collection from America's foremost nature poet: "What can I say that I have not said before? . . . So I'll say it again./The leaf has a song in it."

1. Nox by Anne Carson

Publishers Weekly described Nox as "a foldout, Jacob's ladder collage of letters, photographs, and poetry, all housed in a beautiful box." It's the first book of poetry from Carson in five years, and it takes on the subject of Catallus's "poem 101" as well as, and more prominently, the death of Carson's brother. It's an art book elegy that Sam Anderson of New York Magazine called "the opposite of an e-reader," and it's 2010's best selling book of poetry.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Most popular Book in year 2010

Unread post

Top selling books of poetry, what an interesting thought! Whether or not apurvaa meant poetry books or not I'm in.
DWill wrote: I didn't realize at first that you'd posted in the poetry forum. Did you mean to ask which is the top-selling poetry book of 2010? That would be an interesting question. I'd like know not just that, but how many copies it sold, even though the number would be dismayingly low. I could only find the top ten poetry books, not the sales figures. The list is in reverse order.
I couldn't find actual sales figures either, but I did come up with something that might give us some idea of how books of poetry are selling. I went on Amazon.com to see how these books were ranked for sales.

1. Nox by Anne Carson - Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #6,169 in Books

2. Swan by Mary Oliver - Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #15,417 in Books

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”