• In total there are 38 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The NT was written in the 2nd century

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

The NT was written in the 2nd century

Unread post

Here's an excellent video series outlining the problem of first century Gospel dating. I'm posting the 25 part series and it's well worth watching for those interested in understanding the ins and outs of why first century dating is based on wishful thinking at best:

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The NT was written in the 2nd century

Unread post

More trash?

Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.
70 AD is during the First Century
Why is there no mention of the destruction of Jerusalem in the NT if it was written in the
Second Century?

This ought to be good.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

I just posted a 25 part video series that answers that question in graphic detail, enjoy.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:I just posted a 25 part video series that answers that question in graphic detail, enjoy.
I figured that would be your response. I do not say answer because it is not one. I have read the Bible many times and there is no reference to the destruction of Jerusalem of the Temple as events which have occurred. On that basis, I charge that your post implying that the New Testament was written in the 2nd Century is False unless you resort to a ruse that you are correct becaue it was copied during the 2nd Century. The claim for 2nd century origin of the NT was thoroughly explored and rejected by scholars the the reason I cited among others. If you have some friends who take 25 videos to prove otherwise I suggest you shower, shave and delete the videos.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

It's too bad you choose to keep posting without watching first. You keep embarassing yourself in the process. And of course it isn't coming down. Readers need to be aware of the numerous problems and the simplest explanation that comes from taking all of the available evidence into consideration.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

This looks cool... I will give it a look...

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Thanks Frank, I've made friends with GodAlmighty after the series came out. Great guy.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:It's too bad you choose to keep posting without watching first. You keep embarassing yourself in the process. And of course it isn't coming down. Readers need to be aware of the numerous problems and the simplest explanation that comes from taking all of the available evidence into consideration.
My problem with the videos is that they are a lazy way of presenting information. They leave no lasting record for the viewer. If I want to check something I have to record the reference and then find it. If there is signfiicant evidence then produce it as a list of bullets with references. Futher, a 25 part series! are you serious? Who has time for that? You are just trying to overwhelm. I know what I am going to get anyway, convoluted reasoning, cross-references within the community and distorted quotes from mainstream scholars. The New Testament was complete by the end of the first century. Google: "when was the new testament written" and take your pick.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

This video starts with the assumption that the NT is considered to be written late in the first century and then moves on from there. If you want to check the sources then you hit pause, get the source, and then go from there. Most of the sources in GodAlmighty's videos are online sources, easily accessed by the viewer, and are readily available for all to seek out and consider. But then you would have already known that if cared to watch the series before trying to comment on it. No matter, it's all right there for you to watch, read, and consider Stahrwe - and everyone else browsing the Biblical section of the BT forums of course. It's about gaining higher knowledge about this particular issue...
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:This video starts with the assumption that the NT is considered to be written late in the first century and then moves on from there. If you want to check the sources then you hit pause, get the source, and then go from there. Most of the sources in GodAlmighty's videos are online sources, easily accessed by the viewer, and are readily available for all to seek out and consider. But then you would have already known that if cared to watch the series before trying to comment on it. No matter, it's all right there for you to watch, read, and consider Stahrwe - and everyone else browsing the Biblical section of the BT forums of course. It's about gaining higher knowledge about this particular issue...
I restate my objections and comments. The series is a waste of time. It does not account for the most simple of objections and its premise has been examined and dismissed by countless NT scholars.
Dates of composition
The earliest works which came to be part of the New Testament are the letters of the Apostle Paul. Most scholars generally agree on the dating of many books in the New Testament, except for those some believe to be pseudepigraphical[citation needed] (i.e., those thought not to be written by their traditional authors). The Gospel of Mark is dated from as early as the 50s, although most scholars date between the range of 65 and 72.[57] Most scholars believe that Matthew and Luke were written after the composition of Mark as they make use of Mark's content. Therefore they are generally dated later than Mark although the extent is debated. Matthew is dated between 70 and 85. Luke is usually placed within 80 to 95. However a select few scholars disagree with this as Luke indicates in the book of Acts that he has already written the Gospel of Luke prior to writing the introduction to Acts. The earliest of the books of the New Testament was First Thessalonians, an epistle of Paul, written probably in AD 51, or possibly Galatians in 49 according to one of two theories of its writing. Of the pseudepigraphical epistles, scholars tend to place them somewhere between 70 and 150, with Second Peter usually being the latest.[citation needed]
In the 1830s German scholars of the Tübingen school dated the books as late as the 3rd century, but the discovery of some New Testament manuscripts and fragments from the 2nd and 3rd centuries, one of which dates as early as AD 125 (Papyrus 52), disproves a 3rd century date of composition for any book now in the New Testament. Additionally, a letter to the church at Corinth in the name of Clement of Rome in 95 quotes from 10 of the 27 books of the New Testament, and a letter to the church at Philippi in the name of Polycarp in 120 quotes from 16 books. Therefore, some of the books of the New Testament were at least in a first-draft stage, though there is negligible evidence in these quotes or among biblical manuscripts for the existence of different early drafts. Other books were probably not completed until later, assuming they must have been quoted by Clement or Polycarp. There are, however, many discrepancies between manuscripts, though the majority of the errors are clearly errors of transcription or minor in scope.

On the other extreme is the dating proposed by John A. T. Robinson. He claimed that, since he believed none of the writings in the New Testament showed clear evidence of a knowledge of the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem (in AD 70), which Robinson thought should certainly have appeared considering the importance of that event for Jews and Christians of that time, that every book which would come to form the New Testament was therefore written before AD 70.[58] Given Robinson's appeal to the absence of evidence, his view is widely rejected by New Testament scholars.
57. ^ Larry Hurtado, Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity. 260.
58. ^ Robinson, John A. T.: Redating the New Testament. Philadelphia: Westminster, 1976.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testam ... omposition
Also, check out the sermon from Joe Coffey
The Problem with the Bible
hudsonchapel.org/site.cfm/watch-listen. ... en.cfm.cfm

Though I disagree with the last point of the Wikipedia article, it strengthens the case against the video series.
Last edited by stahrwe on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”