• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Fiction suggestions needed for Jan./Feb. discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Fiction suggestions needed for Jan./Feb. discussion

Unread post

I just came across a little gem. Luka and the Fire of Life by Salmon Rushdie.

http://www.amazon.com/Luka-Fire-Life-Sa ... 889&sr=1-1
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Thank you silverberry for introducing your novel for consideration. I have read the reviews for "Pink Noise" and what I find interesting is that it is called a "prose poem". Also, it would be unique to discuss a novel with the author. Thanks again.

Below you will find a link to the collection of classics from Easton Press. For those who enjoy classic literature, please take a look at this list and nominate one or two that are of interest. Please remember to add a link, and please, fiction selections only. http://www.listology.com/list/easton-pr ... er-written

My suggestion from this list is:

The Count of Monte Cristo
Alexandre Dumas

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Crist ... 0140449264
The story takes place in France, Italy, islands in the Mediterranean and the Levant during the historical events of 1815–1838 (from just before the Hundred Days through to the reign of Louis-Philippe of France). The historical setting is a fundamental element of the book. It is an adventure story primarily concerned with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy and forgiveness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

Now this novel is lengthy. However, this novel has been highly praised by many readers here at BT. A novel of this length, 1300 pages would require a third month. The goal of a great discussion is to keep interest alive. A novel of length and depth may achieve this goal.

"Pilgrims Progress", which has been suggested is also from the Easton Press list. I would be interested in participating in a discussion of this novel.

We do need to select a book shortly. The top three-four novels with the most positive feedback will be placed in a poll for voting. Feedback is crucial! Please make your suggestions soon, and don't forget to leave feedback on the books nominated. :)
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I recently started reading The Count of Monte Cristo, so I second that suggestion.

On the front cover of my copy, Robert Louis Stevenson calls it "a piece of perfect storytelling"

From a random book review:
As translator Robin Buss points out in his introduction, many of those who haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo assume it is a children's adventure story, complete with daring prison escape culminating in a simple tale of revenge. There is very little for children in this very adult tale, however. Instead, the rich plot combines intrigue, betrayal, theft, drugs, adultery, presumed infanticide, torture, suicide, poisoning, murder, lesbianism, and unconventional revenge. http://www.slywy.com/bookreviews/cristo.html
Dawn

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

The Brother K by David James Duncan
http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-K-David- ... 362&sr=8-1
Has anyone read The Brothers K? It’s a fascinating blend of religion, atheism, and agnosticism all played out in the stories of four brothers growing up in a religiously divided home. (The mother’s a Seventh Day Adventist; the father a skeptic.) I guess you could say it’s a modern take-off of The Brothers Karamazov but in this case the setting is the 60’s with all its issues including the Vietnam War. Expect violence. Expect language. But not without very witty dialogue and life-like characterizations. This book took me closer than I wanted to go to the Vietnam War, an insane assylum, sexual abuse and the ins and outs of baseball (no pun intended!) but was nevertheless the best book I’ve read all year! Despite its length (645pg.) you don’t want it to be over when the end comes. (And it's nicely 'chunked' up into individual incidents that allow plenty of opportunity for interruptions.) This was my first time reading David James Duncan. I highly recommend his writing. I’d love to have the opportunity to re-visit this book and discuss it here!
-----------------

I'd also be open to a good classic like Pilgrim's Progress or the Count of Monte Cristo, but the Brothers K would be my top pick! Don't miss it.
"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."--Jesus
"For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."--Jesus
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I would read Pilgrim's Progress.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:I would read Pilgrim's Progress.
I have changed the link to "Pilgrim's Progress" in an earlier post. The original link provided was for the abridged copy. If this novel is chosen, the unabridged version would be best.
silverberry
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:Thank you silverberry for introducing your novel for consideration. I have read the reviews for "Pink Noise" and what I find interesting is that it is called a "prose poem". Also, it would be unique to discuss a novel with the author. Thanks again.
Thank you, Suzanne. Pink Noise is indeed a 30,000-words prose poem in disguise, even when it touches upon science.
Suzanne wrote:Below you will find a link to the collection of classics from Easton Press. For those who enjoy classic literature, please take a look at this list and nominate one or two that are of interest. Please remember to add a link, and please, fiction selections only. http://www.listology.com/list/easton-pr ... er-written
Not to be accused of pushing for my own book only, let me also pick something from that list. Most of the books there, unfortunately, may be too well known, so that it could be hard for many members to say something new--and even that may be colored, even unconsciously, by the countless opinions the member may have heard (or read) over the years; indeed, some of those books are in the high school curricula.

However, poetry is something that may always present a new, fresh angle with any new perception of it. So, following the inner poet inside me, please me to offer you:

79. The Rubáiyát Of Omar Khayyám by Omar Khayyám
http://www.amazon.com/Rubaiyat-Omar-Kha ... 996&sr=1-1

Leo
http://www.pinknoise.net
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

I would be nice to discuss a novel with its author alas that is not happening with The Road or Decameron, neither a seasonal read.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I have a Ouija board if that helps.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:I have a Ouija board if that helps.
That doesn't surprise me. You should read what G. K. Chesterton the famous ex-atheist says about an experience he had with one.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”