• In total there are 27 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 861 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:41 pm

Stop trying to keep the good stuff away from your kids.

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Stop trying to keep the good stuff away from your kids.

Unread post

A child's whole being is dedicated to learning how to interact with the world. There is possibly no better time in life to get complete dominance of a thing than when you are a child.

http://www.wimp.com/northkorean/

I have seen dozens of videos online of kids playing masterful guitar, piano, flute and everything else.

I have seen little kids boxing with better form than pros, and tiny shao lin monks who do crazy crazy acrobatics, then do the splits and bite their toes.... while doing the splits!

Next time your kid tries to touch your guitar, don't shew them away from it. Teach them how to master it.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Stop trying to keep the good stuff away from your kids.

Unread post

A good point. Unless it is some rock legends stratocaster worth millions of dollars. If you really can't share, buy an inexpensive guitar, paint set, tool kit, whatever and share your interest. If they really become passionate about it, then you can buy them a good one.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here's a four year old drummer.

he's good.

This could be your child. Encourage their exploration of the world. Help them master it.

http://www.wimp.com/incredibledrummer/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
vetwriter
No End in Sight

Unread post

I have to say that as long as whatever it is that my children are in interested in isn't harmful to their minds or bodies, or anyone else's mind and body, then I'll try to support them in everything they do. If they have a passion for something, it's better than lacking the passion for anything.
To find out more about both myself and the books I have written, please visit: http://www.virginiafrazier.webs.com
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

here's that 5 year old boxer.

http://www.wimp.com/yearboxer/

Did you see that?!

Make your kid awesome! There is no reason for them to suck at anything. It is your responsibility to make your kid outstanding.

I hate watching parents ignore their children. Sitting them in front of the TV and saying,

"Whew. I am just glad to get a moment to myself."

You are insane. Anything that has ever been done has been done by people. You have a little person just waiting to happen over there. They can match the best achievements of anything in human history. Help them do it.

Having a child doesn't mean you get a title: Parent. It's an activity: Parenting.
-Guillermo Del Torro

phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

my daughter was hell-bent on learning how to play the guitar. At first I tried to dissuade her because every time she wanted to try a new game or instrument, she would lose interest very quickly. When she was in a music store about one year ago with her boyfriend, she came home with a pricy but beautiful guitar. She is self taught and to this day she goes into her room and plays the most beautiful songs. Now, I feel horrible that I tried to keep her away from something that she really loves. Now I realize how important music is in a child's life!
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Like that post earlier, you wouldn't necessarily give your kid a grand piano because they are interested in music.

You are right to be conservative when a child wants to get into something expensive, and guitars certainly are that. My first guitar was a cheap 300 dollar guitar / amp combo. a good price to start me off and determine whether i wanted to continue with music or not.

I ended up getting a few more guitars. The buy-in doesnt have to be prohibitively expensive.
-Guillermo Del Torro

phillies4evr
Intern

Unread post

Johnson--- the best thing that my daughter did was to purchase her guitar. she plays it so often that it was well worth the investment in our case. But, a baby grand piano would have probably been out of the question! LOL. She could have had piano lessons but that's were it would've had to end. To top it off, we don't even have room in our house for a baby grand piano!! But, she has purchased a few less expensive guitars, one of them is electric, and she also has the amps. I am so glad that she has taken a huge interest in this and I will never talk her out of something music related, as long as it is in reason, ever again.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/danceoff/

go to 3:09 and be disappointed with your kids.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

watch this kid blow up the drum set....

he's two.

Your kids have great potential. as much as anyone ever had.

Help them reach for the stars.

http://www.wimp.com/twodrummer/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”