Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
what is your favorite musical? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Post Re: what is your favorite musical?
I've been listening to The Music Man a lot lately. Sometimes I forget that I really do like a lot of the more traditional musicals.

And hey, it beat out West Side Story for the best new musical Tony back in the '50s, so it has to be good!* :-P

*Actually, if I were judging the Tonies that year, West Side Story would have won hands down. But what can you do?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

My favorite musical is not something i can really answer. I love all musicals. My favorite musicals are rent, phantom of the opera, sugar, honk, Joseph and the amazing Technicolor dreamboat.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

Ah, I like so many musicals such as Oliver!, Grease, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (or dreamboat according to stiffanbond :P), Cats, The Sound of Music, The King and I, Billy Elliot, Evita, Phantom of the Opera, Annie, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Sister Act etc.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 am
Profile Email
Intern

This is a very, very, veeeery hard question. It's almost mean!

I think the one's you've been in will always hold a slightly higher place in your heart than one's you've seen.... AND one bad performance can ruin a musical for a person without really giving it a chance. Oh dear. I'm going to have to go with Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Seeing different versions and performance techniques has me fully appreciating it for all of its dark humour and great music. The movie was alright, but missed out on a few of my favourite songs.

Stiffanbond, did you really enjoy Honk? I can't say that I did, same with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor "Dreamboat". Maybe like I said, it's the performance that makes it. What did you enjoy about them? This goes out to anyone who enjoyed either of them.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:16 pm
Pop up Book Fanatic

Cannibal the Musical!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

KristoffX wrote:
Cannibal the Musical!

:lol:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 pm
Cunning Linguist

Oh I don't even know where to start. Les Miserables is probably my number one musical. There are no words to describe how fantastic the music in that play is. Jesus Christ Superstar is a close second. I performed in it my senior year of high school, and it was the absolute best experience of my life. Kiss Me Kate, Brigadoon, L'il Abner, and The Music Man are also some others I performed in that are absolutely fabulous musicals. Pretty much any Andrew Lloyd Webber or Rogers and Hammerstein musical, I love. Rent and Wicked are also atop my list. To make a long story short...I love musicals.

When I was a kid, my life goal was to perform in Cats on Broadway. I just about died when they took it off Broadway. :cry:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:08 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Seraphim wrote:
When I was a kid, my life goal was to perform in Cats on Broadway. I just about died when they took it off Broadway. :cry:

I always felt that Cats leaving Broadway was a sure sign of the apocalypse. Guess I was wrong. :-P

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:26 pm
Cunning Linguist

bleachededen wrote:
I always felt that Cats leaving Broadway was a sure sign of the apocalypse. Guess I was wrong. :-P

Don't count it out just yet. 2012 is just around the corner. Perhaps it's the warning sign that the doomsday theory is true! :shock:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

:lol:

I always knew it would be Andrew Lloyd Webber who'd lead in the end of the world. :laugh2:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

my favorite musical, at least a current musical would have to be 'Mamma Mia'.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Easy Reader

Silver Contributor

I love musicals. It is hard to say a favorite, because my favorite depends on my mood. I loved Spring Awakening. I saw it twice on Broadway.

to the sharp pit
so long concealed
--May Swenson

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Saffron wrote:
I love musicals. It is hard to say a favorite, because my favorite depends on my mood. I loved Spring Awakening. I saw it twice on Broadway.

I'd say "Hair" or "Bye Bye Birdie." I also like the movie musicals "Across the Universe" and "the Producers." Generally I don't like musicals and would only watch "The Sound of Music" at gunpoint. This afternoon I happened to see "Oklahoma!," which was part of a package deal at the new Arena Stage in Washington, DC. It was well done and held my interest, had lots of dancing which I liked better than most of the songs. It also had a dream sequence that was actually a bit edgy and pretty risque, something that might not have been part of the original 1943 production. The plot was conventional for all that.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3