• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: How do you feel about the Tea Party movement?

Unread post

Europe has now begun reporting on the Tea Party. And we're highly worried over here. Governments that make decisions based on prayer and divine inspiration instead of necessary discussion, facts and communication seem dangerous. And quite frankly, this movement parallels other horrifying movements from the past, including one very infamous one in Germany. The religious fundamentalism then was the Aryan cult., but the socio-economic (including racism) problems were quite similar.
I could understand a counter movement based on conservatism (which is missing) but not on a void.
Very, very disturbing.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Europe has now begun reporting on the Tea Party. And we're highly worried over here. Governments that make decisions based on prayer and divine inspiration instead of necessary discussion, facts and communication seem dangerous. And quite frankly, this movement parallels other horrifying movements from the past, including one very infamous one in Germany. The religious fundamentalism then was the Aryan cult., but the socio-economic (including racism) problems were quite similar.
I could understand a counter movement based on conservatism (which is missing) but not on a void.
Very, very disturbing.

If that is what is being reported then it is extremely inaccurate. The Tea Party Movement as the name implies is primarily opposed to bloated, wasteful, unresponsive government. It is not a religious movement, and while it is true that there is a high percentage of evagelical Christian represented in the Tea Party the movement does not advocate for a Theocratic state. It is not the Christians that you need fear. Just ask Angela Merkel. It turns out she recently confirmed some prior posts I had made about Islamic separatism and the problems it posed for Europe and Germany.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Since we know that doesn't happen, you then suggest nothing be done about it?
What do you suggest we do about it Starwhe - since you do not like the idea of government intervention. The stockholders are not beholden to the American people, only themselves. Thom Hartman says that "we are the government." I agree completely. We choose the country that we want and we choose the people who represent us. Therefore, the people who represent us are responsible to us. Stockholders are not. This is why I think it is beneficial that the government, the government that represents the people of the US, is who should regulate businesses.
People who live like kings should pay more to the system that made it possible.
I agree.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote: People who live like kings should pay more to the system that made it possible.
I used to be a news reporter and I have seen many examples of government providing a guiding hand which is ultimately very much in the people's best interest. Developers typically have to improve roads and build sidewalks to make sure that highway safety and pedestrian access are maintained. I used to live in Florida where developers were allowed to run rampant before municipalities began imposing better planning and zoning laws, but in many communities this government control came too late. As a result many communities are pedestrian nightmares. There are no good places to ride bicycles and people are routinely killed trying to cross busy highways. I have also lived in Ashland, Oregon, and the city's planners here had prioritized good planning and made sure to leave room for plenty of sidewalks and bike paths. Certainly these extra costs make some projects unfeasible, but there is no way that developers would voluntarily incur extra costs of their own volition. This is just one area where the strong arm of the government is needed to protect the interests of the people. There is a balance between good government and an overbearing government and we should always strive to find that point.
Last edited by geo on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
toodeemo
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

@Geo, often developers, in return for favorable zoning accomodations, agree to add things like bike paths, parks and other open public areas in their projects. It's a win win situation. The municipality gets something in return for allowing the developer to complete its otherwise non complying use. That's what compromise is about. It works well most of the time.
To do is to be...Socrates

To be is to do...Sartre

Do be do be do...Sinatra
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I have also lived in Ashland, Oregon,
I love Ashland! If I lived down there I would see every play every year in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival!

There is a balance between good government and an overbearing government and we should always strive to find that point.
Very true.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Europe has now begun reporting on the Tea Party. And we're highly worried over here. Governments that make decisions based on prayer and divine inspiration instead of necessary discussion, facts and communication seem dangerous. And quite frankly, this movement parallels other horrifying movements from the past, including one very infamous one in Germany. The religious fundamentalism then was the Aryan cult., but the socio-economic (including racism) problems were quite similar.
Very, very disturbing.
Some of us are very worried over here also. My father-in-law lived in Germany before and during the Hitler reign and I've heard first-hand how the Natzis used fear and a bad economic situation to take over the country. That is exactly what fundamentalists and conservatives are trying to do here. I cringe everyday watching and hearing the ignorant, racist, self-centered rhetoric that is being fed to the American people, and fear for our future that so many people are swallowing this garbage.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:I love Ashland! If I lived down there I would see every play every year in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival!

My wife and I used to run the Ashland Gazette which was a monthly arts & entertainment rag. Buying the magazine and moving out there was one of my more foolish decisions, but living in Ashland was great. It really is a nice community. We may end up there again someday. And now that I've studied Shakespeare, I would get more out of seeing the plays. :wink:
-Geo
Question everything
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

My wife and I used to run the Ashland Gazette which was a monthly arts & entertainment rag. Buying the magazine and moving out there was one of my more foolish decisions, but living in Ashland was great. It really is a nice community. We may end up there again someday. And now that I've studied Shakespeare, I would get more out of seeing the plays.
:)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Some of us are very worried over here also. My father-in-law lived in Germany before and during the Hitler reign and I've heard first-hand how the Natzis used fear and a bad economic situation to take over the country. That is exactly what fundamentalists and conservatives are trying to do here. I cringe everyday watching and hearing the ignorant, racist, self-centered rhetoric that is being fed to the American people, and fear for our future that so many people are swallowing this garbage.
Instead of hating Jews they hate Muslims. Fear mongering and evil.

Return to “Current Events & History”