Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
My Thoughts 
Author Message
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7059
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1076
Thanked: 2074 times in 1663 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Concluding Thoughts
Quote:
My complaint isn't that Wright disbelieves the Abram story, it is that he ignores it. If he mentioned it and then burried if for some reason I would not object as strongly. But it seems ridiculous to me to just ignore it, especially in a book perporting to explain the origins of the monotheistic God.


There is no need to mention something which isn't true. Why do you keep mentioning this? The distinction is not to say that it is also definitely false, just that it is not shown to be true, therefore it does not hold any weight in the analysis.

Quote:
If you are going to selectively decode the Bible you can make it mean anything you want.


You think that what you do is any different?



Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4378
Location: NC
Thanks: 1861
Thanked: 1929 times in 1444 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: My Concluding Thoughts
DWill wrote:
Sorry for being absent from the discussion. I was out tramping around the woods for a couple of days, as it turned out during about the only rainy period in the last three months.


I've always wanted to point out that we're not far from one another DWill. We live in western North Carolina. My wife and I are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland which is even closer to you.

Speaking of tramping about in the woods, I'm gearing up to hike Cold Mountain (yes, that Cold Mountain). I've always wanted to hike it, but it's a somewhat daunting 10.6-mile hike. I want to make sure I'm in pretty good shape first. Soon, before it gets too cold.


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 16169
Location: Florida
Thanks: 3492
Thanked: 1326 times in 1045 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
I've changed the title of this thread from "My concluding thoughts" to simply "My thoughts" because the title gives newcomers the false impression that we are now wrapping up the discussion of "The Evolution of God." We're only getting started and are not even 50% through the discussion period. And with a book discussion this active this forum will probably remain out of the archives for at least one or two additional months beyond the end of the stated discussion period. "My concluding thoughts" seems to be a rush to end the discussion and whether this is your goal or not it is harmful to BookTalk.org.


_________________
The "Introduce Yourself" forum has been replaced with member Bios. To add your own Bio click on the User Control Panel link in the top green navigation bar, select Profile, then Bio.


Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile Email WWW
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Concluding Thoughts
Interbane wrote:
Quote:
My complaint isn't that Wright disbelieves the Abram story, it is that he ignores it. If he mentioned it and then burried if for some reason I would not object as strongly. But it seems ridiculous to me to just ignore it, especially in a book perporting to explain the origins of the monotheistic God.


There is no need to mention something which isn't true. Why do you keep mentioning this? The distinction is not to say that it is also definitely false, just that it is not shown to be true, therefore it does not hold any weight in the analysis.


Because Abram/Abraham is the central common ancestor for Jews, Christians, and Muslims. His story is also the story of the emergence of monotheism from polytheism. Wright may discount it as a myth but he should at least devote a paragraph in his book to doing so. In my opinion his failure to do so begs the question and leaves him wide open for what to me seems a devasting attack. Two thirds of the book of Genesis is devoted to Abraham and his children and grandchildren. His story creates the nations of Israel and the Arab states. How can he just ignore it?

Quote:
If you are going to selectively decode the Bible you can make it mean anything you want.


interbane wrote:
You think that what you do is any different?


Yes, and your comment is not a rebuttal of my argument.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Chris OConnor wrote:
I've changed the title of this thread from "My concluding thoughts" to simply "My thoughts" because the title gives newcomers the false impression that we are now wrapping up the discussion of "The Evolution of God." We're only getting started and are not even 50% through the discussion period. And with a book discussion this active this forum will probably remain out of the archives for at least one or two additional months beyond the end of the stated discussion period. "My concluding thoughts" seems to be a rush to end the discussion and whether this is your goal or not it is harmful to BookTalk.org.


Perhaps a better title would be Stahrwe's concluding thoughts. I was pretty much told to drop out of the TEoG discussion but I felt like I wanted to at least weigh in on a couple of what, to me at least, were important points before I dropped out of this one completely.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7059
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1076
Thanked: 2074 times in 1663 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Quote:
Because Abram/Abraham is the central common ancestor for Jews, Christians, and Muslims.


Says who?

Quote:
Wright may discount it as a myth but he should at least devote a paragraph in his book to doing so.


If he discounts it as a myth, there is no "at least", you're fabricating a criticism based on your opinion, and nothing else. Then you're using your criticism to 'poison the well' so you can conveniently disregard the rest of Wright's book. That is despicable.

Quote:
Yes, and your comment is not a rebuttal of my argument.


You've posted numerous examples where you interpret the bible to mean what you want. In your zealotous apologetics, you mistake "not impossible" for "likeliest explanation". The omission of a character during the resurrection, impaling through the wrists during crucifixion, selecting only certain Hebrew connotations. Are you truly blind to your guilt?



Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor


Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3564
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1321
Thanked: 1150 times in 843 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: My Thoughts
Dunning-Kruger Effect.

It helps when you know there is a name for it.


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Interbane wrote:
Quote:
Because Abram/Abraham is the central common ancestor for Jews, Christians, and Muslims.


Says who?


That's your response?
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Abrahamic_religion

Quote:
Wright may discount it as a myth but he should at least devote a paragraph in his book to doing so.


interbane wrote:
If he discounts it as a myth, there is no "at least", you're fabricating a criticism based on your opinion, and nothing else. Then you're using your criticism to 'poison the well' so you can conveniently disregard the rest of Wright's book. That is despicable.


I pointed out that wasn't my only criticism but it is certainly significant. How is it any more despicable than you refusing to read the Bible but criticising it? At least I read the whole TEoG.

Quote:
Yes, and your comment is not a rebuttal of my argument.


interbane wrote:
You've posted numerous examples where you interpret the bible to mean what you want. In your zealotous apologetics, you mistake "not impossible" for "likeliest explanation". The omission of a character during the resurrection, impaling through the wrists during crucifixion, selecting only certain Hebrew connotations. Are you truly blind to your guilt?


did you miss my post in Epistemology regarding the crucifixion. In fact, I support the nails through the hands, not wrists.

This comment makes my point for me. The likliest explanation is that Abraham heard, or thought he heard God call him.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
johnson1010 wrote:
Dunning-Kruger Effect.

It helps when you know there is a name for it.


So, it's kind of like claiming you know the Bible is crap without ever having read it?


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7059
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1076
Thanked: 2074 times in 1663 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Quote:
That's your response?


Of course that's my response. I'm NOT taking the word of your fiction books. Corroborate it. I will not settle for faith as you do. Fiction books based on the same main character means they have common ancestry within the plotline, it does not mean that plotline reflects real life.

Quote:
I pointed out that wasn't my only criticism but it is certainly significant. How is it any more despicable than you refusing to read the Bible but criticising it? At least I read the whole TEoG.


You can't get past the first few pages with finding ridiculous information that goes against all conventional wisdom. That is how your interpretations are more despicable. Because you think your rationalized opinions have as much merit as objective observation and inductive reasoning.

Quote:
did you miss my post in Epistemology regarding the crucifixion. In fact, I support the nails through the hands, not wrists.


No, that's precisely the post I'm referring to. The likelihood of your interpretation is near zero. Why would Romans go to such great lengths to spike through a precise area of the hands when the wrists would do just fine? This is a rationalization. You interpret it to mean whatever you want. It's implausible. The plausible interpretation, and the most parsimonious one, is that they spiked through the wrists. Of course after making the repeated mistake of thinking adherence to your beliefs is what determines parsimony will require me to make an enlongated post showing why you're wrong.



Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4378
Location: NC
Thanks: 1861
Thanked: 1929 times in 1444 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: My Thoughts
deleted


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Last edited by geo on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Interbane wrote:
Quote:
That's your response?


Of course that's my response. I'm NOT taking the word of your fiction books. Corroborate it. I will not settle for faith as you do. Fiction books based on the same main character means they have common ancestry within the plotline, it does not mean that plotline reflects real life.

Quote:
I pointed out that wasn't my only criticism but it is certainly significant. How is it any more despicable than you refusing to read the Bible but criticising it? At least I read the whole TEoG.


You can't get past the first few pages with finding ridiculous information that goes against all conventional wisdom. That is how your interpretations are more despicable. Because you think your rationalized opinions have as much merit as objective observation and inductive reasoning.

Quote:
did you miss my post in Epistemology regarding the crucifixion. In fact, I support the nails through the hands, not wrists.


No, that's precisely the post I'm referring to. The likelihood of your interpretation is near zero. Why would Romans go to such great lengths to spike through a precise area of the hands when the wrists would do just fine? This is a rationalization. You interpret it to mean whatever you want. It's implausible. The plausible interpretation, and the most parsimonious one, is that they spiked through the wrists. Of course after making the repeated mistake of thinking adherence to your beliefs is what determines parsimony will require me to make an enlongated post showing why you're wrong.



Read the article about the NG special. It explains why the Romans nailed through the hands.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 6335
Location: Luray, Virginia
Thanks: 1839
Thanked: 2028 times in 1536 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Concluding Thoughts
stahrwe wrote:
I am always amazed at the enthusiasm with which you yankees trapse off into the woods on hikes. Here in Florida we don't hike in the woods. There are not that many places where the woods aren't swamp and there are things there that will eat you.

I'm sure Florida has its wonders, but in my one journey down there I just couldn't see what there was to get so excited about. I guess the biodiversity, lacking in the WV mountains, would be what makes it special. But I can see that camping would be more of a challenge there, as you don't generally want to get so close to the biodiversity in that situation.
Quote:
My complaint isn't that Wright disbelieves the Abram story, it is that he ignores it. If he mentioned it and then burried if for some reason I would not object as strongly. But it seems ridiculous to me to just ignore it, especially in a book perporting to explain the origins of the monotheistic God.

But if you look in the index, Abraham is not slighted. I think you might be misconceiving Wright's purpose in the book. He doesn't in a single instance that I can think of intend to debunk what Christians or Jews believe, though to you he may seem to. He hasn't intended to write a book about what Christians and Jews believe, so he wouldn't discuss the call of Abraham simply because it doesn't have a strong relevance to his main theme.
Quote:
My concerns regarding the book are summed up well by the author himself on page 102. The last paragraph refers to 'selective decoding of the Bible'. If you are going to selectively decode the Bible you can make it mean anything you want. It is the same problem I pointed out to Robert Tulip about considering the Bible as allegory. Once you start on that road there is no possibility of consensus. A poem means what it means to the reader and there are no wrong answers. A bible story means what it means to the reader and there are no right or wrong answers. And your selective decoding is as valid as my selective decoding.

Well, that's a myth about the meaning of a poem. There are certainly interpretations that a text supports and ones that it doesn't. Similarly, you can scrutinize any "decoding" on the basis of support from not only the text but other sources. My decoding is not as good as your decoding but must be evaluated. "Selective" is for me simply another word for "judicious,' the opposite of capricious.



Last edited by DWill on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.



Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4898
Location: Florida
Thanks: 177
Thanked: 344 times in 294 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Concluding Thoughts
DWill wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
I am always amazed at the enthusiasm with which you yankees trapse off into the woods on hikes. Here in Florida we don't hike in the woods. There are not that many places where the woods aren't swamp and there are things there that will eat you.

I'm sure Florida has its wonders, but in my one journey down there I just couldn't see what there was to get so excited about. I guess the biodiversity, lacking in the WV mountains, would be what makes it special. But I can see that camping would be more of a challenge there, as you don't generally want to get so close to the biodiversity in that situation.
Quote:
My complaint isn't that Wright disbelieves the Abram story, it is that he ignores it. If he mentioned it and then burried if for some reason I would not object as strongly. But it seems ridiculous to me to just ignore it, especially in a book perporting to explain the origins of the monotheistic God.

But if you look in the index, Abraham is not slighted. I think you might be misconceiving Wright's purpose in the book. He doesn't in a single instance that I can think of intend to debunk what Christians or Jews believe, though to you he may seem to. He hasn't intended to write a book about what Christians and Jews believe, so he wouldn't discuss the call of Abraham simply because it doesn't have a strong relevance to his main theme.
Quote:
My concerns regarding the book are summed up well by the author himself on page 102. The last paragraph refers to 'selective decoding of the Bible'. If you are going to selectively decode the Bible you can make it mean anything you want. It is the same problem I pointed out to Robert Tulip about considering the Bible as allegory. Once you start on that road there is no possibility of consensus. A poem means what it means to the reader and there are no wrong answers. A bible story means what it means to the reader and there are no right or wrong answers. And your selective decoding is as valid as my selective decoding.

Well, that's a myth about the meaning of a poem. There are certainly interpretations that a text supports and ones that it doesn't. Similarly, you can scrutinize any "decoding" on the basis of support from not only the text but other sources. My decoding is not as good as your decoding but must be evaluated. "Selective" is for me simply another word for "judicious,' the opposite of capricious.


There are principles of interpreting the Bible. They are called hermeneutics and they are intened to provide a structure to avoid wild speculation. It appears that Mr. Wright ignores hermeneutics completely with respect to the Bible.

As for Abraham being mentioned in the index. You are correct. However, if you follow the index to the applicable page there is not much there. This is especially frustrating with respect to the index citation: God appears to Abraham. I would expect to see the Genesis story of God's call of Abraham discussed on one of those pages but it itsn't.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7059
Location: Da U.P.
Thanks: 1076
Thanked: 2074 times in 1663 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: My Thoughts
Quote:
There are principles of interpreting the Bible. They are called hermeneutics and they are intened to provide a structure to avoid wild speculation. It appears that Mr. Wright ignores hermeneutics completely with respect to the Bible.


Your "principles" of hermeneutics are assumptions, axiomatic modes of interpretation. While structured, it is still speculation, and subjective. No better than what Wright does.



Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Resources 
HELPFUL INFO:
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
Advertise on BookTalk.org
How To Promote Your Book





BookTalk.org is a thriving book discussion forum, online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a community. Our forums are open to anyone in the world. While discussing books is our passion we also have active forums for talking about poetry, short stories, writing and authors. Our general discussion forum section includes forums for discussing science, religion, philosophy, politics, history, current events, arts, entertainment and more. We hope you join us!


Navigation 
MAIN NAVIGATION

HOMEFORUMSOUR BOOKSAUTHOR INTERVIEWSADVERTISELINKSFAQDONATETERMS OF USEPRIVACY POLICYSITEMAP

OTHER PAGES WORTH EXPLORING
Banned Book ListOnline Reading GroupTop 10 Atheism Books

Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2019. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank