• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Legacy of Balthazar (SciFi) posted by author Barrett James, Jr.

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
BARRETT
Getting Comfortable

The Legacy of Balthazar (SciFi) posted by author Barrett James, Jr.

Unread post

I would like to suggest to everyone that likes science fiction books to check out this title. I am the author and would love to have feedback on it. It's a new release (May 2010) and it's my first book. The story contains several genre elements such as aliens, spies, terrorists and rogue military factions, all done in a completely original storyline. It's also fairly long at over 500 pages, but I did my best to keep the action moving at a good pace. If you're a fan or Robert Heinlein, I think you'll enjoy this book, as I tried to emulate his style to the best of my abilities. By that I mean that I treated the science aspects of the story as a given, without going into page after page of explanation of how everything worked. After all, who really does that, anyway? Hope you enjoy it. And if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll check back often. Barrett James, Jr.
Here's a brief synopsis as it appears on the back cover:

THE LEGACY OF BALTHAZAR: INHERITANCE

An ancient and powerful alien civilization, all but destroyed by a celestial impact millennia ago. Now, after thousands of years, their plan to rebuild their race is nearing fruition, and it’s happening here, on Earth.

In the near future, the world is running out of known deposits of fossil fuels. Dr. Amanda Johnson, a brilliant, beautiful, and extremely tall computer designer and programmer, has been recruited by DARPA to design a satellite based scanning system to locate any hidden carbon reserves on the planet. This system, based in Phoenix, Arizona and called AUGER, will also be re-tasked to continuously track all nuclear materials once the carbon scans are completed.

Amanda’s fraternal twin brother, Tyler Johnson, also brilliant and extremely tall, is a world traveling archaeologist, working with their adoptive parents Gordon and Ashley Jameson. Tyler is aware of Amanda’s carbon based scanner system, and asks her to use it to search for small carbon deposits that may lead to previously undiscovered archaeological sites for him to excavate.

Amanda agrees, and, using Majel, a computer A.I. that she has developed, and that Tyler has, unknown to her at the time, modified, she finds several thousand potential sites, one of which is most unusual. A large cube shaped object buried in North Carolina. After informing her brother, he and their parents go to investigate. What they find will change their lives, and the world, forever.

Amanda and Tyler embark on an incredible journey that will take them as far away as the surface of Mars, and even to other dimensions. Along the way they will encounter aliens, suicidal terrorists, nuclear weapons, and even rogue elements of their own military. Difficulties which pale in comparison when they discover that they, Amanda and Tyler Johnson, are themselves another world’s Legacy.
Attachments
Book cover
Book cover
LEGACY COVER.jpg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Legacy of Balthazar (SciFi) posted by author Barrett James, Jr.

Unread post

Thanks for sharing your book with us.
BARRETT
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Legacy of Balthazar (SciFi) posted by author Barrett James, Jr.

Unread post

Thanks for replying, Chris. If you should happen to read my book, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on it. As I said in my original post, I'd really like to get some feedback on this novel, as I am already working on a second one. Any feedback I get will only help me, either by letting me know I did a good job, or pointing out places where I can improve.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”