• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What next?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Re: What next?

Unread post

Eat, Pray and Love received very severe and conflicted reviews when the book first came out. The synopsis didn't exactly knock my socks off and that's why I've yet to read it thus far. A real love/hate thing going on with that book based on initial reviews.

I'm only reading 2 books now and am totally transfixed: Arabs and Jews (Pulitzer Prize winner) by David K. Shipler

http://www.amazon.com/Arab-Jew-David-K- ... 902&sr=1-3

and the great classic (finally, heh): O Jerusalem By Larry Collins and Dominique LaPierre

Now I VERY BADLY cannot wait to read their other masterpiece: The Fifth Horseman. Oh boy! What a treat.

http://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Horseman-La ... 492&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/O-Jerusalem-Larry ... 727&sr=1-1

For people who have some interest in the Middle East, I highly recommend these, the others I may have mentioned and I can come up with eleventy-eleven more. Just ask. ;-)
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:I haven't read Eat, Pray, Love. It sounds too sappy. Kind of like it's precursor, Bridges of Madison County. Remember that hype a number of years ago?
:o OMG

:lol: After hearing how my mom described it, that is EXACTLY what I said "Sounds like Bridges of Madison County".
They say 90% of the game is half mental.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

In that case, I know I will not read it. It seems to have been written solely for the purpose of commercialization.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I find this entire phenomenon amazing. 1,000 people love it and 500 people loathe it yet they've made a movie out of it with Julia Roberts on a book that's always had lukewarm ratings (at best) from the get-go.

I wondered where Julia went these last years - where did she go - overseas for mucho plastic surgery :?: I thought she went into seclusion or worse, became very, very ill. No work that I know of. No photo-ops that I've seen. No ink in the gossip columns.

Instead we are fed a steady diet of swill on Lindsay Lohan and 50 other nobodies. Like I said, totally amazing. :o
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Eat, Pray, Love is a true story, yes? The Bridges of Madison County is a novel, so there is a difference right there. I was never able to get through Bridges of Madison County, I was just totally annoyed by it. Eat, Pray, Love was more entertaining, but it bothered me, too, mostly because I was so jealous of the author! She spent four months eating everything in sight, but I guess she has a fast metabolism, because just one cupcake for me and I can't zip my jeans. And just being able to take off a whole year , how lucky is that? If I could have gotten over my envy I probably would have enjoyed the book more :lol:
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

rainbells wrote:Eat, Pray, Love is a true story, yes? The Bridges of Madison County is a novel, so there is a difference right there. I was never able to get through Bridges of Madison County, I was just totally annoyed by it. Eat, Pray, Love was more entertaining, but it bothered me, too, mostly because I was so jealous of the author! She spent four months eating everything in sight, but I guess she has a fast metabolism, because just one cupcake for me and I can't zip my jeans. And just being able to take off a whole year , how lucky is that? If I could have gotten over my envy I probably would have enjoyed the book more :lol:

I don't know if it is true or not, but I have to agree with you. I probably am a bit envious of the heroine. I know I would take full advantage of the year to travel if I were in her shoes. lol
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

If a guy had written this book, it would have been:

Eat, Love, Sleep.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Eat, Love, Sleep.

Awwww. That's not fair. Men and women are both very diverse. Maybe the guys you have known. :)
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:

Eat, Love, Sleep.

Awwww. That's not fair. Men and women are both very diverse. Maybe the guys you have known. :)
Lol. I can assure you, you are very confused and I have never "known" any men in that light. Just going by what the women at work complain/joke about.

Its ok. Sometimes we find something funny and when we tell the joke going on in our hear...........we find out no one else gets it or it just wasn't worth mentioning. Happens all the time. Don't be embarrassed.
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I can assure you, you are very confused and I have never "known" any men in that light. Just going by what the women at work complain/joke about.
Don't be embarrassed.

This probably is not worth expanding on but I am not really sure what you mean by your first comment. And I am not embarrassed.

Return to “Everything Else”