• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Wuthering Heights

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jill315
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Wuthering Heights

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:
You know, when his wife throws herself over the banister, ultimately killing herself, the reader almost shrugs off the tragedy because they know Jane and Mr. Rochester can now be together, when, really, this "mad woman," whose story is never clearly explained from her perspective, ended her life for reasons we just assume, but don't know.
Wow, what an interesting perspective. That makes me sad though. I love the story of Jane Eyre. This perspective mars it. :(

lol sorry. I definitely had a "debby downer" moment. :)
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

:) No, sometimes the truth hurts. :P
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:It's called The Madwoman in the Attic by Gilbert & Guber. Amazon has it. I also read it in college. The authors make a good argument and I remember a lively discussion in my class. I always felt ambivalent about Rochester's wife also.
Is this the book you mention lindad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madwoman_in_the_Attic

This book looks fascinating! This discussion reminds me of the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper", Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Actually, we discussed this short story, if you are interested in reading it, look in the short story forum.

Of course Gilman was one of the pioneers of feministic literature, but "The Yellow Wallpaper" clearly demonstrates how women were percieved during this time period. Having a period, or having a baby, would render a woman ill, and sometimes this illness would be considered a mental illness, or a nervous condition if the woman presented any symptoms of depression. I have not read "Jane Eyre", I have seen the movie. The wife is portrayed as being a cumbersome speed bumb to the love between Jane Eyre and the husband, and is described by the husband as being beyond hope. Like I said, I have only seen the movie, the wife is portrayed as some type of monster. But, after reading stories like, "The Yellow Wallpaper", I have to take a second look, maybe the husband is the monster, and the one to be looked at with disgust. I do believe that "Jane Eyre" will be short listed for my TBR list.
jill315 wrote:You know, when his wife throws herself over the banister, ultimately killing herself, the reader almost shrugs off the tragedy because they know Jane and Mr. Rochester can now be together, when, really, this "mad woman," whose story is never clearly explained from her perspective, ended her life for reasons we just assume, but don't know.
I have to agree with SeeSpot, this is disturbing. The diagonsis of "nervous condition" could result in an imprisonment for women. The book, "The Madwoman in the Attic" may shed some light on the reasons the wife in "Jane Eyre" was imprisoned.

A big question that jumps out at me regarding "Jane Eyre" is; Isn't she afraid that the same fate awaits her?

Very interesting discussion.
jill315
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
lindad_amato wrote:It's called The Madwoman in the Attic by Gilbert & Guber. Amazon has it. I also read it in college. The authors make a good argument and I remember a lively discussion in my class. I always felt ambivalent about Rochester's wife also.
Is this the book you mention lindad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Madwoman_in_the_Attic

This book looks fascinating! This discussion reminds me of the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper", Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Actually, we discussed this short story, if you are interested in reading it, look in the short story forum.

Of course Gilman was one of the pioneers of feministic literature, but "The Yellow Wallpaper" clearly demonstrates how women were percieved during this time period. Having a period, or having a baby, would render a woman ill, and sometimes this illness would be considered a mental illness, or a nervous condition if the woman presented any symptoms of depression. I have not read "Jane Eyre", I have seen the movie. The wife is portrayed as being a cumbersome speed bumb to the love between Jane Eyre and the husband, and is described by the husband as being beyond hope. Like I said, I have only seen the movie, the wife is portrayed as some type of monster. But, after reading stories like, "The Yellow Wallpaper", I have to take a second look, maybe the husband is the monster, and the one to be looked at with disgust. I do believe that "Jane Eyre" will be short listed for my TBR list.
jill315 wrote:You know, when his wife throws herself over the banister, ultimately killing herself, the reader almost shrugs off the tragedy because they know Jane and Mr. Rochester can now be together, when, really, this "mad woman," whose story is never clearly explained from her perspective, ended her life for reasons we just assume, but don't know.
I have to agree with SeeSpot, this is disturbing. The diagonsis of "nervous condition" could result in an imprisonment for women. The book, "The Madwoman in the Attic" may shed some light on the reasons the wife in "Jane Eyre" was imprisoned.

A big question that jumps out at me regarding "Jane Eyre" is; Isn't she afraid that the same fate awaits her?

Very interesting discussion.

We also read "The Yellow Wallpaper" in that same class, and it was also an interesting story.

Your question about Jane becoming afraid of the same fate awaiting her is interesting, but I don't think she'd be concerned at all, and here's why:

Until rather recently, and even somewhat today, psychological disorders were almost always misunderstood - ESPECIALLY in women. I don't think it was Bronte's intent at all to instill pity for the troubled wife into the reader; rather I think her interpretation of what made a "good wife" versus a "bad wife" was reflective of the time period in which she wrote the book. You can't blame her characters, necessarily, because at that time women were supposed to be almost subservient to their husbands, while smiling along the way, rather than becoming depressed or going "mad." I'm not trying to sound feministic because I don't feel any hostility towards the character of Jane, or even Mr. Rochester, and I think rather than Jane feeling "worried" that she's about to encounter the same fate as the wife, she feels relieved that the madness is finally over (no pun intended :-) ) and probably finds her completely responsible for her own fate.

Hysterical women are often found at the center of many stories/books and are almost always portrayed negatively. Remember - Mr. Rochester's wife, (I'm sorry, I forgot her name!) is the antagonist of "Jane Eyre" - she is the reason Jane and Mr. Rochester cannot marry. Therefore, her "madness" is an obstacle with which other people must deal. I'm almost positive that Bronte's intent was to show the wife in a negative light.

If Bronte had ulterior motives, they were lost on me. But, then again, none of us ever really know an author's true intent, which is what makes books so addictive.

Wouldn't it be interesting, though, if Bronte actually meant for his wife to be the protagonist? That her illness could subside if only the relationship between Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester ended, and he could devote his time and care to his ailing wife? Who knows?.....
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I'm not trying to sound feministic because I don't feel any hostility towards the character of Jane, or even Mr. Rochester, and I think rather than Jane feeling "worried" that she's about to encounter the same fate as the wife, she feels relieved that the madness is finally over (no pun intended :-) ) and probably finds her completely responsible for her own fate.
There is nothing wrong with being “feministic” as you call it. :) And many feminists have no hostility, either. They are just challenging structures that give some people more power than others. There are some feminists that are hostile but I don’t think as much as the society would like us to believe. Really the image of the hostile feminist is a political structure which makes feminism seem like a bad thing. No one wants to be angry.- There is always that image of “lesbian man-haters” too. I had a couple of friends who are lesbians who said I don’t hate men’. ‘Some of the heterosexual women that I know are always complaining about men’ I thought that was pretty funny. :)
Wouldn't it be interesting, though, if Bronte actually meant for his wife to be the protagonist? That her illness could subside if only the relationship between Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester ended, and he could devote his time and care to his ailing wife? Who knows?.....
That would be interesting. I have never read the book of Jane Eyre but there is this movie version that I love of it. It may make a difference if I actually read the book. In the movie version, there is not necessarily animosity towards the wife of Rochester. It is her awful family who knew she was mad and tricked Rochester into marrying her for his money. (Dramatic Pause).

If they made that version of Jane Eyre it would be a completely different book, however. With the traditional temptress governess who was trying to steal Rochester from his wife. It always has to be the woman’s fault. :P
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I personally adore her because I consider myself a romantic. I think passion is often mistaken for "psychological instability" because it's so rare in today's society. But, to me, there is nothing more exhilarating than two people - consumed in the throws of love - but doomed because of social constraints. To me, that's how love should be; both tragic and euphoric.

But, that's why there's something out there for everyone. :)
I agree with you. I love the drama. It is so romantic! Not that I want that kind of drama in my own life. I am very happy with my undramatic married life, thank you very much. :)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”