• In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Faith in God! Really!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Azrael
Masters

Re: Faith in God! Really!

Unread post

Say and believe what you will. Any God worth their weight in salt would not standby and watch the horrors that go on day after day. Just as Jesus was created by imagination so to is this almighty power that people call God. You know the one that allows cancer to kill millions everyday, natural disasters destroy billions every year. Babies die at the hands of the parents or by abortion clinics. Murder, rape and other crimes continue on with no intervention from this Sky Fairy. He intervened during those fictional bible times all those thousands of years all of a sudden he stops! Does that not sound a little peculiar to you? Oh I know, if its good God did it, if its bad Satan did it right?

The word God in Christian terms means only one thing "money" all those pulpit pimps honk their wares from video tapes to books to bibles and everything in between. How much of that cash do the sheeples see? I bet not one red cent of it! Yet they generously give millions to these honking feel good, money hungry sharks thinking this God of theirs is going to heap all kinds of riches on them! Guess who gets the blame when it don't happen? Not your almighty God! Old Satan gets the blame! No if religion wants to change things it needs to die out just like the dinosaurs did only faster!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Why shouldn't god provide all those things?

Why should'nt god keep our population in check so that we can use the world he created for us without putting any unnecessary tax on any species he also created? An omnipotent god is capable of all this and more with absolutely no effort on his part.

God doesn't do these things because he is a figment of our imagination. If he were real, and still didnt do these things, that means he wants there to be homeless people, killers and plagues. If he did not want them, then they would not be.
Genesis 3
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Why shouldn't god provide all those things?

Why should'nt god keep our population in check so that we can use the world he created for us without putting any unnecessary tax on any species he also created? An omnipotent god is capable of all this and more with absolutely no effort on his part.

God doesn't do these things because he is a figment of our imagination. If he were real, and still didnt do these things, that means he wants there to be homeless people, killers and plagues. If he did not want them, then they would not be.
There are answers to your questions.
Your questions indicate that you have a 'need' to be answered
The fact that you don't know the answer demonstrates your ignorance of the Bible
That is not an insult, you have been convinced that there is nothing of value in the Bible.

The answer:
Genesis 3
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:Say and believe what you will. Any God worth their weight in salt would not standby and watch the horrors that go on day after day. Just as Jesus was created by imagination so to is this almighty power that people call God. You know the one that allows cancer to kill millions everyday, natural disasters destroy billions every year. Babies die at the hands of the parents or by abortion clinics. Murder, rape and other crimes continue on with no intervention from this Sky Fairy. He intervened during those fictional bible times all those thousands of years all of a sudden he stops! Does that not sound a little peculiar to you? Oh I know, if its good God did it, if its bad Satan did it right?

The word God in Christian terms means only one thing "money" all those pulpit pimps honk their wares from video tapes to books to bibles and everything in between. How much of that cash do the sheeples see? I bet not one red cent of it! Yet they generously give millions to these honking feel good, money hungry sharks thinking this God of theirs is going to heap all kinds of riches on them! Guess who gets the blame when it don't happen? Not your almighty God! Old Satan gets the blame! No if religion wants to change things it needs to die out just like the dinosaurs did only faster!
How far would you go if your were God? Would we live in Candy Land and eat gumdrops?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

I don't live a dream world thinking some sky fairy that no one has ever seen yet claim he works all these miracles. Sheeples need to wake up! If their God is up there he don't give a rats ass about none of you!
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

If there is no God to blame then we can only blame ourselves. Why are we so monstrous, uncaring, and sadistic that we are ok with the way the world is? We always find someone to blame. If it is not God it is the victim. The woman was raped because she wore a short skirt; the man is homeless because he is lazy; the cashier is making minimum wage because she has not bothered to look for a “better” job. But if you work hard then you will be as rich as Bill Gates. It is so simple. So we are not to blame either. So no one takes responsibility for evil in the world that can be avoided. We can choose to create a different world. But we don’t. So nothing will change.
Any God worth their weight in salt would not standby and watch the horrors that go on day after day.
So will we. So what does that say about us?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If it is not God it is the victim.
Neither, it is the perpetrator. The world today is so much better than centuries ago that it is beyond compare. Things are improving and will continue to improve. I'm not excusing the evils of human nature, the uphill ride will be fraught with interspersed plummets, but the general direction is upward.
Are you depressed? This half empty glass is also half full. We do indeed help each other, even though there is room for improvement. You could pick exceptions like bystanders watching a stabbed man bleed, but I could reply with photos of helicopters airdropping food to Tsunami victims.

It's not tit and it's not tat, the truth is always somewhere in the middle. But any loving god wouldn't let the shit hit the fan as much as it does.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The whole idea that a god would show differential concern for a certain person or a certain group because of worship paid to that god, is the problem of religion in a nutshell.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:
If there is no God to blame then we can only blame ourselves. Why are we so monstrous, uncaring, and sadistic that we are ok with the way the world is? We always find someone to blame. If it is not God it is the victim. The woman was raped because she wore a short skirt; the man is homeless because he is lazy; the cashier is making minimum wage because she has not bothered to look for a “better” job. But if you work hard then you will be as rich as Bill Gates. It is so simple. So we are not to blame either. So no one takes responsibility for evil in the world that can be avoided. We can choose to create a different world. But we don’t. So nothing will change.
Any God worth their weight in salt would not standby and watch the horrors that go on day after day.
There are many caring people who work, often at great risk to themselves, to make the world a better place. My late father-in-law was one such person, helping to build schools, hospitals and sanitation facilities in Panama, India, Romania, etc.

Christian eye doctor killed in Afghanistan

Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:08 pm

Dr Karen Woo, a British opthalmic doctor working in the north eastern province of Badakhshan in Afghanistan, with Christian Blind Mission (CBM) and partner agency IAM was shot and killed with her team, on Friday.

The group were were returning from an eye medical outreach visit in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan.

CBM, who have been working closely with IAM (International Assistance Mission) in Afghanistan for 30 years, expressed their deep condolences to the families and friends of Karen and her colleagues.

Mike Davies OBE, CBM’s Head of Overseas Programmes, said: "this tragic and needless loss of life will be felt not only by the families and friends of Karen and her colleagues, but by the people of Afghanistan itself, whom she died serving."

CBM is a major financial supporter of the NOOR Eye Care Program. NOOR provides eye care to all those who need it, regardless of their ability to pay. NOOR provide affordable, high quality ophthalmic medications and eyeglasses for IAM and other eye care providers; to train ophthalmic care providers at all levels; to reach a higher level of technical and financial sustainability; and to support the goals of the Vision 2020 initiative.

The Afghanistan-based IAM has been almost continuously present in Afghanistan since 1966, providing a wide range of medical services to people with visual, physical and mental health problems. Its work is facilitated by regular grants from CBM.

CBM has been present in Afghanistan since 1978, supporting a network of eight Afghan agencies working in the prevention of blindness field, and provides annual financial support amounting to about £250,000 a year.

With CBM help, the Kabul-based Noor Eye Hospital alone in 2009 was able to perform 15,000 sight-restoring operations on destitute cataract patients.

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=16623
Attachments
DR.jpg
DR.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Neither, it is the perpetrator.
I agree. Why is it that we do not put the blame where it belongs oftentimes? I suppose there are books on that question that would go into great detail. I know that people are complicated.
The world today is so much better than centuries ago that it is beyond compare.
Yes, that is probably true. That does not mean that we cannot expect more of ourselves than we currently do.
Things are improving and will continue to improve. I'm not excusing the evils of human nature, the uphill ride will be fraught with interspersed plummets, but the general direction is upward.
That is a very positive way to look at it. :)
Are you depressed? This half empty glass is also half full.
No, I am not depressed, although I know that I do sometimes can turn too much to the negative. My husband helps me out with that because he is a very positive person.
It's not tit and it's not tat, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.
That is true.
But any loving god wouldn't let the shit hit the fan as much as it does.
I don’t agree. In my opinion, a loving God lets us make our choices. The whole problem I see with the argument that the world is messed and therefore a loving God would never stand for it is that it diverts the blame from us. And ultimately we are responsible as a group for this mess, whether one believes in a God or not. You are right, there is a lot of compassion in the world as well as evil. That is good. And we are all imperfect. But we can take care of each and support each other even more than we do. I know that that is expecting a lot. I am way too much of an idealist.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”