• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Poetry in Person: Muriel Rukeyer

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Poetry in Person: Muriel Rukeyer

Unread post

This thread is to discuss chapter 3: Muriel Rukeyer Feb. 22, 1978.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Re: Poetry in Person: Muriel Rukeyer

Unread post

Rukeyser and London talk about Rukeyser's opinion that "anything that doesn't belong in a poem must be gotten rid of." If poems are about meaning this makes good sense. Poems are not long enough to have unnecessary material, just like short stories. If poems are about sound then there is no such thing as something that doesn't belong only things that don't sound right (consistent?)
Last edited by GaryG48 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

GaryG48 wrote:Rukeyser and London talk about Rukeyser's opinion that "anything that doesn't belong in a poem must be gotten rid of." If poems are about meaning this makes good sense. Poems are not long enough to have unnecessary material, just like short stories. If poems are about sound then there is no such thing as something that doesn't belong only things that don't sound right (consistent?)
Yeah, I think so too and this is what makes them hard to write.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

One thing that bothered me was that she claims poetry is not about anything but that it is informed by certain things...and then goes on to dicuss "plot".
I enjoy her poetry and do appreciate the "sound" of of her poems. But in this interview, I had the feeling that she enjoyed the sound of listening to herself talk, especially when she claims she generally dodges questions, interviews, etc--but hey! Come on! Let's talk. Let's criticize. Let's answer questions.
She comes across to me as being very pretentious. I had the feeling this is one of the cases where it is better to know the poetry but not the poet.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

oblivion wrote: She comes across to me as being very pretentious. I had the feeling this is one of the cases where it is better to know the poetry but not the poet.
You made me chuckle :lol:

I don't know how far you are in the book but there is a lot more pretension ahead. Wait till you meet the guy from Bakersfield who had to leave his mother because her life was stiffing his.

The book is really about how poems are made, how poets do the work, but a lot of the fun is listening to poets just talk about themselves.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I need to get reading, I'm falling behind!

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”