• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What you can learn and what you can't about creative writing

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Neil Griffiths
Getting Comfortable

What you can learn and what you can't about creative writing

Unread post

I am a published (award-winning) novelist and I teach creative writing. I have also what's called 'book-doctored' a number of novels.

So what can be taught / learned; what can't be?

Firstly, ways of approaching what you might want to write: basic stuff: should it be first person / third person / or perhaps second person; past or present tense.

The register of prose - each creative decision actually limits the kind of language you can use without interrupting the register.

And that fiction needs people not types. And people behave in ways that are both predictable and not predictable.

And lastly, if you take out all instances of the word 'very' in your prose - it will be improved.

Above is my starter for ten as I embark on my fourth novel, which is in third person, past tense, by the way.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: What you can learn and what you can't about creative writing

Unread post

Hello and welcome Neil:

Congratulations on your success as a novelist. Would you be willing to donate a copy of one of your books to BookTalk? I am sure there are members here that would enjoy reading a piece of your work, I would include myself in this group. I include myself because I do enjoy discussing a novel with its author, BookTalk is a wonderful forum for this type of conversation.
Neil Griffiths wrote:Firstly, ways of approaching what you might want to write: basic stuff: should it be first person / third person / or perhaps second person; past or present tense.
Second person narration, interesting and powerful. Have you ever used it?

Second-person view
Main article: Second-person narrative
Probably the rarest mode in literature (though quite common in song lyrics) is the second-person narrative mode, in which the narrator refers to one of the characters as "you", therefore making the audience member feel as if he or she is a character within the story. The second-person narrative mode is often paired with the first-person narrative mode in which the narrator makes emotional comparisons between the thoughts, actions, and feelings of "you" versus "I". Often the narrator is therefore also a character in his or her story, in which case it would technically still be employing the first-person narrative mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_mode

I have enjoyed your posts, looking forward to reading more.
Neil Griffiths
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I actually use all modes when writing in order to deepen the text, and then decide about halfway though which mode it should be in, often changing my mind two or three times. First two novels are in first person / present tense; new novel third person / past tense.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

My favorite mode is first person, past tense. I like to figure out how the narrator is lying to me, because they usually are in some aspect or another. Yes?

Second person narration is new to me. I will have to check this out, preferably on something a bit grander than a greeting card.
Neil Griffiths
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:My favorite mode is first person, past tense. I like to figure out how the narrator is lying to me, because they usually are in some aspect or another. Yes?

Second person narration is new to me. I will have to check this out, preferably on something a bit grander than a greeting card.
Yes - it's called the unreliable narrator. So maybe not lying as such, but very much a subjective account.

Bright Lights, Big City is second person - it's weird how you don't notice after a page or two. I paraphrase, but it's something: "So you leave work and don't know what to do. You go to a bar. You know the bartender, everyone there. You order a drink." etc. It's very effective.
Eunoia
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:My favorite mode is first person, past tense.
I agree.

I've just finished my first year at university studying Creative Writing, and before I never really considered writing in second person, but when I was told to write a piece in the second person I was surprised how well it actually worked for my story.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I started reading "Complicity" by Iain Banks and parts of that book were written in second person. Those parts were from the viewpoint of a sadistic killer and I was so off-put by the second person perspective that I put the book down! Not because it was poorly written, but because the second person perspective is so personal... when the killer did bad or twisted things, in a way I felt like I was doing those things, and it was really upsetting. I think the second person perspective has a lot of power, partially because it directs itself to the all-powerful ego of "you" and partly because it is used so infrequently that people are not jaded in regards to it.

I find choosing the perspective in a story extremely difficult. Maybe I over-think it, I'm not certain. But I constantly flip back and forth between first and third. I was under the impression that the common practice these days is to write in the present tense, regardless of the narration being first or third person. Sometimes I find it very awkward to write in the present tense though - I feel like the story seems more self-conscious because of it.

I remember reading some regarded author (Neil Gaiman perhaps?) who said: ideas are easy, it's the actual writing that's hard. I totally agree with that. I have so many ideas, but when it comes to committing them to paper, they get all tangled up and dirty with the words I use, the perspective I choose, etc. Somehow ideas are so fascinating, but once made real in words they're really mundane.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:I started reading "Complicity" by Iain Banks and parts of that book were written in second person. Those parts were from the viewpoint of a sadistic killer and I was so off-put by the second person perspective that I put the book down! Not because it was poorly written, but because the second person perspective is so personal... when the killer did bad or twisted things, in a way I felt like I was doing those things, and it was really upsetting.
Wow! That is powerful. I can see how the second person mode can be effective when trying to pull the reader in, and establishing a connection with the character. The example you have given Theomanic is a bit disturbing, I can understand the creepy feeling it gave you. However, if the character was the victim, I would think this mode of writing would be very emotional and also difficult to read.
Neil Griffiths
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I would happily donate one of my novels if someon wants to organise a reading group and then discuss it with me.

Return to “Creative Writing”