• In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What am I?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

What am I?

Unread post

What am I?
I have been in the sky,
and I have been in space,
it is no longer a race,
but I do fly.

Look closely
You think you know.
Not who am I but
What am I?
B192.jpg
B192.jpg (155.11 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: What am I?

Unread post

Wha...?
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

In the picture I see the Space Shuttle. (The NASA space shuttle is 1970s technology for putting people into space. The shuttle system is made up of four components (orbiter, two boosters, and fuel tank) of which only the orbiter is completely reusable. The boosters are semi-reusable and the fuel tank is destroyed while in use. It costs $500 million dollars per flight to run the space shuttle. May be replaced in the future by various RLV designs.)
In the riddle, I'm not so sure. Are you talking about the aircraft itself?
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Stahrwe, you do realize that the new addition to your signature is detrimental to the very nature of your belief structure? Are you really delusional enough to think that that quote applies to you, you who are so blinded by faith and belief that you can't even accept tangible evidence that you yourself can see?

That quote is exactly the opposite of what you have demonstrated yourself to be. That quote is aimed to be against people like you, not in favor of. How you can't see that is beyond all reason.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

It looks like a paper airplane is attached to this picture. Part of it looks like a feather. Is this a riddle? I'm guessing a feather. Or, maybe a paper airplane?

"The search for knowledge and understanding of the physical universe and of living things that inhabit it should be conducted under conditions of intellectual freedom, without religious, political, or ideological restrictions. That freedom of inquiry and dissemination of ideas require that those so engaged should be free to search where their inquiry leads, without political censorship and without fear of retribution and consequence of unpopularity of their conclusions. Those who challenge existing theory must be protected from retaliatory reactions." National Academy of Science Resolution of April of 1976

I like this, nice addition stah. :)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

NY152 wrote:In the picture I see the Space Shuttle. (The NASA space shuttle is 1970s technology for putting people into space. The shuttle system is made up of four components (orbiter, two boosters, and fuel tank) of which only the orbiter is completely reusable. The boosters are semi-reusable and the fuel tank is destroyed while in use. It costs $500 million dollars per flight to run the space shuttle. May be replaced in the future by various RLV designs.)
I am referring to the space craft touching down after returning from space on its maiden flight.

Hint: It is not: Enterprise, Columbia, Endeavor, Challenger, Atlantis, or Discovery.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:It looks like a paper airplane is attached to this picture. Part of it looks like a feather. Is this a riddle? I'm guessing a feather. Or, maybe a paper airplane?

"The search for knowledge and understanding of the physical universe and of living things that inhabit it should be conducted under conditions of intellectual freedom, without religious, political, or ideological restrictions. That freedom of inquiry and dissemination of ideas require that those so engaged should be free to search where their inquiry leads, without political censorship and without fear of retribution and consequence of unpopularity of their conclusions. Those who challenge existing theory must be protected from retaliatory reactions." National Academy of Science Resolution of April of 1976

I like this, nice addition stah. :)
This is a more of a puzzle than a riddle. There are no paper airplanes or feathers in the picture. Everything you see is real, as it happened, undoctored but your assumptions will likely cause you not to be able to figure out, 'What am I'.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Stahrwe, you do realize that the new addition to your signature is detrimental to the very nature of your belief structure? Are you really delusional enough to think that that quote applies to you, you who are so blinded by faith and belief that you can't even accept tangible evidence that you yourself can see?

That quote is exactly the opposite of what you have demonstrated yourself to be. That quote is aimed to be against people like you, not in favor of. How you can't see that is beyond all reason.
I disagree. In another post I included sworn testimony from a major scientist, an expert witness in McLean v. Arkansas against the teaching of Creationism in schools. In the sworn testimony, Dr. G. Brent Dalrymple testified that in preparing for his testimony he studied a number of creationists and their theories. The odd thing was that while he testified that he was aware of R. Gentry's theory and an observation he had reported which according to another expert witness could devastate the entire science of the age of the earth, he had not studied Dr. Gentry's theory. In the subsequent testimony, it became clear that the mainstream scientists are aware of Gentry's theory, of its implication, and a suggested experiment to investigate it further. Dr. Dalrymple testified, under oath, that R. Gentry is a credible scientist, that his theory has merit but that he did not include Gentry in his study because he 'didn't have time'. There is a lot of info on the web about Gentry, both pro and con. However, the fact that there is information, taken in a major lawsuit, under oath, distinguishes that information from the general noise of amateur scientists and the 'buy an expert to support your position' that is so prevalent.

This is off topic, but since you posed the question I answered.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

NY152 wrote:In the picture I see the Space Shuttle. (The NASA space shuttle is 1970s technology for putting people into space. The shuttle system is made up of four components (orbiter, two boosters, and fuel tank) of which only the orbiter is completely reusable. The boosters are semi-reusable and the fuel tank is destroyed while in use. It costs $500 million dollars per flight to run the space shuttle. May be replaced in the future by various RLV designs.)
What you see in the picture is not what you think you see.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Stahrwe, Gentry's search for understanding of the physical universe was NOT done under ideological freedom. He is motivated by his beliefs to come to certain conclusions and has been shown to be wrong.

Regarding Gentry and Polonium

Regarding Gentry and Redshift

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”