• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time.

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time.

Unread post

...to quote everyone's favorite, most lovable robot, Bender, from Futurama.

While Futurama will make a well awaited comeback this summer, Heroes will not be returning to NBC for a 5th season, and won't even have time to wrap up its complicated, ever twisting storyline.

From The Hollywood Reporter:
livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/ ... eroes.html

And I was looking forward to watching the next discs in the 3rd season this weekend! Now it looks like that may be a pointless gesture, since it will all lead nowhere.

What a shame.

Even Law & Order couldn't make the cut this year. I hope those new shows are as good as NBC hopes they are, or they're in for some major ratings losses. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Leno-O'Brien debacle?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time.

Unread post

Yeah, it definitely sucks. It's one of my favorite shows (although truth be told, I only watch it for Quinto now, which is the case for a lot of people now haha). NBC's definitely going downhill now. First Conan, then L&O, then Heroes... and I heard Carell is leaving the Office after next season, so that'll probably be next.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Such a waste. TV sucks. :lol:
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Everything ends. That doesnt make the journey meaningless. Usually, the journey is far more reward than the ending.

Take the HBO show "Carnivale". It ended after only two seasons, and it looked like the action was really going to take off for season 3, but it ended due to high production costs.

A very good show that ended up not having an ending, but i would highly recommend it all the same.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

There's a "Save Law and Order" page and a "Save Heroes" page on Facebook now. :lol: That was quick.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
NY_bookworm
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Oh no! They won't even wrap up Heroes? That stinks! And not Law and Order! It was going for some sort of record for longest running drama! :(
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yeah, them's the breaks.

My boyfriend convinced me to keep watching, and when I thought about it, I realized that a lot of the shows I love didn't have a chance to resolve their endings (Firefly, Dead Like Me, Harsh Realm, etc,), but I still love them just as much, so we've decided to continue watching what there is of Heroes and accept the ending for what it is or hope that a different network will eventually pick it up. :-P

After thinking it over before watching the next disc in the 3rd season of Heroes, I decided that you're absolutely right, Johnson, it's the journey that counts, not the ending, no matter how frustrated I get over loose ends. No story is ever truly 100% finished to any viewer/reader's satisfaction, and if it was, we would lose respect for it, because a good ending always leaves something to the imagination, anyway. Neat little packages are never as interesting as open ended questions, even if they drive you mad.

It's always nice to have someone around who challenges your ideas and is able to get you to see new levels of thinking and get past mental blocks you might not even have known were there. My boyfriend is awesome like that. I'm a lucky "goil." ;)
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Is your boyfriend Pop-eye?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Glad you caught the reference.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I really hated Heroes. I watched the entire first season waiting for it to be the show it could be: one with compelling characters and a clever story. I sometimes wonder if we're so starved for good TV that we're willing to accept substandard shows because contrasted to the generic crap on TV these days, anything with a speck of originality is amazing. And the concept for Heroes was very cool. I especially liked the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" mysteriousness. However, by the end of the first season I could practically speak the words the characters were going to say before they did. A mind-reader? No, it's just the show was so incredibly predictable.

I heard season two was very bad - whenever I complain about Heroes people nod sympathetically and agree that it got bad in second season, but wasn't first season great? No..... not really. It sure was almost great though! Many shows suffer from the writers trying to write characters smarter than themselves, and I think that was part of the trouble.

Maybe it's me! I think Fringe is pretty weak (though I still watch it) and I've heard a lot of people go on about how great it is (like, you have a special agent saving the world from technodestruction and she doesn't even have a partner? Yeah, sensible). I despise Stargate: Universe (my nickname for it is Stargate: Stereotype - not very clever but it conveys my thoughts on the matter).

I'm happy to let Heroes go if it makes room for another show that maybe will be great. But most likely it'll be replaced with Everybody Loves Raymond 2 or something equally generic. But I hope that people will learn from the mistakes of the original and build toward something even better.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”