• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Contrasting Elements

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
catherinek
Getting Comfortable

Re: Contrasting Elements

Unread post

Two contrasting elements I found are truthfulness and falseness.
The falsity comes from the misconceptions by the Europeans. To the Whites, Africans are nothing but savages. They know nothing of their culture and traditions so they already assume that they are inferior. The truth comes from the Africans whom possess their beliefs, culture, and way of life. Though the Europeans think they are more superior then them, the realism and being of their African culture gives them hope and power to carry on, therefore making them honest and true to themselves.

-Catherine K 1st period.
aaronyuu
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Two contrasting elements i see is the superego and the id. The id representing the Africans and the soon to be Europeans and the superego before the European's minds were corrupted. The reason I said that the id represents the soon to be Europeans is because their minds are slowly getting corrupted by the uncivilized, inhumane Africans. Before they set off to Africa they were civilized men but their journey is creating a monster inside them.

Aaron Yu 1st Period.
MattLeung1121
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I feel that two contrasting elements are evilness and corruption. There is a difference between the two things. You can see the difference within Marlow and the other Europeans. The Europeans are evil in the mind and therefore colonize Africa. However Marlow is taken over by the corruption, he has a good heart but his mind is corrupted by the journey. He had wanted to meet Kurt so badly yet he knew it may not happen. As he voyaged into the jungle, Marlow just slowly grew into a monster.
Jkwok

Unread post

I see the river in and of itself to be a huge contrast. At some points, it is very dangerous, causing many troubles like Marlow's shipwreck which inevitably led to him being stranded for three months, and the other time where the path the crew took down the river resulted in an attack by natives. At other times, the river is quite peaceful and does not cause much trouble. In that way, the river has a great contrasting element. The importance is to recognize the river as in a way moving the plot forward and in ways acting like the antagonist of Marlow's journey.
nikkodnp
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Two literary elements that i noticed in Heart Of Darkness is power and the uncivilized people. When the Europeans are in Africa, they use their power to colonize the population. The uncivilized people would be the Africans who get taken over by the Euopeans

Dominic Pardilla

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”