• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Contrasting Elements

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
PeterI

Re: Contrasting Elements

Unread post

Evan wrote:"Everything belonged to him-But that was a trifle. The thing was to know what he belonged to, how many powers of darkness claimed him for their own."
----Page 126

It probably comes across as overly simplistic, but two contrasting elements I found are compassion and...well...lack of compassion. Marlow himself, though he occasionally comes across as condescending (using the word "savage" a lot) still feels an exceptional degree of concern for the atrocities he witnesses. Other characters, particularly Kurtz, are manipulative and apparently have no compassion whatsoever. What they overlook is the human element: That to attain control and impose order, a megalomaniac must make other individuals suffer.

Many of history's problems have originated from lack of compassion. Wars are caused by pride, lack of understanding, universal hatred, but more than anything a lack of compassion and failure to realize the parallels that exist between all nations, between all human socities. Thus, even though the theme of compassion if very simplistic, it still ties greatly to the world at large.
I agree with Evan because i think the characters care differently about other people. Kurtz doesn't care much about the Africans while Marlow shows concern for others. Kurtz lacks feelings for others while Marlow shows a sense of care when people are dying around him.
anlei3
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Much of the "civilized" world viewed Africans as savages and beasts. They were not viewed or treated equally as humans yet they showed the most restraint. Marlow notes the insistent gnaw of hunger. Hunger is enough to drive even the most "civilized" and etiquette abiding gentleman into mad frenzy and extremes for nourishment. Yet, even though the cannibals were starving and outnumbered the whites by a large factor they did not attack. If the most prestigious of man easily succumbs to the primal rage of hunger but the most beastly of "savages" show adamant will and restraint, how can they be called savages?

-Andy 1st period.
cllaw
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The contrasting elements I found were "civilize" and "uncivilize". I think those two elements also represent light and darkness. The "civilize" are considered to be the white men, who are light skinned. The "uncivilized" are known to be the Africans, who are dark skinned. Throughout the novel, the "civilize" and the "uncivilize" are situated side-by-side. I think this shows that there's a middle between the two elements. And in the middle, there's a understanding of the both sides. I think as Marlow continues to travel deeper into the "Heart of Darkness" he gains more understanding of his surrondings.
Stephanie L

Unread post

Some co-existing elements that I see in this novel is Achieving but Failing. Marlow’s wish to see Kurtz but fail to achieve it. This whole novel so far talks about him longing to see Kurtz but after that raging war in the jungle, Marlow isn’t capable to encounter him. These are co-existing elements because it makes me question, what can Marlow do now after what he had long for dissolved? His confidence has crumbled and feels highly depressed. Marlow feels that this whole journey was a waste. I think that its purpose was to demonstrate Marlow’s perseverance to strive to get to where he is currently at.

Additionally, I believe this is parallel to the” Heart” of “Darkness” because what Marlow hoped and wished for, is now becoming an end by not seeing Kurtz and accomplishing what he been striving for. His lost on longing to see Kurtz had created his heart to become a place of darkness.

-Stephanie Logarta, 1st period
clouie
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The two main contrasting elements I see are light and darkness. Marlow's journey has both pros and cons due to what he is experiencing and what has occurred. Marlow's choice of going to Africa is because of curiosity and the fact that he wants to explore, is good yet bad. Now that it is happening, the more dangerous and darker it gets. This Helmsman man has already died because of the attack of spears ,what more can possibly go negative?

-cindyl. 1º
dadeng3
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I feel like power and lack of power are contrasting elements in HOD. The Europeans are the dominant foes, while the African as natives are the ones being taken advantage of. Example is when "the others" Cannibals were being fed rotten meat. Throughout the story the Africans are minor, and more focused on expedition toward Kurtz.
-David 1st period :D
honeychai
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with xmagickk. The river and Africa may be contrasting elements, like xmagickk said, the river is peaceful and quiet compared to Africa which is filled with mysteries and chaos. Both of these elements connect to light and darkness. The river is usually the light but it can also be dark because it in located in Africa, which contains darkness. Furthermore, Marlow's curiosity is leading him deep into darkness. Which means he is gaining more about it.
juyu5
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Two contrasting elements that I see is Africans and Whites which are also the uncivilized and civilized. They make Africans don't even seem like humans, just objects and it shows the Africans as innocent while Whites as evil. The purpose that Conrad puts in it is to show what really happened back then and it's a better understanding for us readers to know it.

-Julian from 1st period :).
iflorax3
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I agree with what Cindy said. I think the two main contrasting elements are light and darkness. Darkness is like the river and how he is going deeper and deeper. Lightness is like when that Russian dude welcome them. His Journey was good( lightness) and bad(darkness). When he goes deeper, bad things happen like seeing the Helmsman died by a spear and other cons stuff. After he got to the station he was welcome by a Russian man who seem really cheerful and maybe something good might happen. There might be lightness, but maybe not.

- Flora Wai 1st Period. :)
Last edited by iflorax3 on Mon May 03, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
IdaYu
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with Clara. The two contrasting elements can be "lightness" and "darkness." The light represents civilization (the white men) or the civilized side of the world and the dark represents the uncivilized (Africans) or savage side of the world.

---Ida Yu, 1st period.

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”