• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

14. The Key of Clear Green: Synesthesia and Music

#81: April - May 2010 (Non-Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

14. The Key of Clear Green: Synesthesia and Music

Unread post

Chapter 14.
The Key of Clear Green: Synesthesia and Music
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: 14. The Key of Clear Green: Synesthesia and Music

Unread post

Bleach, I think you may find this chapter to be interesting. He discusses synesthesia for color coded days of the week as well as musical synesthesia. The later chapters are much more interesting that the first ones.
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Veneer wrote:Bleach, I think you may find this chapter to be interesting. He discusses synesthesia for color coded days of the week as well as musical synesthesia. The later chapters are much more interesting that the first ones.
Yes they are and this is only the beginning of the better stuff. This is the beginning of some possible explanations.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Kalato
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am in chapter 19 on Keeping Time: Rhythm and Movement in the section on Memory, Movement and Music. This section is even more fascinating than the previous one. The story on Clive Wearing is just incredible. In general the plasticity of the brain comes up a lot and that strikes a hopeful tone. And music as a healing power for some of the various afflicted cases is also comforting and very interesting.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Ok, guys, because of your suggestions and good faith in continuing with the book, I'll do my best to give the second half a try. May not be all at once, and some chapters may have fewer words from me, but I'll give it a go. See you guys soon, maybe. ;)

Return to “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks”