• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Matt444
Official Newbie!

Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

Unread post

Writer Will Self is going to be interviewed tonight at 10pm on Sky Arts 1 - he talks about the role drug and alcohol addiction once played in his life. Found a good clip here: http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/video-in ... will-self/

The interview is part of a new series called In Confidence hosted by Professor Laurie Taylor. The show "delves beneath the surface of some of the most creative spirits of the decade in probing interviews": http://www.skyarts.co.uk/film-docs/arti ... onfidence/

Do you think having the odd drink, or other substance, is important in getting the creative juices flowing? After all, we wouldn't have Frankenstein if Mary Shelley hadn't famously been on a bender opium trip with her fellow literary mates. What do you think? :D
killax415
Getting Comfortable

Re: Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

Unread post

Maybe marijuana because that makes everything exciting for people so it might cause the writer to think outside the box more easily and a lot more. So im thinking yes, but depends one what drug cause some drugs make people stupid and some make people into somewhat of an artist.
GREEN tURN$ tO BLACk, GREEN $MOkE tO BLACk, GREEN BURNt tO BLACk -REBELUtiON
Darcia
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Ken Kesey wrote One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest while on acid.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's a smart idea or that it works for everyone in every situation. Using any sort of mind-altering substance changes your outlook and, therefore, sparks a new type of creativity. Or it can stymie creativity completely. I don't plan on an acid trip to see if the next book I write will be a bestseller and a blockbuster on the movie screen. But, who knows? For those who are suffering with writer's block, it might be an option. :twisted:
rled1934
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

no, you can't drive a car or drive a golf ball when your under the influence. What makes you think that you can write or be creative?
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I can drive a car while under the influence. I wouldn't recommend it or suggest that I do it often, just simply stating that I can. By your logic, I can therefore also write while under the influence. It may not be my best work, but I can do it, and there may well be some grain of it that is worth using in the future.

I don't think drugs should be used to induce a state of creativity where one is lacking it when sober, but it may free up some of the inhibitions and self-revision that many creative people go through while trying to write, so it could certainly be helpful if one decided to write during this period. Just don't try to read it to others until you're more clear headed and have done some editing, as likely it will be far less revealing and fascinating to them as it was to you when you wrote it.

And never drink and drive, and if you do, make sure to take a shot each time you pass a cop car.

I'm totally kidding, don't drink or use drugs and drive at all, kiddies. It ain't pretty and the fines are steep. Stay at home and write. ;)
Darcia

Unread post

Well, first, driving is not a creative behavior. The awareness, focus, and attention required in driving (or golfing) is completely different than that needed to tap into the creative center of the brain. Therefore, I don't think the comparison works.

Not that I'm suggesting drug use, boys and girls. But the comparison needs to be related to artistic behaviors; painting, sculpting, etc. These things have all been done by famous people while under the influence of mind-altering drugs.

Another issue is, of course, the type of drug. Crack and speed, for instance, do not create the same state of mind that marijuana or LSD do.

Also, are we calling caffeine a drug? By definition, caffeine is, in fact, a drug. Yet millions of people use it each day and function perfectly fine - or so they think. Caffeine is a stimulant, as is cocaine. Stimulants do not enhance creativity and therefore would not be useful.

Just a few of my random thoughts this morning...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I agree with everything you said, Darcia.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I think that certain substances definitely enhance creativity. I can also believe that some people are so uptight when they are sober, that they can't relax and imagine the same things when they are sober as they can when they are in an enhanced state. Lots of creative people work under the influence of something, and run the risk of losing everything (life, liberty, freedom) and for them it is a payoff that is well worth the risks.

Many of them died very young. (Morrison, Joplin, Cobain, Heath Ledger, Shannon Hoon, Poe, River Phoenix, Brad Renfro.....)wiki "List of drug related deaths"... I wonder if they would choose the same payoff again?
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Darcia

Unread post

I'm not sure the payoff for any of those people had to do with creativity. Janis Joplin was a wreck early on and had addictive tendencies. Morrison's cause of death was never determined. Kurt Cobain was severely depressed and killed himself, having really nothing to do with drug addiction. (Drug use was a reaction to the depression, not a cause.)

Of course, musicians are often tossed into a world of excessive drug and alcohol use. Even Johnny Cash had an alcohol and drug problem. He wanted to be more alert and able to handle the crazy touring schedule he was on. For most of these people, creativity suffers and was had little or nothing to do with their original intention when getting high. I think those situations are different from someone using on occasion to spark creativity. Abuse of any drug, even caffeine, is detrimental in many ways. Cause and effect are completely different in an abuse situation.

For the record, I don't do drugs. I am, however, a product of the '70s and I survived unscathed. :)
Rancher1
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

:o Nope I don't.

Though I do like a glass of wine sometimes while writing at the end of a hard days work. It is relaxing.

Do I need it to write? No.

Do I think it makes me write better? No.

I guess it goes back to differnt strokes for different folks. :lol:

Return to “Creative Writing”