• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What is your relationship with music?

#81: April - May 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Re: What is your relationship with music?

Unread post

Your spatial calendar in technicolor is totally cool. The only thing that I have that remotely resembled that was that when I was kid and maybe even now I thought of vehicles in terms of gender. Not in a sexual or genitalia fashion but just simply cars were women and trucks were men. BTW the same for cats and dogs. I guess now I would simply say that cars seem feminine and trucks masculine. Perhaps I have some Spanish blood thrown in with all the dumb Irish.

Yes I remember the landing at Plymouth rather well, it was right after Khrushchev banged his shoe on the podium at the UN and they launched Sputnik! What color changes did Wagner have to make?
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Veneer wrote:What color changes did Wagner have to make?
None, really, he just went into the 1800 color century instead of the 1900 color century. I see the 1800s as being a dull orange, and the 1900s as being white, with the numbers of the decades being black in descending order on a white background. Like I said, really hard to explain.

Also, the colors aren't really "technicolor," as they're not bright and vibrant, they're pretty dull and muted colors, but colors all the same. I wish I could paint a picture of what I see in my mind when I think of this, but so far none have ever come close to true representation.

(Weirdo. :lol:)
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I can drive my loved ones crazy with my ability to listen to the same song over and over for a while. I am just trying to assimilate it into my being, and I have found headphones to be handy now. Music is a constant part of my life that I know almost nothing about. I do not look up much info on musicians that I like, I just like what I like and di8scard the rest. Some musicians I have liked for a long time I get to know pretty well, but others barely know the musician's name/album title.

Music can heighten moods, but almost never change my mood. My brain does select it's soundtrack based on my internal thermometer sometimes, other times it is just repeating something I heard or thought of, when I meet/work with someone who has a musically celebrated name, I hear their songs for a while when I see them, "Marie", "Renee", "Donna". Thankfully people don't do that as much these days.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
kneedeep
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Music is something of a wonder drug for me. Over the course of a day I will play a wide variety to adjust my attitude for the situation at hand. I listen to New Age instrumentals when I wake up irritable with low blood sugar or come home from work with a headache, Rock to pump my blood up for exercise or work, Jazz, such as Gerry Mulligan or Joe Henderson,playing softly next to the bed to put me to sleep. Boogie Woogie and Swing lift my spirits, Alternative music is good when I'm bored, and of course there is always something to inspire a romantic mood.
Lorelith Ium

Unread post

Music is weird. It's 'different' from language, yet the nature of the 'difference' remains occult.
Music is waves. Music is tones. Pitch. Music is relative.

What for some is 'music', for others it is not.

Do we really 'perceive' it through our ears ... or is there a yet unfound (co-)sensor for ... "music"?

I am a compulsively analytical mind, and my relationship with "music" is often defined by 'indifference'. It might not be quite as described in the book (where it is called a 'syndrome') - there are exceptions ... weirdly. Or perhaps 'indifference' might be the wrong word, but I often do not understand people who claim they 'love' music, because I do not even know how to define 'music', and I am not sure if they themself try to define it beyond emotional value. Often perhaps, there is no need for other than emotional explanations, but Oliver Stacks' book opens the discussion about music in a more scientific paradigm.

When I say 'indifference', I mean it has no other aesthetic-emotional value for me than 'language'. They are so alike (for me), music and language, - tones, rhythm, waves. Sometimes language (even written) seems to me like 'music', and sometimes 'music' is 'just' language. I also have some sort of synaesthesia which enables me to see 'forms' and 'dynamics' in words as in sounds. Perhaps this adds to my difficulty to really define or understand why music is so different from language.

From the point of view of physics, both 'phenomena' are waves. (Or well, the theory would become more complicated would we consider quantum physics.)

Reading a book by Oscar Wilde or Vladimir Nabokov gives me the same intense feeling and perception like when listening to Beethoven's Sonata "Pathetique".

Earworms - this phenomenon occured among my synapses too. :) But then again, certain words and sentences too. See memes. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme )

And last but not least, here a fragment of perfection, a fragmented fragment :) of what we like to call 'musica universalis' or the "music of the spheres":

Carmen of the Spheres : http://www.archive.org/details/GregFoxC ... theSpheres

Is this "music" or "waves" or "random sounds" ... ?
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

Veneer wrote:I hate the 12 tone scale, or at least I think I do.
Let me say that what you hate is the twelve tone ROW, not the scale. Virtually all western music uses the same twelve tone scale as Schoenberg used, including your favorites, Rimsky-Korsakov and Stravinsky... Also, Stravinsky played around with 12 tone rows, too. For instance, how do you feel about "Requiem Canticles"?

A "row" is a technical term meaning that the musical figure uses each note in the mode once and only once. A 12 tone row therefore visits each note in the 12 tone "chromatic" scale one time only. As a result, there is generally no obvious key center, which is what leaves many listeners feeling somewhat disoriented or unsettled. Like all music, it is an acquired taste. If you grew up listening to Shoenberg, Berg, and Webern, you probably wouldn't think of this methodology as all that hateful.

There are a few examples of Western music that don't confine themselves to the 12 tone chromatic scale. One of my favorites is Charles Ive's "Three Quarter-Tone Pieces for Two Pianos". Two pianos are necessary, because one of them needs to be tuned a 1/4 step down from the other, so that there are 24 pitches per octave, between the two of them. This arrangement allows for tonalities and chords that just aren't available in the normal piano literature.
Last edited by Randall R. Young on Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamsebrown
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Actually You just hurt your relationship? General songs and suggestions before you get back together - or cure a broken heart. If you have a broken heart, to begin the healing process, these songs perfect start, make you feel happier, to cure a broken heart. I am sure at this point, you do not like to listen to the songs really happy .

Return to “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks”