• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Favorite Stephen King Book

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MLeigh85
Almost Comfortable

Favorite Stephen King Book

Unread post

I am such a fan of Stephen King. He is the one that actually got me to start reading as much as I did. Pet Cemetrary (not sure of the spelling on the one) at the age of 11 it got me hooked. Now I know alot of his books go off the deep end, especially at the end, it is very irritating to me too :!: . I am just posting to see what others will say. Now I am currently reading his Dark Tower series, I am on The Wizard and The Glass, absolutely entertained with this book. My all time favorite read from him is definitely The Stand. His worst book, to me, is The Tommyknockers. This is the book where he just goes completely bonkers towards the ending. I know some people are not fan of his and if you want to give an explanation that would be fine. I am always interested in what others have to say about an author that I absolutely adore :D .
E PLURIBUS UNUM
QUOD SUM ERIS
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Favorite Stephen King Book

Unread post

I'm actually planning on reading The Stand during school, since I finished Atlas Shrugged. I'm a big fan of (post) apocalyptic fiction, so it'll be good.

I really liked "Under the Dome," his newest book. Definitely long though. His short stories are also pretty good, but I haven't really read too many of his books. My mom keeps buying me them so I'll read them eventually.

I also love his articles in Entertainment Weekly. He seems very down to earth.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I'm not at all a fan of Stephen King, but I would like to read his novella The Mist. I've seen the movie a few times, and I think it was well done except for the supernatural element, which I think was over CGIed and so ridiculous that it took away from the entire movie, but the story was intriguing and a good look at how people react in crisis situations. Pretty deep stuff, and even though I could call the ending (I tend to be good at that), I still think the story would be worth reading in its original form. It's pretty low on my long list of books I consider necessary for me to read, but hopefully I'll get to it someday.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

They had to cut budget on the CGI to keep the ending.

Besides that, there was a lack of good design on those creatures. They shouldn't have looked like just big spiders.

Still one of the best King movies, and i think they were right to keep that ending.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

My favorate King novel is Misery.

I am not a fan of horror in general and I particularly don't care for King for the reason stated above; his books generally just keep getting further and further out as they reach for a silly ending. Misery is an excdption, the characterization matches the story line and the ending is the best one possible.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
MLeigh85
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I have not read Under the Dome yet or Misery. Some fan I am!! I really like his short stories, and not all of them are horror. His book Different Seasons has 4 short novellas, including The Shawshank Redemption, but the title is something different.
wilde you will enjoy The Stand if you like post-apocalyptic tales, Cell and The Dark Tower series also kind of go hand in hand with that type of genre. The movie on The Stand is very long though. I am not a fan of the movies they make out of his books with the exception of Shawshank Redemption and Misery.
E PLURIBUS UNUM
QUOD SUM ERIS
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

MLeigh85 wrote:I have not read Under the Dome yet or Misery. Some fan I am!! I really like his short stories, and not all of them are horror. His book Different Seasons has 4 short novellas, including The Shawshank Redemption, but the title is something different.
wilde you will enjoy The Stand if you like post-apocalyptic tales, Cell and The Dark Tower series also kind of go hand in hand with that type of genre. The movie on The Stand is very long though. I am not a fan of the movies they make out of his books with the exception of Shawshank Redemption and Misery.
I didn't know or had forgotten that King wrote Shawshank Redemption. I really enjoyed the movie so I should look up the short story--thanks for the tip.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I am hot and cold about Stephen King. I loved The Stand when I read the first edition, back in 1980 or so, but then he made it longer, and when I read that version, it didn't seem as good. My favorites are Delores Claiborne, Rose Madder and Insomnia. Some of his books, though, I just can't get through. They are too horrible, graphic and gooey deaths just don't do it for me. I used to buy his books, and make my mom read them first, and she would tell me if I could handle them or not. No animal or children kills or tortures, no Satanism, no gory deaths. I loved my mom, she read and reviewed for me all of the books I gave her even though she didn't care much for Stephen King. Now I am on my own, and I read the first page of The Dome, and when the beaver got chopped, that was the end for me. I am such an old baby!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:They had to cut budget on the CGI to keep the ending.

Besides that, there was a lack of good design on those creatures. They shouldn't have looked like just big spiders.

Still one of the best King movies, and i think they were right to keep that ending.
I loved the ending. Even though I saw it coming, I thought it was the perfect and only way to end that story. I just hated the giant bugs. I mean, seriously, guys, come on. A simple clown was enough to scare the shit out of people in It, so why did The Mist need overdone, Evolution (the silly David Duchovny film) type monsters to act as the scary thing? If they had showed me nothing that was in the mist, but still showed the reactions that the characters had and the fear they experienced, I would actually have been more frightened, because the unknown is far scarier than giant spiders and other such bugs. George Lucas said something about his own redoing of the monster on the ice planet Hoth, something to the effect of "some directors think that the less you see of a monster is actually more scary," but he wanted you to actually see the monster, which I do think took some of the intensity away from that scene (having seen it both ways, I definitely liked the first version better, where all you see of the monster is his arm being cut off of him by Luke before he runs away). In a horror movie, less really is more, because the more you explain, the less is left to the imagination, which, in my experience, creates far creepier villains than any computer graphics could come up with.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

GaryG48 wrote: I didn't know or had forgotten that King wrote Shawshank Redemption. I really enjoyed the movie so I should look up the short story--thanks for the tip.
Just so you know what to look for, the story that the movie The Shawshank Redemption is based on is called "Rita Heyworth and Shawshank Redemption."

That is the only Stephen King movie I love 100%, most likely because it is pretty much a word for word following of the story (except for Morgan Freeman's character, who is supposed to be white and Irish with red hair, but they loved Morgan Freeman so much they changed the role for him :-P), and it doesn't have anything to do with the supernatural. Truly an amazing movie.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”