• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Diary of a Madman

#80: Mar. - April 2010 (Fiction)
blankspace101
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: The Diary of a Madman

Unread post

I think the man is equally as insane in the beginning of the story as he is in the end. He doesn't seem to perceive reality as it is from the very beginning.

Like how he mentions how he has heard conversations that dogs have had and how he believes that dogs are more intelligent than people.

Although, this may be true in some cases I have found :laugh:
-why can't we all just have a little fun as we ponder our way through this crazy school of life?
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

One thing I found especially intriguing about this short story was the idea that things are what they appear to be. We see this in the beginning of the story, when the madman says "Our director must be a very intelligent man. His whole study is lined with books" (p. 4). The madman clearly takes everything at face value, and does not attempt to delve any further into the director's character. He does the same thing with women, which is interesting in and of itself. Perhaps Gogol's point is that basing things on appearances helps to keep the aristocracy running while simultaneously running the lower class citizens into madness.
Cool comment. I keep wondering throughout this story if everything that is happening is all in the character's mind. The story was hilarious at the beginning but the end was sad. :( I love the letters written by the dog. So funny. But in both cases the letters and the inquisition, I am thinking that it is possibly all part of the character's illness.
kmfssc
Master Debater

Unread post

Have to say for diary entries they have to be some of the funniest I have ever read. Its taken me a while to get into the book, mostly due to my crazy schedule but so far I am loving it.

I loved the part about the dogs writing letters to one another. I read that part late at night one evening I had this dream about my dogs (I have two) somehow writing letters to one another and dogs we have met at the dog park. I'm not sure which one was more comical, my dream or the book.
Aida
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think that the character goes insane due to some kind of social frustration. He cannot reach the director's daughter because of his low position and lack of money (he is even ashamed to speak to her because his coat is out of fashion), he is nagged at work by the Divisional Chief, and at the same time he is proud of being a noble man and theater-goer. Then he learns about a possible wedding of the lady he likes and he is in despair: "High officials, senior officers, they get all the best things in this world. You discover a crumb of happiness, you reach out for it and then along comes a high official or an officer and snatches it away. Goddammit! I would like so much to become a high official myself and not just to obtain her hand in marriage cither. No, I'd like to be a high official just so that I could watch them jump around for my benefit..." (sorry for the long quote) No wonder that in the society where his social position is the clue for everything, he imagines himself to be the King of Spain.

For those who have wondered, in Russian "lead someone by his nose" (literally) means to make a fool of someone, and "leave someone with his nose" (again, literally) means to leave someone without something he had hoped for.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Aida wrote:I think that the character goes insane due to some kind of social frustration. He cannot reach the director's daughter because of his low position and lack of money (he is even ashamed to speak to her because his coat is out of fashion), he is nagged at work by the Divisional Chief, and at the same time he is proud of being a noble man and theater-goer.
An interesting thought, Aida, I had been convinced that he was always mad but I can see where Gogol would be right in character to be telling us that frustration with the bureaucracy can drive someone mad.
Aida wrote:For those who have wondered, in Russian "lead someone by his nose" (literally) means to make a fool of someone, and "leave someone with his nose" (again, literally) means to leave someone without something he had hoped for.
Thanks for the information. That explains a lot about this story and about "The Nose."
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost

Return to “Diary of a Madman and Other Stories - by Nikolai Gogol”