• In total there are 41 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Young Earth Creation theory put to rest!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Young Earth Theory put to rest!

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:... alien seeding theories ... solves nothing in the end and provides absolutely no alternative to evolution.
hmmm. I agree there is no direct evidence for alien intelligence. What I don't comprehend though, in terms of evolution, is how the Egyptians built the pyramids. The intelligence in the design and construction of the pyramids seems so far in advance of any human knowledge, incorporating mathematical ratios for the whole earth and unbelievable precision in placement of immense stones. The decline in ability to make pyramids indicates a loss of this high ancient knowledge. Evolution proceeds by small steps, not by vast jumps. Ability to make pyramids seems unprecedented in terms of prior human evolution. Maybe it is just a myth, but I'm not sure you can dismiss the idea that the pyramids, especially when they were covered by shining white limestone until the Muslim conquest, are signs of external contact with the earth. Graham Hancock's material on how the tubes from the pyramid chambers point to stars is compatible with such a claim. But it would be nice to think humans were smart enough to make the pyramids without help.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I have noticed that, usually, when you ask a person why some task is impossible, they will usually give you a fairly good plan on exactly how to tackle it in a feasible way.

Ancient humans could not have possibly created the pyramids because they would have had to quarry stone from miles away, painstakingly roll them to the site on a series of log pulls, have hundreds or thousands of workers on hand to muscle them into place, build sand traps to erect the heavy blocks, and then polish them until they shine.

Clearly, this kind of thing is possible. Especially when you have your own nation to force into hard labor.

As for the mathematics? Is it so hard to believe that history is not just a series of achievements? Look at the middle east. Once a beacon of science, intellectualism, and the pursuit of knowledge, now a fractured, tribal blood-feud. (brought on by a resurgence of fundamentalist religion. Go figure.)

Dark ages Europe was no picnic after the comparative grand works of Greece and Rome. All cases of people losing knowledge and having to re-discover it. Why could this not be true of the Egyptians?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Hey Robert, I'm not saying that aliens definitely don't exist or that they couldn't have visited the earth in the past. It isn't proven but It's possible. It also doesn't negate evolutionary processes existing in the universe either. Some people would say we didn't evolve, evolution is wrong, rather we were genetically engineered by alien life. The point is where did that potential alien life that came and engineered us originate from? It just pushes the question of origins back. They would have been genetically engineered as well. But at some point somewhere down the line life would have had to evolved into existence. To step from the BB to the first class of alien life to the aliens that seeded the earth evolution has to fit in somewhere, or we're back to a supernatural God (with no beginning or end and uncreated) deciding to create aliens that decided to create more aliens that at some point came to the earth and engineered humanity. It's a mess. The point is that evolution would have to remain as a process in the universe and the alien seeding ideas don't eliminate it.

John Anthony West thinks that humanity evolved to high knowledge during the last several Great Year's and then went through lows during the bottom of the Yuga cycles. It's atlantian type ideas for the knowledge of Egypt, not alien seeding. And this doesn't provide an alternative to evolution either. So YEC, OEC, AS, and Atlantian ideas fail to provide an alternative to the evolutionary process as I understand. So all of this butting heads with science about discovery of evolution is unwarrented at best.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I'm not suggesting anything contrary to evolution, just pointing out that the unique nature of the Egyptian pyramids may be hard to explain through the incremental logic of evolution. Anyway, it is a fun topic to invent myths for.

Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, Horus and Thoth, maybe three or four others to make up the eight (ogdoad) or the nine (ennead), land in the ocean in a space pod from a distant star. They move to Egypt because it is fertile, isolated, climatically stable and at the geographic meeting point of the main land masses of the planet. Over thousands of years they live as semi-secret Gods. The fields of reeds are due west of the Nile mouth in the Bay of Libya, where the alien gods live on floating islands and some humans are allowed. They largely keep their knowledge and existence invisible to humans, but arrange to build the pyramids as a monument to their cosmic origins. Carrying his trusty harmonic djed, Osiris gradually morphs into the green god of life and death and the sun. Meanwhile, he and his team establish Atlantis by building oceanic cities on large fabric bags of floating fresh water. The end of Atlantis comes when much of California falls into the sea with a giant slip of the San Andreas Fault, sending a mile high tsunami several times around the world ocean that obliterates the hidden alien civilization on the high seas, with Aeolia the only remnant.

Here are some sites of possible interest - endless ...
http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_2.htm
http://www.cheops.org/startpage/thefind ... ndings.htm
http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/pyr ... .html#star
http://initiation.cc/assets/images/CheopsPic.jpg
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3459621/The-G ... he-Earth-I
http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/FordR3.php
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:The evolution of creationist apologetics.

A) Primitive = YEC: God created the world in six days about six thousand years +/-ago and science is wrong, there's no evolution.

B) Advancing = OEC: God created the world billions of years ago, as science shows, but God created man in his own image and there's still no evolution even though science says there is.

C) Modernizing = ID: God created the world billions of years ago and it has been evolving just as science says, but God has been directing the evolving process which resulted in humanity.

Where can they go from here? At some point it would seem that they'll have to flat out take up the scientific method for what it actually is because they've been coming closer and closer to it, step by step, all along. At some point the two paths seem destined to converge. By then those who remain in the primitive and advancing stages would likely be such a minority that they have no pull any more. The rejection of science will have faded out altogether. This new converging realm is where a Christian like Robert seems to fit in and is currently pioneering and discovering possibilities. It accepts the scientific method and pushes beyond ID fallacies.
You make this sound ike a progession but it is not.

The scientific method has one requirement within it which dooms it to ultimate failure.
Last edited by stahrwe on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

It fails to conform to your favorite fairy tales?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The scientific method has one requirement within it which dooms it to ultimate failure.
The same one you've been shown to be wrong about multiple times? Let's hear it again!!!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:It fails to conform to your favorite fairy tales?

No, repeatability. Do you remember the post I did once before about repeatability?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

I haven't heard it yet Stahrwe, just for the sake of knowing I'd like to hear what dooms the scientific method to ultimate failure.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

No, repeatability. Do you remember the post I did once before about repeatability?
I remember. Do you remember my explanation for why you're dead wrong? Google it, you'll save yourself some embarrassment. :lol:

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”